Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Sagging Dashboard '87 Carrera

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 07:10 PM
oscarfors
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sagging Dashboard '87 Carrera

My dashboard is sagging about 1/2" on the right side, above the speedometer/watch. I assume this is from heat over the years. The dash is generally in fair condition with only a minor crack where it flattens out over the vent. I think I can fill this minor crack and make it look good.

A new used dash is $$$. Has anyone tried to correct an issue like this? Heat it with an air gun and bend it into shape and insert a temporar supporting device (wooden block) under it while it cools off?
Attached Images  
Old 10-22-2013, 02:45 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I wouldn't use heat, I'd just make a wooden support shaped how you'd like the dash to be shaped and prop it up with a tad bit of pressure. Given time you may even add shims to your wood to push it up until it is back to normal. Think of it as orthodontic.
Old 10-22-2013, 08:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,144 Likes on 818 Posts

depending on your location the temp from the interior might even do it .. if you are in florida or california Doufs idea just might do the trick .

Never actually seen one sag .. Door pocket covers yeah but dash ? , probably because i live in a cooler climate though
Old 10-28-2013, 01:42 PM
JQ911
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I had the same sagging issue on my dash same area as yours on the center gauge cluster. Mine was even worse where the center ac vent opening warped leaving a gap between the ac vent and the hole. I ended up buying a decent dash at a dismantler but I still have the original dash hoping to be recovered someday. I guess it has to be braced or something for a while until it goes back to its original form.
Old 10-28-2013, 02:55 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Might as well try...there is a thread on the P site where a guy roller plasti dipped his cracked dash after filling the cracks...looked very good for a DIY project.
I'd try a heat gun on it after I'd propped it in the proper position then let it take a set.

Quick Reply: Sagging Dashboard '87 Carrera