Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

911 Restoration Help in Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2013, 05:14 PM
pmarnell
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 911 Restoration Help in Atlanta, GA

Hey all, I've just picked up a great 89' 3.2 Targa in really good shape with only 39K miles! It is mechanically very sound and I am using the guys at German Car Repair in Roswell, GA for all non-DIY mechanical work. It is a great shop.

I am looking to tackle some interior projects starting with a full re-do on the carpets (floor carpet + mats + doors, etc.). I have been recommended to the 'Mad Stitcher' Upholstery in Chamblee for interior.

Atlanta has a huge Porsche population - and everyone I know has lived in Atlanta at one point in their life. Has anyone used them or does anyone have other recommendations in the Atlanta region for restoration / interior work?

BTW - this forum is amazing. It makes owning the car that much more fun...
Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2013, 07:29 PM
Usedcat
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an '87 that I bought in march???I have not used anyone yet for repair or interior but planned to use Automotive Professionals on zone lite drive over in decatur for mechanical stuff. I did talk to Marietta Auto Trim as I was using them for some work-related things and they were pretty knowledgeable on porsche interiors so may be worth at least talking to them...

Will be interested to see other suggestions as I am new to this too and really don't know best places to go
Old 10-16-2013, 08:27 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

No recommendations for restoration work but would love to come see your car one day.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 PM
pmarnell
8th Gear

Thanks for the note on Marietta Auto Trim, UsedCat. I will let you know how it pans out and who I end up using.

Jerry - good deal. I live in the Roswell area. This is my first Porsche so I am definitely looking for opinions on my car and ideas for projects. If you're up my way send my a PM.

Cheers!
Old 10-17-2013, 12:38 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Will do!!
Old 10-17-2013, 08:59 PM
parkerfe
Burning Brakes

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Small world. I live in Cumming and just bought a 1988 911 M491 cabriolet yesterday and plan to pick it up in Kentucky in a week or so. I have used John Dutton at Mad Stitchers for a Ferrari, SL and 240Z. He does great work.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:44 PM
pmarnell
8th Gear

Congrats! I think I saw another post from you discussing picking it up?

Thanks for the referral to Mad Stictchers as well. Some other updates regarding this thread:

* Marietta Auto Trim seems reputable http://www.mariettaautotrimshop.com/ 50-year old private business. Talked to Shawn over there. They buy all there kits from GAHH http://www.gahh.com/ and pass that price through (they may have a markup in there but you're getting it at the same retail price as if you called them yourself). The prices are not the cheapest but my impression from their site and talking to them on the phone is that they are buyng the best quality carpets and have been building aftermarket kits for Porsche and other high-end cars for a long time.

I got a sense that they have more experience with Porsches over the Mad Stitcher - but I guess a master with upholstery would be better than a novice with lots of Porsche knowledge?

* I've started to reconsider my total carpet replacement project for a DIY effort in just replacing the piece that is torn and finding a way to really deep clean all the carpets. Where a dead pedal should be there is a tear from left-foot action. My idea is to buy a square yard from GAHH and replace just that piece. I don't think there is piping or any detail on that particular piece but will verify that tonight. Other than that concern I'm curious to see how close a new piece would match the color of the rest. I'll let you know.

* Other suppliers of carpet kits I have seen are http://appbiz.com/ and http://www.classic9leathershop.com/index.php?p=home Based on the prices I'm guessing they aren't just reselling GAHH kits

I'll try and update here when I'm done. Cheers!

Paul

Quick Reply: 911 Restoration Help in Atlanta, GA