Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Just bought a 88 3.2!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 01:04 AM
AFhokie
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I made it!

1500 miles later, I made the trip from DC to OKC with zero tickets and zero malfunctions. The car is amazing, drives like nothing else, and gets more attention than I ever thought it would.

I've also discovered my first problem. The first night of driving the car, I noticed the dome or seat belt lights or either side would not extinguish with the doors closed. This evening, while doing research on the issue on these forums, I've discovered theres a buzzer (mine doesn't work, and also doesn't work when the lights are left on), a glove box light (mine only works when clicked to on), a seat belt light and lord knows what other lights and gadgets in this car aren't working.

Are these just electrical relays that need replacing or is this indicative of a far larger electrical system issue.

Other than that, the car is amazing (I think). Pictures from the drive home to follow!
Old 10-31-2013, 01:30 AM
AFhokie
Advanced

Default Found it?

More research says its relays in the front behind the oil.

The attached picture shows what I think are two relays, a black and a silver and what appears to room for two more directly to the left of the black one. Is that correct? Someone just yanked out those two because the buzzer and seat belt was annoying? Are the dome lights and glove box lights also tied into these relays?
Attached Images  
Old 10-31-2013, 02:01 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

You really need a copy of the Bentley 3.2 Carrera shop manual if you plan on doing much of your own work. It prevents a lot of guessing and is much less expensive than the factory shop manuals.
Old 10-31-2013, 08:51 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 136 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tulliotk
Any objective, rational Porschephile will tell you that all-black '88 Carreras with a tail are the best 911 you can get. Congrats!
I second that motion and very nice ride OP

Buzzer wise, my doesn't work either. My glove box light is rectangular light, just outside and above the box. Is yours the same? If so, mine only works when manually operated as well. My interior light, is the same style as the glove box, but it does work automatically when opening the doors. I do not have a seatbelt light, but I believe your '88 is different than my '84 in some ways. I for one, do not concern myself with little electrical issues in a 30 yr old car, but relays is always the easiest and cheapest way to start.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:39 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,153 Likes on 826 Posts

Yeah i have a 78 and although could help you through just about all of those issues, i think you need a good electrical guy with a Carrera to help you. You absolutely need to get a Bentley and be able to read and understand electrical schematics.

Sounds like issues with your door plunger switch or related wiring for your dome lights or the lights themselves. if they are the rocker type.

My car doesn't even have " seat belt lights " unless you are talking about the anoyance light on the dash ..

Grab a Bentley and go from there. These sound like relatively minor issues. When i first got my car it would never remind me the key was left in until i replaced the removed realy behind the dash . i dont think it ever told me i left the lights on ..
Old 12-20-2015, 11:39 AM
Josep911h
2nd Gear

Unhappy 3.2 1988 targa interruptions

Who can help me?

After 17 years of driving without problems, I suddenly had problems on the motorway, the car was shaking and after 2 days it stopped. After ultrasone cleaning of the injectors, the problem was not completely over. We checked:
ground cable, fuses, sensors, replaced temporarily battery, dme, dme relais, airweigher and fuelpump. Replaced dynamo, fuelpressureregulator.

What we didn't do yet is replacement of ignitionswitch and 18 years old afteralarm.

Any idea's what the problem could be?
Old 12-20-2015, 05:46 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

EDIT: Oh dear, this is what happens when you reply after reading only the first page when peeps were arguing about colors 2 years ago...

SOWWY

*cough* SILVER!!!!

Hehe, congrats! You will enjoy the pants off that '88!

Jase.

Old 12-21-2015, 08:28 AM
Michael T
Pro

Received 74 Likes on 43 Posts

The interior light and glove box light assembies often fail. They simply pressfit in. Need to disconect the battery and be careful with the hot wire grounding when refitting i would recommend relacing the door switches and rubber cover also. I show how this is done halfway down the link below. They are relatively inexpensive. i also upgraded to LED lights.

https://rennlist.com/forums/911-foru...9-targa-8.html

Quick Reply: Just bought a 88 3.2!