Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

78 CIS baseline

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2013, 11:23 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 812 Posts
Default 78 CIS baseline

I just posted a similar article on Pelican as they seem to do a lot of work on CIS but thought i would post this here too.

I am just baselining my car in case i have future issues, and figured someone else could use this should they be checking their car.

Background :

Car is a 1978 911SC fully stock with original engine and components, with one exception. While doing a valve adjustment about 6 years ago I put all the wires on the wrong way ( firing order with dist direction ) as i was using the Bentely and the misprint about the dist direction caused me to blow my airbox in two. This was a massive catastrophic failure that a pop off valve would not have helped , with my neighbours bringing back pieces of my airbox this was not a minor backfire but more like a grenade. I took the opportunity to put the new air box in with the plenum ( did not add pop off valve ) . Absolutely no issue before or after once i repaired it. The car is driven in temps of about -10C to about +34C and never has a hicup and always starts and runs flawlessly.

I decided to get a set of fuel guages and document my readings below as a baseline for future reference, and generally because i like to tinker .

Results:

Ambient Temp at test time 15.5C
WUR ( Bosch 045 ) resistance 25.1 ohms
System Pressure 70 psi (2.62 Bar )
Control Pressure 24psi ( 1.65 Bar ) engine not started
Control Pressure Cold Start 36 psi ( 2.62 Bar ) 1200 Rpm
Control pressure after 1 min 48psi (3.3 Bar ) 1000 Rpm
Control Pressure after 2 min 48psi ( 3.3 Bar ) 1000 Rpm

VAC removed from WUR 39 psi ( 2.69 Bar )
Vac put back on WUR 48psi ( 3.3 Bar )

Residual Pressure

T0 34psi
after 10 min 24psi
After 20 min 22 psi
after 30 min 21 psi

This was repeated over 2 days with very reproducable results.

On the third day i did not start the engine as i just wanted to see the results of the WUR without the engine running.

Ambient Temp at test time 17.2C
WUR ( Bosch 045 ) resistance 26.4 ohms
System Pressure 70 psi (4.82 Bar )
Control Pressure 22psi ( 1.51 Bar ) engine not started
Control pressure after 1 min 31psi (2.14 Bar )
Control Pressure after 2 min 38psi ( 2.62 Bar )

I am not sure there are specs for the above but thought i would document them anyway .

Here is a youtube vid of my car starting , this was taken a couple of months ago, not at test time but gives you an isea of how my car behaves on starting .

Also I dont have a recent one but i have atached the profile of my AFR after i replace the AIR box fro a complete history record.

I am fully confident now i have a good target of where may car needs to run should i have issues down the road,

If you would like feel, free to post your own numbers of good running cars to help build a database , or not .. either way im good

Last edited by theiceman; 02-05-2014 at 12:10 PM.

Quick Reply: 78 CIS baseline