1981 911 SC as a Daily Driver?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2013, 11:13 PM
Donaldx3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by t3HW41ru5
Hey Everyone,

Wow, this has been some really great advice. I do sincerely appreciate it all .

@Porsche930dude - Insurance is cheaper on the second car? You mean maybe classifying it as a classic or collectors car and getting insurance like that? Any more information on that? If that were the case, I may be able to actually own two cars.

Thanks!
I live in new York have a 83 use the car any other season other then winter get a primary car keep this one as a secondary get classic insurance on it and you'll have more money in your pocket then puttin normal insurance which is going to be a lot buy a cheap car use for winters
Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Tacet-Conundrum
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PushingMyLuck
Financially, I'm in a place where I can't really afford two cars,

Then are you sure you can afford a 25 year old Porsche?
I was thinking the same thing. If something does go wrong, real wrong, it sure can take a bite out of your wallet. Damn Porsche Taxes. Over-priced parts and bits. Lets face it there is no need for it, the over-priced nature for Porsche parts.

They could easily reduce the price of parts, even 10% for the most profitable car company in the world. And just over 15 years ago if it weren't for the introduction of the Cayenne and all the Americans buying them there is a darn good chance that Porsche may not exist in the capacity that it does today.
Old 10-11-2013, 08:30 PM
yumyum1667
Racer

The older 3.2's are a second car. Not a daily driver. You can work on them yourself but require thought and a lot of forum questions.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:32 PM
kjchristopher
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by yumyum1667
The older 3.2's are a second car. Not a daily driver. You can work on them yourself but require thought and a lot of forum questions.
Holy crap. I guess I better stop driving my even older SC 50 miles a day. Thanks for the advice and saving me from certain peril!
Old 10-12-2013, 02:41 AM
Kadhren
AutoX

more reliable then than they would be now.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:57 AM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

I think they're referencing the mileage the car is expected to travel in a given year. Insurance companies won't care if you have a second car or not. As of now, I pay less than $500/6 months with my 911 and Lexus combined, because I only have the Porsche set at something like 3,000 miles/year. If you do opt for classic car insurance, it's pennies compared to standard insurance. There are also limitation on where it can be stored, where it can be driven, etc... IIRC, Hemmings required I keep the car garaged at all times. Since I live in an apartment, this wasn't realistic. I went with standard insurance through USAA.

I bought mine last summer for what some would call a steal. Since then, I've driven it a total of MAYBE 500 miles. Mostly due in part to it being parked in my parents' garage 20 minutes away from my home. Also due to the fact that it's been inop for months for repairs. I've only spent about $1,000 on repairs since I bought car (new ignition, machined wheel barrels, alternator rebuild, basic oil/plugs/wires/valve cover gaskets, filters, etc...) and she's now running beautifully, but I'd definitely recommend a beater.

I'm in a similar financial position. I'm 23 and completely financially independent from my folks. (Read: I'm always finding myself broke until next week ) I bought the car because I'd have a good chunk of equity in it, just in case times got tough. However, I also wanted something I'd be able to tinker on. It was the Porsche or a cafe racer bike project. I went into ownership fully expecting and anticipating time-consuming projects.

If you can source a beater, and can gain access to a stocked tool supply and work station like I have with my dad's garage, I say go for it.

Quick Reply: 1981 911 SC as a Daily Driver?