Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Shift Lever Bearing

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 PM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shift Lever Bearing

I'm in the process of installing a Seine shifter kit on my SC; 1982. When I disassembled the shift tower it seemed to me the lever was a REALLY tight fit in the lower carrier, called the "Shift Lever Bearing," Item #3 on the parts diagram. Examination of the "bearing" (sorry 'bout the quotes, just seems a strange terminology to me) showed that the long sides were squeezed in; curved towards the center to apply pressure on the sides of the lever where it goes through. Squeezed in enough to where there's obvious friction there that seems to me shouldn't be present.

Is this normal? It seems to me this thing should be essentially rectangular with straight sides. I've priced a new part (Pelican carries them as NLA) but I found a place, and they're $188 (I suspect one could readily have one made locally for a lot less) so buying one on supposition is a little pricey.

I'm thinking the best way to handle this would be to just spread the sides of the bearing "box" back to normal, or if the pinch is normal at least to relieve the pressure a little.

Experience? Opinions?

Quick Reply: Shift Lever Bearing