Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

82 SC Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:48 PM
darwinottolini
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 82 SC Starting problem

2 years ago, my 82 SC quit starting when cold. Actually, it would start normally sometimes but more often it would spin, occasionally try to catch. Eventually it would start, racing and stumbling, unwilling to take fuel from the throttle. Once the engine warmed a bit, the engine would level out and would behave normally, albeit with a higher than normal idle.

SInce then, I have replaced the cold start valve and the warm up regulator. Sometimes it starts fine, I went through a week where it behaved perfectly and then refused to start for another two weeks. I am suspecting the ECU, when the car is unwilling to run after a very hard start, disconnecting the ECU makes no difference in throttle response or rpm. I'm thinking the hardware on the engine is good but not getting the right signals from the ECU. This is extremely frustrating, I turned it over to a mechanic who drives Porsches himself and he gave up after a month. ANy help out there?

Thanks to anyone who can, Darwin
Old 09-26-2013, 11:42 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

it doesnt have an ecu, unless you are talking about the frequency valve control.
there is a thread going right now on pelican on an sc cold start issue, check that out.

the fact you are even touching the gas to get it to start is troublesome. it sounds like an afr issue, could be anything from cracked airbox to bad old control pressure. you really need a set of cis fuel guages

Last edited by theiceman; 09-27-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:06 AM
darwinottolini
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WHat is the Jetronic box under the passenger seat if not an ECU? I will check out the thread on PP.

Thanks, Darwin
Old 09-27-2013, 12:46 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Originally Posted by darwinottolini
WHat is the Jetronic box under the passenger seat if not an ECU? I will check out the thread on PP.

Thanks, Darwin
Sounds like the frequency valve control box, that can be elimintae in troubleshooting , biut i dont have that so cant really help.

Quick Reply: 82 SC Starting problem