Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New member, no 911 yet but that will change

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 07:26 AM
eiriksmil
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New member, no 911 yet but that will change

Hi all. New member checking in, I'm gonna be a lurker for a while for sure but hopefully not for too long. Currently I have a string of cars in my lock-up, a couple of Volkswagens, some Daihatsus (these turbo cars are fun..!) and a Toyota daily. My goal is replacing a few of these cars with one, instead of sinking money I'll never see again into econoboxes. With my price range and regarding where I come from automotive wise a 911 seem to be a logical 'step up' and I've had a pretty big crush on 964s for a while. The problem is that they are out of my price range when Norwegian taxes come into play (being a 23 year old student doesn't help haha). The deal is that there is a tax incentive on cars 30 years old or more, meaning they are very cheap to register. Combined with a climate and salt belts death sentencing cars every year around here (think north/north eastern US and eastern Canada), I'm looking towards south-western US.

My blue Golf below was sourced from California, I have a guy that does the shipping part and a guy in NV who can help me with logistics. So, 1984 and older within my budget range, that's what I'm looking at. Price range ~$15.000-$18.000, but I'm willing to go a little further for a clean car. I'm not looking for a mint trailer-queen, but a straight, rust-free car with a sound engine and a clean interior (although that can easily be altered if needed). The car will in my ownership never see a winter or be beaten on, it will be garaged but it will be driven.. I'm looking at Carreras (I've even taken a look at Targas, but I'm leaning towards a hardtop), is the budget sufficient to find something worthwhile? I'll rather take my time sourcing a car and spend a little more on a well-maintained one than sinking a wad of cash into a sh*tbox. I'm already too old for that..

If anyone have something to add regarding the search, any insight on what model years to go for/avoid (you are the experts here, I'm pretty new to this), what will be most desirable for years to come and retain value I'm thankful. If you spot something for sale that's applicable to my search either put it up here, IM me or email me at eiriksmil@gmail.com. Like I said, I'm taking my time here, research is everything.

Below are pictures of two of my favorite cars in the stable that will stay no matter what, my 1959 40k mile Type 1 and my 1986 70k mile Mk2, both rust free and clean inside out. Do notify me if I should remove them

Color wise I'm open for everything, no all blue interiors though Preferably white, red or yellow with black interiors or dark colors with light colored interiors (if this was offered at all these years, again please remember I'm sailing where I haven't sailed before). Thanks in advance

Best regards Eirik
Old 09-24-2013, 10:09 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,116 Likes on 798 Posts

Well i think you are fairly realistic in most points and you should be able to find somthing. Your budget might get stretched to find a nice Carrera for that money , but it does happen. A nice SC should squeeze into the top end of that budget but not a trailer queen as you point out.
Welcome to the club, and read and learn, this forum is a little more layed back then Pelican but a lot can be learned on the Pelican forum and it moves fast ..

My car is a 78 SC i bought within your budget a ffew years ago and it has been a dream to drive, did a lot of projects on it but stuff by choice not necesity.

Quick Reply: New member, no 911 yet but that will change