Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Interested in joining the air/oil cooled club

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:56 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Interested in joining the air/oil cooled club

I purchased my first Porsche a little over a year ago and I have been infected by the P-car bug. I love participating in DE events. At the DE events there are always some well turned out pre-water cooled cars that I find myself attracted to. I also have seen a few at coffee and cars that I would love to put in my garage. The one I saw recently was a 1971 911 in the Gulf Racing livery.

I would like a light weight performance oriented car that is well turned out, do you guys have suggestions on where to start in finding a good quality car, that won't break the bank. I would love a 993 RS club sport, but the ones i have seen are over $100k.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 AM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Pretty much any air-cooled 911 can be a candidate for a great lightweight sports car. To help answer your questions, you may want to share the following:

1) What is your current P-car?
2) What is the cost range you are aiming to be in?
3) What is your anticipated usage (e.g. track days, backroads driver, fun car that you also might want to show)?
4) Are you more interested in finding a stock/original car or are you interested in considering modifications etc. that will take the car away from its originial spec significantly?
5) How do you use your current P-car? What do you like/not like about it?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:05 AM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Current P-car - '11 GT3 RS
Price range < $50k
Track days and C&C
Would like tasteful modifications - Love the clean lines of a Singer and the ducktail
Current P-car - track days 85% of the time, I love the car and plan to keep it
I believe the air cooled car would be a better car for my son to do track days in with me
Old 09-20-2013, 05:48 PM
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 155 Likes on 98 Posts

Nice! You have one of the ultimate Porsches, bar none.

With 50K, you gan buy a lot of nice air cooled 911, including a good 993.

There may be all sorts of interesting cars out there that have been track prepped or back dated etc.

However, having given it some thought, I would try and identify which era of car you are after and then get a very good condition, stock specimen and then see where it goes.

You should try and get rides (possibly drives) in different 911s to see what you like most. Basically, the main buckets will be:

1) Early cars (pre-73): The lightest and most simple. However, good early cars are expensive and so-so ones can bring rust troubles and other fun. Amongst early cars there is a lot of variety. The pre-69 short wheelbase cars are the most

2) Mid-year cars (74 to 77): Much maligned mainly because the magnesium crankcases had a hard time dealing with thermal reactors leading to pulled head studs and other issues. However, there are great mid-year cars out there, but careful evaluation by a pro is warranted. Post 76 cars will have fully galvanized bodywork - a real plus (although no guarantee against corrosion issues)

3) SCs (78 to 83) - great all round cars. Very reliable and still fundamentally the same as the early cars.

4) Carrera 3.2 (84 to 89) - Also great cars, very similar to the SCs. 87 through 89 have the G50 transmission, which was a real update, although there is nothing wrong with the previous gearbox (915) as long as it is in good shape.

5) 964 series (late 89 to 94) - The first really big change for the 911. The suspension was entirely new and no longer based on torsion bars. Power is up, AC is much better etc. These are great cars but feel a lot different than the torsion bar cars. That is why you will want to try them out.

6) 993 (95 to 98) - last of the air cooled cars and the most refined and modern. Another signficant suspension re-design. The marketplace definitely holds these cars in higher esteem than the 964s, but I think the 964 is generally under-rated.

All are great, and all have unique issues that may develop and you will need to research those.

The first step is to find out which of the main types most interests you.

Again, I would go for a well-cared for stock spec car to start.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the insight. I have a friend who has a nice 964 with updated suspension and brakes. He has offered to let me drive it and I plan to take him up on the offer.

I will start looking for cars in the Houston area that I can compare. I do like the idea of a light weight car for the agility and I have seen some very well prepared cars at the track that look fun to drive.
Old 09-21-2013, 09:45 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

If I had that budget I'd go for a first generation 911 for the purity...light weight, clean and purposeful...anything past '89 has too many widgets.
Drive a torsion bar car.
Old 09-22-2013, 01:19 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^ +++ Like an '88 with a G50 gear box!!
Old 09-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Texas RS
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the input, now I have to get out and drive a few of them to learn the characteristics.

Quick Reply: Interested in joining the air/oil cooled club