Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Solar Battery Maintainer

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Pavegeno928
Rennlist Member

Received 448 Likes on 235 Posts
Default Solar Battery Maintainer

Saw this today at my local auto store. Amazon.com: Schumacher SP-200 2.4W Solar Battery Maintainer: Automotive

Anyone have any experience with this? Was going to plug this into my wife's Cayman as she doesn't have a power outlet to plug in her trickle charger. Doesn't appear that it can overcharge the battery.

Thanks,

Gene
Attached Images  
Old 09-17-2013, 02:42 AM
HorstP
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

I would buy a military spec Solargizer instead. Cheap on eBay. Had them on my trucks, like the Army, as most of the time they are sitting, with good results. But they will really only maintain, not charge at all.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A friend of mine that races vintage motorcycles has used one of those at the track for years to maintain his total loss electrical system; works great for that. But keep in mind that's a pretty small battery.
Old 09-17-2013, 08:45 AM
aj986s
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ditto that they're only effective to maintain an already charged battery. Will do zippo to re-charge a dead battery. The better ones will have an onboard regulator to A) prevent overcharging, and B) prevent battery battery discharge back through the panel if no sun is present. I've used a similar Schumacher charger with good results. Picked up a much cheaper one on eBay that ended up being worthless. As mentioned, a proper mil-spec version should also be worthwhile.

I installed a 15W solar panel earlier this year on my enclosed trailer to maintain the charge on the full-size 12V battery, which runs the 12V lights, tongue jack and winch. Prior to that, after sitting for long periods, the battery would drain enough that it couldn't operate the tongue jack. PIA to have to hook up a proper battery charger, and wait. No problems since the solar panel install.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:12 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 132 Likes on 108 Posts

I had one similar to this (probably ~same specs, but different brand) in an '81 VW Vanagon camper that was often parked for weeks at a time. It worked perfectly in keeping the battery charged between infrequent uses.

The solar cell was suction-cupped to the lower right corner of the windshield. So of course, I told my friends that I had a solar powered car, which was really something back then.
Old 09-17-2013, 10:36 PM
VintageRacer477
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I tested a solar Battery Tender last year. Liked it a lot. But, it was too small for my Maserati's monster battery. Pre-Christmas I was in the local Ace Hardware to buy lights & they had a sale on the Battery Tender units. They only had one & it was the 2-panel, 10 watt version I wanted. Bought it and have used it since mounted in the south window of my garage. It doesn't work in the Summer as the sun is hidden by the architectural feature around the window. But, it is now just a few weeks from being used again.

For more info see: http://batterytender.com/products/solar.html

I also bought a longer lead & in-line plug for easy hook up without removing battery cover.
Attached Images  
Old 09-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

oldskewel's comment about the solar panel being suction-cupped to the W/S jogged my memory. The VW plant here in Chattanooga puts a solar maintainer on about every new Passat in their storage lot to keep the battery up while they're awaiting shipment.

Quick Reply: Solar Battery Maintainer