Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

High mileage vs asking price...

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2013 | 10:48 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Default High mileage vs asking price...

A friend of mine has a very clean '88 Carrera that he's going to sell soon. He's the third owner, 2nd owner had it for over 20 years.

Car cosmetically is lovely, great paint/body, factory Fuchs and front/rear spoilers/whale tail.

Recent clutch, Kennedy PP. Previous owner rebuilt the motor and G50 tranny and added an A/C upgrade since he lived in Texas. No rust. It needs a valve adjustment/check shortly.

However the chassis on this car has over 200k miles. You'd never guess from looking at it though.

I'm not looking for a musuem piece, I plan on driving whatever I get.

I'm confident this is a good car, but I'm unsure of what it's worth due to the large amount of miles on the chassis.
Old 09-12-2013 | 11:44 PM
Reiver
Drifting

If it has a documented rebuild, drives well and passes a solid PPI I don't think that mileage would affect the price that much. Certainly some as you have a driver not a garage queen.
The other item of reliability ..... don't worry about that. The chassis, unibody and sundry parts are very robust if maintained (bushings etc, wear out parts)
I have a daily driver with 235k miles that is tight as a drum...also with a rebuilt motor. There are guys driving dailies with a 100k more with no problem.
Old 09-13-2013 | 01:12 AM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Chassis mileage shouldn't matter one bit. The only thing to be concerned about are the things that normally wear out over time - shocks, brakes, rubber bits, etc. At 200k miles, all of them have been replaced at least a couple of times (or should have), so as long as they're in good shape (PPI should reveal this), the number of miles ought to be irrelevant. Mileage on the engine and transmission is important, but they've already been rebuilt on this car so it isn't cause for concern.
Old 09-13-2013 | 09:10 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Mileage doesn't really affect value very much, car's overall condition is much more important. I just sold a 77 coupe with 230 k miles, drove like a new car.
Phil
Old 09-14-2013 | 09:47 PM
The Fixer
Drifting

I agree if well kept miles w/ these extremely well built cars is not as important as with other makes.

But price should be good because high mileage 911s sell much lower than one with 75k miles or less. Don't overpay.

My '86 had a very optimistic speedo and racked miles quicker than it should. I calculated that it had 15% less miles in reality using a GPS.

Quick Reply: High mileage vs asking price...