Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

help! what did i do wrong (gear oil leak)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 06:26 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! what did i do wrong (gear oil leak)

So my project car has a G50-01. never been driven until a few days ago. drove around a few small spurts in the neighborhood and no leaks. drive it some more, a little harder and i see gear oil on left axle. change the seal and it seems like it didnt help at all. i followed the advice on changing the seal so not sure if i did something wrong or not. any advice? Thanks
Old 08-31-2013, 08:38 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Hi,

OK,... Did you clean off everything around the seal VERY thoroughly to see precisely where the leak is coming from??

Is the oil closer to the inner or outer CV?

Is is coming from the CV?

Is the boot wet?

Is the transmission case wet under and around the seal?

Oftentimes, when the seal isn't installed correctly, the back of the drive flange drags on it and ruins it in short time. It must be recessed a few mm for clearance.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:18 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi,

OK,... Did you clean off everything around the seal VERY thoroughly to see precisely where the leak is coming from?? yes

Is the oil closer to the inner or outer CV? inner

Is is coming from the CV? no, its gear oil

Is the boot wet? some oil around the area but nothing major

Is the transmission case wet under and around the seal? yes

Oftentimes, when the seal isn't installed correctly, the back of the drive flange drags on it and ruins it in short time. It must be recessed a few mm for clearance.
I think that's exactly what happened Steve. It wasn't leaking at the shop but about 4 or 5 miles on my way home i stopped to look and it was leaking. I have an extra seal, i'll give it another try focusing on recessing the seal. Thank you
Old 09-01-2013, 12:00 AM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by AdaptecSpeedware
I think that's exactly what happened Steve. It wasn't leaking at the shop but about 4 or 5 miles on my way home i stopped to look and it was leaking. I have an extra seal, i'll give it another try focusing on recessing the seal. Thank you
If you installed the seal flush to the edge of the machined opening, thats the source of the problem. You can confirm this by observing scrape marks on the outer side of the current one where the drive flange ripped it.
Old 09-02-2013, 02:08 PM
AdaptecSpeedware
Former Vendor

Ok so here's what i did. I put white lithium grease lightly on the back of the output shaft and made sure the seal was back far enough that it didn't make contact with the shaft leaving any white grease on the seal. Previously i just flushed up the seal to the edge. Not a bad job on the garage floor but lets hope it works this time
Old 09-02-2013, 04:50 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by AdaptecSpeedware
Ok so here's what i did. I put white lithium grease lightly on the back of the output shaft and made sure the seal was back far enough that it didn't make contact with the shaft leaving any white grease on the seal. Previously i just flushed up the seal to the edge. Not a bad job on the garage floor but lets hope it works this time
I think you'll be just fine,...

Quick Reply: help! what did i do wrong (gear oil leak)