Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Wide body values...did I miss something?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Wide body values...did I miss something?

1988 turbo look targa for $149,000 firm

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/4011696843.html

Damn...I must have been asleep for 50 years
Old 08-23-2013, 07:38 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

funny
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM
abarthguy
Three Wheelin'

Received 283 Likes on 173 Posts

Just imagine the price if it had less than its 207,000 miles !
Old 08-23-2013, 01:24 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

See my post earlier this week with "crack smoker" in the title.......

This guy occasionally runs the ad, seems the price goes up each time.

Would love to see him negotiate with an insurance company on a loss.
Old 08-23-2013, 04:38 PM
Chris V
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
See my post earlier this week with "crack smoker" in the title.......
Just saw it...sorry for the repeat post.

Great replies...I'll remember this trick when the wife says I have too many cars. "Honestly dear, I don't understand why it's not selling"
Old 08-23-2013, 06:58 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe this car belongs to a member of the turbo look group on Yahoo:

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...urbo-LookCars/

The owner is actually a female, I remember when she first listed the car it was around $60k, once she started getting offers she kept raising the price.

She is actually quite nutty, it is almost worthwile joining the group to read some of her rants.

Quite a delusional human being.
Old 08-23-2013, 07:36 PM
samsnead
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is a typical post from the individual who listed the M491:

Yes Norbert, I have it listed for sale in one place on Craigslist.
I am in no hurry to sell it, I know it will easily sell when ready and in the mean time I still get to enjoy it everyday, it costs very little compared to any other auto to own and maintain. I placed it on Craigslist for $47,500 and received two inquiries right away, one from a gentleman in France and one from a gentleman in northern CA. last week while I was on vacation in Tahoe. it is now listed for $54,500 and I plan on raising the price even more, I know what I have and I have had enough experience with Porsche since selling my first one, (I purchased brand new in 1973, a 911T Targa almost just like my Turbo Look I have now, I Love a Targa for what it offers me like extra head room, a real roll bar, a top with metal plates in it so no one can break-in via the top, the awesome and unequalled visibility all around etc.. I had my first one for 30.5 years, it is now in Colon Germany in auto shows as I heard, I sold it with over 200k miles on it.)
As you know, I have shared a lot of my beloved auto. I have had many other autos over the years including a Lotus, a Maserati, a Ferrari, etc. etc. but I got rid of all of the other autos more than five years ago and only drive my Porsche Turbo Look. none of the other autos even came close in performance, handling, crash avoidance, visibility, economy etc. and most of all - Fun To Drive. As you know, every time I drive my Turbo Look it is almost like driving a new auto, perhaps in part because of all the looks and questions I get from others literally everyday. as many know, people come up to you and say, of course, I like your car, but they also add it is the most beautiful auto they have ever seen and others might add it has always been their favorite Porsche, some say, wow, what kind of auto is that, on and on. Even the police do not give me tickets although I have been stopped a few times, even by a helicopter for only doing 125 mph down highway five, lol. the helicopter told be it had to wait for the road to curve so it could catch me, smile. usually the police want to talk about the auto and see the motor, I LOVE sharing of it. add to all of this and more the fact that these autos challenge us to become better drivers and I truly feel I will never master mine but love the fact it challenges me to do better, perhaps in part this also adds a lot to the Fun Factor.
My Turbo Look has 206k miles on it now, mind you it has never been rebuilt like most of the others here with far fewer miles on them and I dare suggest my Turbo Look runs better than most others, especially the garage queens. I strongly feel I offer something most others do not, I offer a Turbo Look which has been proven on the road over the last 25 years. yes, I have some nicks in it unlike some garage queens but they are easily fixed, most garage queens will require a full rebuild of motor and suspension due to being dried out from not operating so it is beautiful and almost perfect to look at like a painting, but it would cost perhaps $30k plus just to drive it right all the time, mine needs Nothing! Also, I am told some of the major auto shows are now showing autos which have been proven on the road with lots of miles on them, it is a whole new category, Pebble Beach Concourse in August is one of these.
Also I have a Targa which as everyone knows is the rarest Turbo Look by far, even more rare than specialty autos coming out of Porsche with separate serial numbers (at this stage it is a blessing Porsche did not give our Turbo Looks a separate serial number because it places our Turbo Looks as the most elite and evolved 911 type 901 in Porsche history), especially with all the upgrades with the last upgrade being in 1988 so it is at the peak of evolution of the 911 type 901 which made Porsche famous! it is also the last of the Targas with a real roll bar and the only Porsche I know of to come out of Porsche as standard with a real roll bar. Plus all our Porsches are the last of the hand built Porsches under $150k, etc.
My friend recently purchased the most rusted out frame and body of any 356 I have ever witnessed and sent it to a special place to try and restore it. it has nothing else but it was the last year of the 356, just as mine is the last year of the Porsche Turbo Look Targa. He estimates he will pay over $100k to get it on the road, IF he can find all the right parts... my Turbo Look Targa has far more history than the 356 with Porsche and it is much more of an auto, on and on. those 356's today sell for $150k plus, I know for a fact my Turbo Look Targa will far exceed the value of any 356. and it can happen in as little as five years or less so anyone purchasing a Turbo Look Targa today will make out like a bandit in a few years plus have fun enjoying it until then.
I would keep it if I wanted two autos but my life if totally different now, plus I am older and I want only one auto. What will my new auto be, well I am leaning towards a Accura NSX and have already put in an order for two years from now when they come out, though I might change if I sell my Porsche before then. if I sell it sooner, I am leaning towards a GT3 2011-12.
jessica
Old 08-23-2013, 09:31 PM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts

You missed the bong hit..
Old 08-23-2013, 09:37 PM
bhmkv
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good info in this thread.
Old 08-23-2013, 10:27 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbvd
Sorry, Byron....will get right on that

Old 08-23-2013, 11:29 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by racerbvd
My thread on this referenced crack smokers.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:39 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Can you imagine being in the same room with that? I'd pay her the price to shut her up.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:53 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This individual has the same optimistic attitude as a fellow over on the 930 Forum that has been promoting his '79 Turbo as the best of the last early models, for only $92k (last I read)! Funny thing though, he lives in Tahoe....... maybe they have met!!!!
Old 08-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
This individual has the same optimistic attitude as a fellow over on the 930 Forum that has been promoting his '79 Turbo as the best of the last early models, for only $92k (last I read)! Funny thing though, he lives in Tahoe....... maybe they have met!!!!
Careful there about the '79 Turbo. A buddy of mine from my childhood was compensated $80,000 in 1990 when his was rear-ended. ....and it was 5 shades of green.
Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Sheesh, there was an '88 TURBO Targa for sale on Hemmings recently for mid $60's as I recall. It was pretty nice looking, fairly low miles and allegedly no stories.

Quick Reply: Wide body values...did I miss something?