Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

car pooling a 911 (bay area, ca)

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 05:19 PM
Hugh
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question car pooling a 911 (bay area, ca)

I'm wondering if perchance any of you more experienced bay area 911 owners (my car is new to me) habitually get away with 2 people in the Bay Bridge carpool lanes (require 3 people)? Seems like the car is a two seater with the back seats folded down. Friends of mine with pickup trucks, even with extended cabs, seems to have no problem carrying only 2 people. Would suck if they picked on 911's for having only 2 people. Cuz I'm not sure I could coax a 3rd into that back seat...
Old 07-05-2001, 07:05 PM
Randy Shelton
4th Gear

Talking

I've been commuting over the bridge every Wednesday for the last few months and I've never had a problem. I suppose if the highway patrol wanted to bust me, they could do it. Though it probably depends on the officer and whether or not they know their porsches or have had previous experience pulling one of these cars over, which is likely. Most people I've met who know nothing about 911s assume the car is a two seater, but as we know, it really is a 2+"2" (more like 2+mini 2). I've actually had CHP on motorcycles look right into the car and not pull me over. That was pretty scary though and I'm not sure many people would want to endure the stress of wondering if they will be pulled over or not. I personally don't mind. I feel like my car, a '69 911T, is small enough to curb any doubts that it might be a four seater. If I had one of the newer Porsches, say a 993, or a 996, I might be a little more concerned as those are bigger cars, and look like they could fit passengers.

rcs
Old 07-06-2001, 02:20 AM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Hugh,

Get a rollbar installed and then there would be NO argument that a person could fit back there!

I've never had a problem doing this for years.

Dean
Old 07-06-2001, 01:14 PM
steve911
Addict
Rennlist Member

Talking

I'm glad to hear that we can do this, sort of. I have an '85 Targa and was wondering the same thing. Mentioned it to Spencer at EASY in Emeryville, who told me DON'T - CHP was wise to. Just hope the CHP isn't monitoring this board!
Old 07-06-2001, 10:47 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Question

I've posted this question a couple of times and did a little bit of research, and unfortunately there is no clear answer. I live in Lafayette and work in San Francisco so I have a vested interest in this to put it mildly (whenever I drive my sedan I always pick up 2 passengers at the casual carpool pickup...saves at least 20 minutes). Here is what I've found.

Technically, 911s are 4 seaters. They count the number of seat belts, and the law doesn't care that only toddlers can fit in the jump seats.

Removing the rear seats doesn't help...they go by the factory-issued number of seat belts. So unless it's a special edition 911 without rear seats it is "once a 4 seater, always a 4 seater."

It appears that a lot of CHP officers look the other way when 911s use the carpool lane, but there have been posts in the past from guys who have been nailed with the $270 fine. So you are taking a calculated risk, no doubt about it.

I've always wished that some group like the Diablo PCA would work to get 911s officially approved for the Bay Bridge carpool lanes. I once suggested that to the president of the Diablo PCA but he didn't reply to my email...probably because I wasn't a member. This is definitely something that would benefit a lot of 911 owners in Alameda and Contra Costa counties. Maybe someone can think of a way to make something happen.
Old 07-09-2001, 02:36 AM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Just a note to say that I lobbed in a question about the 911 on the Bay Bridge to http://www.rides.org - they are the group that puts out info about carpooling in the Bay Area. I'll post their response when I get it. Keep your fingers crossed.
Old 07-09-2001, 06:59 PM
Kevin Reilly
Pro

Unhappy

Bad news. I just spoke to the Oakland CHP office. The officer asked me if there were ever seats with seat belts in the back of the 911. When I said there were, he said it is not a 2-seater. He understood that the seats wouldn't accomodate an adult, but it didn't matter.

Here is also the response I received from Rides.org:

Kevin Reilly,

Typically the jump seats are the factor in whether or not a vehicle can be used in the HOV lanes with one passenger. Usually, jump seats are considered to be space for a second passenger. To get specific information from an CHP officer who can assist you with specific details on your vehicle, please call their direct line at 510-450-3821.

We hope you find this information useful.

Rides for Bay Area Commuters
1-800-755-7665

Quick Reply: car pooling a 911 (bay area, ca)