Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

CA Vehicle Registeration

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CA Vehicle Registeration

For all my friends in California, I am proud to announce, if you didn't know already, our annual vehicle registration now has a new procedure. Testing for my '88 Carrera must be done at a "Star" certified station. Reasons below:

The State of California uses the following three strategies to determine whether a vehicle is STAR station designated or not:

Gross polluters (vehicles which have failed a previous smog inspection with very high emission readings)

High Emitter Profile vehicles. These are vehicle types designated by the Bureau of Automotive Repair as having high chances of failing the smog inspection.

A random sample of all vehicles registered in California and being driven on public roadways.

Choose one of the above that might apply to your vehicle!

Funny thing..... never had a problem in the last seven years. Aren't you glad the rest of you don't live here???
Old 06-04-2013, 01:37 AM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Please clarify, did you fail a recent or past test....

And then had to go to a Star facility? Or just because you have a potential high emitter, you now must go to a Star shop? I also have an '88 and last time I had problems getting it to pass (but the bad results were not transmitted to the database). This is again my year for the smog test.

Tony
Old 06-04-2013, 01:55 AM
FlatSix911
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I had the same experience in March with a Star Certified station since the 993 is now labeled as a HEP, High Emitter Profile car in CA.
See this thread for tips on passing the test ...
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ecently-2.html
Old 06-04-2013, 12:03 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

And this is a problem how? You go to a Star (formerly Gold Shield) station instead of a Test Only place. Anyone who has a clue about 911s will likely be operating a Star station anyway.
Old 06-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
And this is a problem how? You go to a Star (formerly Gold Shield) station instead of a Test Only place. Anyone who has a clue about 911s will likely be operating a Star station anyway.
I think it's OK as well. The tech that's done my '82 SC for the last 10 years has a test only station (Best Smog), and I'm sure it will become a Star station. The first time that I took my car to him I had to use the under hood sticker to explain the ignition timing procedure. He obviously remembered because there has been no problem since.

Regarding high emitters, that is probably legit data collected from all of the cars out there that are fitted/modified with SSIs, are missing their cat, Lambda or smog pump system not working, etc. The front office guy at Best Smog told me that many of the older 911s they test don't pass, they send the owner off to a mechanic, the car comes back and usually fails again. A vicious circle.

Plenty of people know how to squeeze out a few extra hp, but the number of technicians who know how to make an older car (1976>) comply are starting to disappear.

Last edited by Peter Zimmermann; 06-04-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:27 PM
tone40
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FlatSix911- I see that your HC dropped after the mix.....

My situation in September of 2011, was too high on NO (ppm): 15 mph Max 565, mine 634 FAIL. 25 mph 522, mine 441 PASS. A local indy got it to pass (What they did?).

I think my cat is either not the right part (So I have been told) or failing.

From the test after the indy visit: 15 mph- 316 PASS, 25 mph- 234 PASS.
Old 06-04-2013, 10:28 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default CA Vehicle Registration

This date I received by certificate, good for two more years.

Two years ago, the smog check "reason for inspection" column on my certificate stated "biennial". The certification I got today said "High Emitter Profile"
This year, the emissions recorded were near the limit, or more than last year. I have 92k on my '88 Carrera.

Based on what I have read, the BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) has been collecting data from all over the state, and each testing station, on similar/same vehicle results. This would expose testing stations that are not doing a "thorough" inspection, as compared to other stations. Thus, certain "given" Porsches at certain mileages should all show similar results. Therefore, they are clamping down on test stations that are NOT doing their required job! During my test, the tech was under the back of the car with a flashlight as well as snooping in the engine bay!

As such, I would suggest that anyone coming due for a check, may want to visit your favorite tech to see if your Porsche is "dialed in" to pass the test. The more that fail the check on the "first try" will only confirm, to the state, that our Porsches
are a red flag for "high emitter profile".

Quick Reply: CA Vehicle Registeration