911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

issue when cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013 | 03:54 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

One other thought which is easy enough to test.

I can stall my '87 3.2l or find it running a little lumpy:

1. usually first thing in the morning;
2. when the engine is cold (i.e., ambient); and
3. I have fueled with 10% ethanol/gas.

Once the car warms up for a few minutes, no problem. When I fuel with pure gasoline, never a problem.
Old 06-07-2013 | 02:44 PM
HorstP
Instructor

Quick update after I returned today. I could not diagnose the problem any further. We have now around 70 degrees and it simply would not show the problem.
I just started looking into the vacuum hoses and found that the big hose connecting the oil tank/throttle valve housing elbow and a small one holding the vacuum limiter warrant replacement. Don't think they explain the problem but they look like they will go sometime soon. I will carefully check the other hoses too with some more time at hand.
Concerning the idea with gas. Having the DME chip, I need to fill up with 98ROZ gas (don't now the equivalent in the States, at least Premium gas) and that has lower ethanol content. And I always fill up at the same gas station. Amazing what good mileage that thing has. My GTO plays in a different league
I will report back when the problem returns and I don't find the issue.
Old 06-11-2013 | 04:43 AM
HorstP
Instructor

Took the 911 today to commute. 50 degrees and higher humidity. Ran fine for the first 5 minutes without any stumbling or issues. Then stumbling would appear, most pronounced at 1800 rpms. Pretty annoying, even if I can avoid that small rpm range most of the time. Stayed there for 5 - 10 minutes and then disappeared. Guess this will be hard to find. As said, I will start with replacing those two hoses. Nearby shop (see other post) said they would look into ignition wiring.
Old 06-11-2013 | 08:59 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Might help while you have the car in the shop if they can measure the CO or A/F ratio from the exhaust to determine if you really are running too lean/rich.

Quick Reply: issue when cold