ECS Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

^ That's what I would have thought also. The car looks great Michael
Old 11-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

The Vaseline trick on Fuchs has been used for years by many to keep the black looking good. Not an issue.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:06 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Received 135 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael T
After a lot of research, I replaced the radio in my car. While I have the original Reno and amp under the passenger seat, I figured I would keep these for collector value and go with something in the 21st century for sound quality, card reader and telephone. I went to look at Kenwood, Sony, Alpine and Pioneer at a big box retailer, but either the faces looked too plastic or the quality of the buttons was lacking. Many had a series of advertising for XM or Pandora on the front. I finally settled on a Blaupunkt Toronto 440 BT. It has a card reader behind the face, a USB out the back (and front), and Bluetooth. It also has preamps out for another day. I ordered the remote microphone which I placed on the steering column. I ordered from Crutchfield and it was $160 delivered. I am very pleased with the sound quality and the audio on the phone.
Great thread! Just ordered the Toronto today for my '86. Thanks for the terrific suggestions and details.
Jeff
Old 12-09-2014, 05:36 PM
Michael T
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

I have had a very small tear in one of the seams of my driver's side seat cushion. In looking at the covers, they had been dyed at some point and this left the surface, while looking OK from a few feet, very dried and less than original.

I did a lot of research over on Pelican and could buy two pre-made leather seat covers for a little more than $700 delivered from Autoberry.

I got a good recommendation for an upholstery shop Michael Angelos here in Houston. They wanted about $500 to install them. They had some samples of GAHH leather and it was impressive, vat dyed aniline leather and thick. For about $300 more, I am going to have the seat covers made.

Apparently the Targas had vinyl backs and piping, with a leather surface. I am also going to have some batting put in the back of the drivers cushion for more lumbar support. So ordered the leather, should be here in about four days, couple days to do the install. The salesperson Richard was very knowledgeable.
Old 12-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful targa!
Old 12-17-2014, 05:35 PM
Michael T
Racer

Dropped by to check the progress on my seats. The one that has been fitted looks great and this is before steaming it. Foam was in good shape.
Attached Images      
Old 12-20-2014, 12:42 PM
Michael T
Racer

I got my car back and the seats look great. The perforated inserts matched perfect and the pleats came out as original. I also had the top of the door panel repaired.
Attached Images      
Old 12-20-2014, 12:43 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

I got my car back and the seats look great. The perforated inserts matched perfect and the pleats came out as original. I also had the top of the door panel repaired.
Looks terrific. Great job.
Old 01-18-2015, 01:26 PM
Michael T
Racer

Reset the trip odometer, less than 600 miles in 2014. I have a hotel room tied up for the Hill Country Rallye in late March, still waiting on the registration, so I think I will put a few more miles on it this year.

I polished the windshield today using Griot's Glass Polish and my Bosch orbital sander. I bought some glass polishing pads on Amazon. While it does not get out any heavy pitting, it did remove a number of the scratches. The windshield is much more smooth.

On a positive note, I got back from the Scottsdale car auctions last night. Lots of 911's and really strong money at RM and Goodings. Next weekend, the Rolex 24.
Attached Images     
Old 01-18-2015, 03:47 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

Reset the trip odometer, less than 600 miles in 2014. I have a hotel room tied up for the Hill Country Rallye in late March, still waiting on the registration, so I think I will put a few more miles on it this year. I polished the windshield today using Griot's Glass Polish and my Bosch orbital sander. I bought some glass polishing pads on Amazon. While it does not get out any heavy pitting, it did remove a number of the scratches. The windshield is much more smooth. On a positive note, I got back from the Scottsdale car auctions last night. Lots of 911's and really strong money at RM and Goodings. Next weekend, the Rolex 24.
Great! Any "after" pics post-glass polish?
Old 01-19-2015, 03:39 PM
Michael T
Racer

I should have taped off an area for before and after for pics. By bad. From the second photo above, basically the scratches that were lines are mostly gone and the pitted areas are smaller.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:55 PM
JCBH
Rennlist Member

I should have taped off an area for before and after for pics. By bad. From the second photo above, basically the scratches that were lines are mostly gone and the pitted areas are smaller.
Thanks!!!
Old 01-20-2015, 06:02 AM
Redline1
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Will have to try the PJ wheel cleaner
Old 02-07-2015, 06:12 PM
Michael T
Racer

Went to Lone Star PCA event this morning. Good attendance.
Attached Images      
Old 02-07-2015, 06:15 PM
Michael T
Racer

A last car is the real deal. The sign in the windows says "oh yes it is". I can not imagine what it is worth.
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: New to me 1989 Targa