Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can I ask a few stupid qustions and not get trolled by my lack of knowledge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 AM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I ask a few stupid qustions and not get trolled by my lack of knowledge?

I've been a Boxster driver for 6 years and just bought my first 911 yesterday. (1989 Carrera 3.2)

1. I have read (on the interwebs) that the top speed is 150, but I got mine up to 155 and it felt like it could go even a little further. I'm trying to figure out why.
Does it have anything to do with the whale tail spoiler? The previous owner bought it to "look cool" and didn't have very much info and knows less about mechanics than I do.

2. Pertaining to the whale tail, there is supposedly a front spoiler that works in conjunction with it, but I don't know what/where to buy it or even what the part number is.
I really like to look of THIS but that may just be my ignorance.

3. What are some ways to make the car faster? How fast can a Carrera 3.2 be modified to go without installing a turbo?

4. What exactly is is druck press?

5. And the dumbest one of all... How do I turn off the damn heater? I just blows and blows. I don't know if something is wrong with the heating system, but I've turned all the
dials on the dashboard as well as the ones behind the gear stick and can't get it to stop blowing for the life of me. I'm not trying to turn the heat down- I want it completely off.
Or maybe the car is always blowing air???
Attached Images  
Old 05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Hunt3R
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Your hood looks crooked, hope it was just popped open for the pic...

And it looks like you have 8" or 9" fuchs in back, were those wheels plastidipped?

That car has a front spoiler too, it's that unpainted, plastic lip on the lower front bumper.

Porsche had a habit of underrating the 911's power and performance. The best bang for the buck performance mods for a 3.2 will be replacing the catalytic converter with a premuffler or cat bypass pipe, and then replacing the stock DME chip with a tuned Steve Wong chip. In addition to just getting the engine tuned and running perfect with no air leaks, etc.

Druck Press is your oil pressure, druck is pressure in German. You should read up on where your pressure should be when running, warming up, at idle, etc b/c it can be indicative of problems. Learn how to check your oil level properly too before adding oil. Just search for older posts.

The heater should turn off, the heater controls are in the center console behind the emergency brake. Make sure the dial is turned to 0 and the levers are pushed down all the way. Also make sure it's not your fresh air blower running, those controls are on the dash. Fresh air blower is in the front trunk, heater blower is on the top, left of the engine where it draws heat from the heat exchangers covering the headers.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:15 AM
awhenry
Advanced

Also make sure that the valve on the heat exchanger is actually closed. One of mine used to stay open slightly even though the lever was closed. It was on the passenger side so I didnt notice it until my wife complained one day. You will need to climb under the car in the vicinity of the rear wheel on each side and check on the valve. It may just be full of road debris and stuck open or there may be worse problem. YMMV
Old 05-10-2013, 09:29 AM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

@ Hunter, my hood IS crooked.

The seller said had the wheels powder coated when the chrome started flaking off. Personally, I don't like it, but what can I do, aside from buying a used set off eBay for $1,200?

@awhenry I checked but I'm starting to think my central air is broken. The fans never go off while the car is running.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:09 PM
awhenry
Advanced

you may want to check the contact switch at the levers. My fan only comes on if I turn the dial from 0 to one of the fan speeds. Someone may have wired around the switch????
Old 05-10-2013, 12:22 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

You can have those wheels refinished to look like new. Prices vary, but it cost me $75 per wheel around here.

And please tell me you were at the track when you had that car up to 150 MPH, and not on a street or highway.
Old 05-10-2013, 01:36 PM
TheMystro
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche's go faster than reported simply because Porsche was very conservative about their performance numbers with the air cooled 911's. Always has been that way.
Old 05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
You can have those wheels refinished to look like new. Prices vary, but it cost me $75 per wheel around here.

And please tell me you were at the track when you had that car up to 150 MPH, and not on a street or highway.
...and you checked the date codes on your tires to be sure that they are newer than 5-years old...and that your tire pressures were correct.

BTW; the quoted factory top speed for your car is 240 km/hr (approx 149 mph). The 911 speedo usually registers a bit on the fast/high side of reality, so if you had not reached red line in 5th, in reality you were probably traveling at closer to 140 mph than to 155.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:21 PM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

I called some outfit in New Orleans called "rim-pros" and guy said because chrome is toxic that the only people that can re-dip them are in California... Is this guy flat out wrong?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Hunt3R
Racer

Original Fuchs had anodized lips, you don't want to have them chromed b/c it will eventually start peeling and you may have problems with the tire seating plus they'll look like crap. There's a few guys around the country that refinish Fuchs to their original appearance, I don't know of any in the New Orleans area. Personally I like your full matte black powder coating, I'd keep that or I'd polish the lips and paint the centers. You could always just sell them to someone who likes the look and then use the money to buy original ones or even already refinished ones. Mine right now are fully polished and not everyone likes that, but I think it looks good on a black car. Choose whatever looks good to you.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:08 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

OK.....I give you the troll treatment.

Unless you were on a closed track doing 150, then your an effing idiot. Who gives a rats *** how fast your car goes on the HWY, the speed limit is for the safety of all, not the few. Furthermore, you bought the car yesterday and you think you know enough about it in a few short hours to RISK driving it at 150.....that speaks volumes about your character.

End of rant.....please keep your **** out of Texas.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:16 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

fresh air blower is the top one on the dash. Heater controlled by either (1) autoheat dial, or (2) red levers pushed to the floor manually. These will have a 3 speed, 4 position dial. Heater control is between the seats. If the heat still blows, then you will have to adjust the heater boxes under the car.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:57 PM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Diamond Monaco
I called some outfit in New Orleans called "rim-pros" and guy said because chrome is toxic that the only people that can re-dip them are in California... Is this guy flat out wrong?
My 2 sets of Fuchs are not chromed. I prefer the look of polished aluminum rims and anodized or powdercoatted centers.

You still haven't answered the question of where you were doing 150mph in a possibly non track worthy car.

All of us who take our cars to the track have them tech inspected before every event, for the safety of everyone.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:33 AM
Diamond Monaco
Track Day

You still haven't answered the question of where you were doing 150mph in a possibly non track worthy car.
Can't you tell I'm trying to avoid the question... If you must know it was a strait away on hwy 281 just past the customs checkpoint outside of Corpus Christi. I realize that it was stupid but I can drive... I've taken a 997 to 180.

Originally Posted by Shannon123
OK.....I give you the troll treatment.

End of rant.....please keep your **** out of Texas.
Man, I just left!
Old 05-11-2013, 09:07 AM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

[QUOTE=Diamond Monaco;10453775]Can't you tell I'm trying to avoid the question... If you must know it was a strait away on hwy 281 just past the customs checkpoint outside of Corpus Christi. I realize that it was stupid but I can drive... I've taken a 997 to 180.

Same thing as taking a gun to the Mall, shooting it and telling the officer "I can shoot". There is no humor in this conversation.

Quick Reply: Can I ask a few stupid qustions and not get trolled by my lack of knowledge?