Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

What is this fuel hose called?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:17 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is this fuel hose called?

Pulled the SC out for the summer, started it up, and noticed fuel leaking from the main hose into the engine bay. Eeek!

Looks like the PO cut this fuel line and then spliced it back together when he did the engine swap (3.0 to 3.2) instead of doing it the right way. I want to get the real hose and do it right, but where is it on the diagrams?

http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...-86/201-10.php

This is the hose, its the one that runs out of the top of the fuel filter in the center of the picture. You can see the clamps where it is leaking on the right:

Old 04-20-2013, 11:47 PM
Mark Salvetti
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 193 Likes on 152 Posts

The fuel line from the filter to the engine is actually part of the fuel injection system. That's why you don't see it in the fuel filter diagram.

This is the part you are looking for:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Inf...0%281984-89%29

It may not be that simple, though. It may not be long enough to reach the fuel filter (not sure if the SC and Carrera filters are in the same place). I think fitting a 3.2 into an SC requires other fuel line mods. You may have some other splices elsewhere. Hopefully someone with one of these conversions will chime in.

Mark
Old 04-21-2013, 03:30 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh my.

First of all, that pic is a Carrera, not an SC.

And fuel line leaks have caused many fires, that usually total the car. You must have the fuel line replaced. There are several options. IMO, the best one is to at least partially drop the motor to gain access and do a good job. I'd replace all 3 rubber lines on the engine.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:39 PM
motojman
AutoX

"What is that fuel hose called?"

I call it expensive. I just had to replace the fuel lines on my 3.2L due to a leak and as was pointed out above if you do some searching it is a very common problem and many horror stories of it causing grave problems (thermal events).

The line that you are pointing to that goes to the fuel filter connects to a hardline at the left front of the motor. The hard line turns rearward and tracks under the intake plenum and is fastened below the idle control valve by a bolt. It Ts at this point and two flex lines go to the rear connection points on the L & R fuel rails.

There is also a line that goes between the fuel regulator (left front of motor) to the damper (right front of motor) and a short one near the filter to the regulator.

The line that you are looking at and snakes below the intake is ~$500 from Porsche and ~$350 from other parts suppliers. I cut the ferrules off the exiting line and reused the hard line bits and fittings by attaching fuel injector fuel line with clamps. Depends on what your interest is but this cost about $15 for all. My 3.2L is in a track car so I am not worried about originality and the fix is as good or better than crimped fittings.

It is also possible to do this repair/replacement without taking the engine out of the car or doing a partial drop. It requires removing some bits from the top of the motor and moving a few things around. It also take some dexterity and patients because it is a PITA to do.

But as was stated above... do them all and have peace of mind.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Ds1
Instructor

Typical. Looks like the parts search is on.

I'd love to splice into it again, but I'm worried about it leaking again too. Thanks for all the info guys, I'll have to take a little more looking around and decide what to do.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:38 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try calling Zims in Texas. Ask for Kirk.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:22 AM
fat cab
Pro

I have an extra one that i had rebuilt when i replaced mine.. PM me if your interested..
Old 04-23-2013, 11:24 AM
Ds1
Instructor

Check your inbox!

Quick Reply: What is this fuel hose called?