Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Is this the Correct Carpet Kit for my SC?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Ds1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this the Correct Carpet Kit for my SC?

Hey Guys,

Quick question: I need to re-do my carpets badly in my 82' SC Coupe. I also don't want to spend $1000 on the project, and also don't want to go to the RS style (I'd like to keep my rear seats/ stay as close to original as possible within a budget).

Just to check, will this carpet kit fulfill my dreams of a cheap(ish) carpet redo? Its domestic instead of imported, and isn't Silvernit, but its also only $280 for what seems to be a full kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/230932123434...84.m1438.l2649

Thanks!
Old 04-15-2013, 12:08 PM
joes911s
Track Day

The ads tells you it is not orignal material and it reccomends professional installer for fittings and gluing.

I'd say you will get what you pay for, and then only if you are very careful. js
Old 04-15-2013, 12:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,023 Likes on 728 Posts

... as stated you get what you pay for .. i wouldnt do it ..
Old 04-15-2013, 01:05 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Hm, okay thanks for the input. I'll also extend the question: has anyone ever used a carpet kit with similar material before?

Otherwise it looks like I'm on to the $600 Silvernit kit :-/
Old 04-15-2013, 04:19 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

appbiz has nice stuff. I just did my interior in the RS gray felt...came out nicely...if you are handy it's not that dif. You can't beat it for the price and the only place you have to worry about wear is under your heel.
Ask for a sample, they'll send you one and their auctions are up all of the time.[IMG]
Old 04-15-2013, 05:42 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the RS kit from Appbiz and had it professionally installed. These guys are the best in the business in Colorado and it took them 10 hours. I paid less than $300 for the carpet and $850 for the install. I would highly recommend a professional for best results.
Attached Images  
Old 04-15-2013, 09:30 PM
Reiver
Drifting

mmporsche is prob correct if you want perfection, the rear wheel wells and front quarter kick panels take some trial and error.....but I'd rather use the 850 or so fro something else...other than those 2 areas it was easy.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:09 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Guys, the seller is Appbiz. Bob is the best in the business. His carpet is in tens of thousands of Pcars. It's even in mine.

www.appbiz.com

Call Bob and ask for a sample deck.
Old 04-15-2013, 11:32 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Wow, nice interiors guys! Yeah this will be a personal install, I can put that $850 towards the driver's door armrest and handle I need

Good to hear about the experience with the seller... anyone used this specific material before? (I would love to do an RS kit and not worry about the rear seats and rear deck, but I'm worried about resale down the road since the rest of the car is 'stock'".
Old 04-16-2013, 12:15 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Originally Posted by Ds1
Wow, nice interiors guys! Yeah this will be a personal install, I can put that $850 towards the driver's door armrest and handle I need

Good to hear about the experience with the seller... anyone used this specific material before? (I would love to do an RS kit and not worry about the rear seats and rear deck, but I'm worried about resale down the road since the rest of the car is 'stock'".
Here are my Appbizz '73RS door cards I covered in black suede. Wasn't quite done, but you get the point. The smell is still intoxicating a year later.

Bob made me the first ever black Perlon RS carpet kit for a cabriolet. Correct description violates the terms of service, it's so nice.
Attached Images  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:26 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ds1

That makes it an easier actually. Using the back deck card and original padding is an easier install than a full strip.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:44 AM
Ds1
Instructor

Correct description violates the terms of service, it's so nice.
Hahahahahahah! Thats so hilarious it might just make it into my signature.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Ds1
Instructor

That makes it an easier actually. Using the back deck card and original padding is an easier install than a full strip.
See, thats why I opened this thread - to learn things like this! I think I may have settled on the black kit that I posted a link to earlier, as well as AppleBiz's vinyl rear deck. Think they'd make a package deal?

On the same topic, does anyone have a good source for the driver's side armrest/doorpocket? I need the whole assembly, and can only find pieces and parts. When I do find a nice used assembly, its $400 (once again, going RS is tempting!)

Once again, thank you VERY much for everyones help, I really appreciate you guys as there is not a large clan of Porsche freaks in my area.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Call Bob direct about the 'package deal'. He is very flexible and has great workers in the shop. I picket up my kit personally and got the grand tour. I was handed lots of extra goodies. I included in my order extra welting and bulk fabric, but was handed all kinds of little details unrelated to carpet.

They were in the middle of doing a set of pre-'74RS cards in black leather that were jaw dropping. Something so simple and I was fixated.

What color are your door pockets and why do you think you need new ones? The carpet kit comes with door pocket carpet. Do you just need new lids?

....and don't be afraid of domestic carpet. It may be more forgiving and durable than Perlon.

...and for sound dampening I uses foil backed felt under the carpet and Dynamat in the doors. Almost too quiet.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:14 PM
mmporsche
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by amber lamps
Call Bob direct about the 'package deal'. He is very flexible and has great workers in the shop.
I belong to "PCA" and typed that in on their website and it saved me 15%. I also ordered the RS vinyl door cards along with my carpet kit and it was all less the $500. Very happy with the quality and service with Appbiz

Quick Reply: Is this the Correct Carpet Kit for my SC?