Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Passenger mirror glass fell off - correct replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger mirror glass fell off - correct replacement?

Went over a little bump, thought I heard something that sounded like breaking glass, couldn't tell. A few miles later, went to change lanes from left to right and noticed my mirror was gone!

Seems like the parts houses are listing all sorts of different info - can't figure out which will fit. Some seem to indicate that the same mirror part # was used 84-86 and 87-89, others don't. Also some list a 944 part number. Anyone been through this recently and have any idea? If not guess I will have to call around on monday.

1986 mirrors were not heated, correct?
Attached Images  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:25 AM
racerbvd
Banned

Received 265 Likes on 180 Posts

Check your local glass companies, they can order them, and reasonable prices too.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:06 AM
awhenry
Advanced

Try Pep Boys or other chain parts store
Old 04-08-2013, 12:31 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The glass is a very thin and very light mirror.

If you can have one made, then that would be worth trying.

If you have to replace, then you need to confirm whether you have the press on style with spring clips, or the lock ring style. You most likely have the latter, which requires you to turn the lock ring with a small screwdriver inserted through the mirror housing hole.

I have found that the factory Porsche mirror is MUCH better than aftermarket ones in terms of longevity.

And yes, they were all heated. The backing, which is still attached to the car, has a heating element in it. The mirror heats up when the window defogger is turned on.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:42 PM
Repo_Man
Rennlist Member

I pulled the mirror out last nite and got a better look...it is the type that pulls straight out, using clips that sort of work like brass versions of those fasteners used to attach door panels. Part # is 911.731.035.06, which appears to be now superseded with .08., which is available. One thing that seemed off, is there are two squares of thin adhesive foam on the pivoting metal plate, with the foam now disintegrating. (See pic) I don't think the foam is supposed to be there, especially the way it was applied over that little white sticker. Google images doesn't show me any mirrors with any foam there.

The regular auto part stores had peel & stick mirrors, think I'll just go with the Porsche part, it lasted 27+ years so it did it's job. I will put new heat shrink on the connectors on both sides, as the old stuff was failing.

I tested out the old heating element with a 9V battery, didn't seem to do much, maybe I need colder ambient temps for it to be more noticeable, I'm sure the lower voltage (44% less wattage) doesn't help much either.
Attached Images  
Old 04-10-2013, 01:08 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try the driver's side mirror. The glass should be noticably warmer than the windshield. You might also test for voltage on the pass side contacts to make sure the heating circuit is working.

The foam might have been double sided foam tape. I use a plastic spatula to help pull the glass out of the mirror housing without bending it.

Quick Reply: Passenger mirror glass fell off - correct replacement?