Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

BEWARE - Exotic Motors - Rolling Hills, IL

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Mr. Incredible
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down BEWARE - Exotic Motors - Rolling Hills, IL

While I am new to Rennlist and in the market for a quality 993 S model car, I don't normally take the time to write negative things about car dealerships, but wanted to warn the Rennlist community about my experience with a car purchase with Exotic Motors in Rolling Hills, IL.

I called and made an offer on a 1996 4S car and placed a deposit contingent upon a successfull PPI inspection at a local Porsche dealer (Motorwerks of Chicago). Exotic Motors sent me an executed contract and a receipt for my deposit

After Exotic Motors got the car to the Motorwerk (a day late for appointment); a couple days later the Motorwerks called me to inform me that they had received a call from the GM at Exotic Motors "Rick" (never would give his last namen) and informed Motorwerks that my deal had fallen through and tried to change the name on the PPI inspection. Motorwerks would not do that and alerted me to the potential fraud.

Upon multiple calls to Exotic Motors (Rick would not return my calls) I finally got him on the phone and he told me the car was sold on Ebay prior to my sale - which is impossible since he's the one who made the deal with me! I personally think they obviously received a higher offer and tried to get out of mine.

As fate may have it, Motorwerks (which is absolutely awesome and a pleasure to do business with - especially Chauncy) called me later that day and would have told me to punt on the car anyway - said EVERYTHING was leaking and a pile of junk.

Here is the link to the expired ebay listing - and now they have the car on Autotrader also link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1996-...item43b9d9079c

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...40108224&Log=0

I'm sorry for the long post, but wanted to make the community aware since these cars seem to be in hot demand. I'll continue to make the search for my 993 car.

Cheers to you all and thank you for the valuable info on this site.

Best, Tony D
Old 03-27-2013, 01:17 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

.. for what its worth did you pay for the ppi ? if you didnt consider yourself getting off light , as the buyer a ppi is your responsibility . if you got a report of a bad car and you didnt pay for the ppi i say you did well
Old 03-27-2013, 05:18 PM
sameerg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll sell you a 997 for that price.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,404 Likes on 2,513 Posts

Tony, Motorwerks is fine for late model Porsches, but they really don't know the aircooled cars too well. They just don't see enough of them. In the future, if you need a PPI in that same area, try Fischer Motors. They are just down the road about 4 miles. Good luck with your search. Become a paid member, and buy from a Rennlister.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:44 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

I think he really liked Motorwerks , his real issue was with the used car dealer.. but you are right about the rennlister , at least you know you are buying from an enthusiast.

id be ineterested in what he agreed to sell it to the OP for .. that would tell a story ... no way i would pay that money for a car on the interent..
Old 03-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Mr. Incredible
Rennlist Member

Thanks all.

Motorwerks didn't charge me for the PPI and were awesome during this ordeal.

I currently have an deal pending successfull PPI with a Rennlist member, so I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one.

Best, TD
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Glad it is working out. Good advice here, though-a Porsche dealer is usually the last place to take an air-cooled car to, for PPI. They simply don't have the expertise any more. Yes, there are exceptions, but less each year.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:16 PM
Mr. Incredible
Rennlist Member

Thanks Ed.

Who would you recommend around Newport Beach, CA then? Newport Auto Center (Porsche) seemed reasonable upon questioning.

Best, TD
Old 03-27-2013, 10:51 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Incredible
Thanks Ed.

Who would you recommend around Newport Beach, CA then? Newport Auto Center (Porsche) seemed reasonable upon questioning.

Best, TD
A dealer will always seem reasonable, but the reality is they wont admit their shortcomings.

Near there is Hergeheimer, who do know air-cooled 911's. They get great reviews.

http://www.hergesheimer.com/
Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 AM
tulliotk
Advanced

I'll second the recommendation for Fischer Motors. My family and I have been going there for nearly 30 years. I consider them THE go-to place in the Chicago area for air-cooled 911s (although I brought a 944 to them, too).

Todd Kuzma

Quick Reply: BEWARE - Exotic Motors - Rolling Hills, IL