Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Speaker Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I used to have a large system in place on my '84 coupe. Alpine head unit, big a/d/s power amp, new speakers, sub, crossover, etc. After awhile, it just becomes almost fruitless to try to get decent sound in an old, noisy 911. I have fresh 4x6 speakers in my rear deck since the paper ones failed decades ago, but otherwise,I returned everything to stock and it's more fun to toss in a cassette from the '80's and listen to the stock system for a few songs just 'cause, well, it's an old car and a very old audio system.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 PM
wwest
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Why car amps use DC-DC converters.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...n-IjDSM7jkBV3A
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 133 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay H
I used to have a large system in place on my '84 coupe. Alpine head unit, big a/d/s power amp, new speakers, sub, crossover, etc. After awhile, it just becomes almost fruitless to try to get decent sound in an old, noisy 911. I have fresh 4x6 speakers in my rear deck since the paper ones failed decades ago, but otherwise,I returned everything to stock and it's more fun to toss in a cassette from the '80's and listen to the stock system for a few songs just 'cause, well, it's an old car and a very old audio system.
Agreed, that's why I didn't want to go nuts and just replace the damaged speakers that I had. At most, I'll look into the amp wwest mentioned.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by wwest
With a decent but relatively inexpensive (Kenwood KAC 8405, $120.00) 4-channel amp replacing the OEM speakers "in kind" would probably more than suffice.
Thanks and I will look into this for sure!
Old 04-01-2013, 02:06 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 911 came with 3 Soundstream 800 watt amps, and 4 3-way speakers and a huge subwoofer in a custom enclosure. The guy who had the car was a very fussy guy who made custom guitars and amps. I would have never ever in a thousand years put that stuff in myself, but I must say the sound is simply astounding. There must be over $800 in cable alone, not to mention the custom woodwork. Instead of sound that you sort of kinda hear, it has sound that you can almost "see". Total immersive environment, and I can sorta kinda hear the motor, hahah!!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:06 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
My 911 came with 3 Soundstream 800 watt amps, and 4 3-way speakers and a huge subwoofer in a custom enclosure. The guy who had the car was a very fussy guy who made custom guitars and amps. I would have never ever in a thousand years put that stuff in myself, but I must say the sound is simply astounding. There must be over $800 in cable alone, not to mention the custom woodwork. Instead of sound that you sort of kinda hear, it has sound that you can almost "see". Total immersive environment, and I can sorta kinda hear the motor, hahah!!
That's the type of system in NYC, that's considered the "two car lanes over". Back in the day, a shop would ask if you want the car in the next lane to feel your bass or two cars lanes over!
Old 04-01-2013, 07:09 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Is there any other way possible to improve the performance of my stock Monterey, without going the amp route, other than obviously replacing it?
Old 04-01-2013, 07:39 PM
wwest
Drifting

Can't think of any. In my '78 Targa the Kenwood 4-channel amp (~50W/chan.) and multi-CD player are mounted to the bottom of the passenger seat. Heavy duty wiring for 12 volt supply directly (fused) from the plus and minus battery posts.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:48 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
That's the type of system in NYC, that's considered the "two car lanes over". Back in the day, a shop would ask if you want the car in the next lane to feel your bass or two cars lanes over!
No, I have the gain turned almost to "0" on the amps, maybe just 1 or 1.5. They are there to provide plenty of clean power to each system. The sub is there and you can definitely feel it, but I don't need to play it loud to enjoy it. It's sort of magical, the way the space is just filled with natural sound.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:54 PM
wwest
Drifting

Originally Posted by rusnak
No, I have the gain turned almost to "0" on the amps, maybe just 1 or 1.5. They are there to provide plenty of clean power to each system. The sub is there and you can definitely feel it, but I don't need to play it loud to enjoy it. It's sort of magical, the way the space is just filled with natural sound.
Sounds more like UN-NATURAL SOUND to me.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

^ Haha!

Nope, I have the same speakers in my 'SC that run just from the deck alone. No comparison. The Infinity Kappas love to run off of amplifiers. Otherwise they sound like poo.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wwest
Sounds more like UN-NATURAL SOUND to me.
Audio is meant to be fun. Regardless of how it sounds.

I'm an audiophile. Designed more car audio systems than I can shake a stick at. Got a degree in music and audio. Have been trained by some of the best live sound engineers in my area. I have a decent system in the living room and 4 other systems around the house. But, one of my worst home systems right now on paper is one of my most fun. It plays only vinyl on a $400 entry level turntable into an old Adcom pre into some no name 8 watt mono tube amps into some entry level Kef's from the '80's (I Love The '80s!). Got a old paper cone sub for frequencies below 63 hertz (selectable on my Sumo crossover). Horrific gear (well, the crossover is pretty cool!) if you list out the stuff on paper.

However, it's a blast to listen to. I love how it sounds.

I enjoy the heck out of my stock system in my '84 Carrera coupe. It's a horrible system. Downright sh*ttie. But, it's fun to listen to how the factory set up the car for audio. After awhile I just turn it off since it's so bad, but I do seriously enjoy it for a few songs. Isn't that what it's all about?

So very respectfully, wwest, don't take yourself so seriously. Know how they work, but skip the specs. Use your ears, not a piece of paper. Enjoy your system. We'll enjoy our stuff too.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:28 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Audio is meant to be fun. Regardless of how it sounds.

I'm an audiophile. Designed more car audio systems than I can shake a stick at. Got a degree in music and audio. Have been trained by some of the best live sound engineers in my area. I have a decent system in the living room and 4 other systems around the house. But, one of my worst home systems right now on paper is one of my most fun. It plays only vinyl on a $400 entry level turntable into an old Adcom pre into some no name 8 watt mono tube amps into some entry level Kef's from the '80's (I Love The '80s!). Got a old paper cone sub for frequencies below 63 hertz (selectable on my Sumo crossover). Horrific gear (well, the crossover is pretty cool!) if you list out the stuff on paper.

I enjoy the heck out of my stock system in my '84 Carrera coupe. It's a horrible system. Downright sh*ttie. But, it's fun to listen to how the factory set up the car for audio. After awhile I just turn it off since it's so bad, but I do seriously enjoy it for a few songs. Isn't that what it's all about?
I am a huge fan of the 80's as well. Huge decade in my life, being that I went from 10yrs old in '80 to 19 in '89! I have an audio closet in my house that is piped into all the rooms, w/ a source panel on each wall, etc. I still have my '85 JVC receiver and double cassette deck operational and on the system! I actually run my ipad / pandora thru the receiver as well. Funny how compared to modern receivers, it weighs a ton! I will ride them until their demise, it's just one of those things.
The music that suits me most, when driving the Targa, is Pandora's Depeche Mode channel. It just sets the perfect mood in the car.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:57 PM
awhenry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check with Amazon for generic speaker covers. I replaced the rear speakers with the Kenwood 4x6 and the generic covers look like stock. I replaced the front 6" speakers with Polks from Crutchfields. No the sound doesnt compare with a modern system but having come from 18yrs of Miatas, the sound you can obtain from the 911 is pretty good. System works good until you hit a bumpy interstate section then the accumulated rattles of 911 overwhelm it.
Old 04-02-2013, 03:16 PM
wwest
Drifting

Audio is meant to be fun.

Regardless of how it sounds.

No, only as long as the sound reproduction is pleasing to the human ear.

I'm an audiophile.

Designed more car audio systems than I can shake a stick at.

Then my guess would be that you were one of the first to adopt the MOSFET DC-DC voltage upconverter, provided you are that old.

Got a degree in music and audio. Have been trained by some of the best live sound engineers in my area. I have a decent system in the living room and 4 other systems around the house. But, one of my worst home systems right now on paper is one of my most fun. It plays only vinyl on a $400 entry level turntable into an old Adcom pre into some no name 8 watt mono tube amps into some entry level Kef's from the '80's (I Love The '80s!). Got a old paper cone sub for frequencies below 63 hertz (selectable on my Sumo crossover). Horrific gear (well, the crossover is pretty cool!) if you list out the stuff on paper.

I enjoy the heck out of my stock system in my '84 Carrera coupe. It's a horrible system. Downright sh*ttie. But, it's fun to listen to how the factory set up the car for audio. After awhile I just turn it off since it's so bad, but I do seriously enjoy it for a few songs.

Isn't that what it's all about?

Only if you can live with just a few songs. In my case the high DB notes being flat-waved due to the 12 volt speaker drive limitation made the system unacceptable.

So very respectfully, wwest, don't take yourself so seriously. Know how they work,

but skip the specs.

If what you hear is unacceptable then you have no choice but to look to the specs to find the system limitations.

Use your ears, not a piece of paper.

Yes, use your ears FIRST and if what you hear....

Enjoy your system. We'll enjoy our stuff too.
I do.

Quick Reply: Speaker Upgrade