Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

4 Post Lift and Bridge Jacks - Porsche Suitable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:11 AM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Post Lift and Bridge Jacks - Porsche Suitable?

I would appreciate any input that can be provided.

I am in the process of having a house built. I have 28Lx14Wx12H space that will be a dedicated workshop. I am trying to decide on a lift. I lean toward the Bendpak SP7X full rise scissor lift. If I go that route, the lift would be installed flush in the floor. It is a slick install and would leave me with a completely uncluttered floor. For working on a rear engined Porsche, I suspect that setup would leave nothing more to be desired. For a variety of reasons, however, I may not be easily able to go with the SP7X. For that reason, I am seeking advice regarding how well a four post lift with one or two bridge jacks would do for working on a rear or mid-engined Porsche. I am primarily interested in doing routine maintenance and wheel and brake work. However, if I had to drop an engine or transmission, I would like the ability to do so with relative ease. The ability to store a car above with the 4 post lift is of some benefit to me, but not crucial. Not cluttering up my relatively small space is of more importance.

I have a couple of postings on Garage Journal that sort of ask similar questions to what is above but have had little response. I am hopeful that someone with four post lift experience and Porsches can give me their thoughts. And if any of you have an SP7X, I would be very grateful to hear your thoughts about how it works for you and your Porsche(s).

Mark

Last edited by OntarioMark; 03-04-2013 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-04-2013, 02:48 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I was headspace limited so went with this setup. Perfect for my needs. While the height is limited, all components on my GT3 and 911 SC can be removed/installed. I use regularly for changing all my cars from winter to summer tires as well as street to track tires. I can take it up to where the roof of the car is just at the garage door opener light.
Attached Images  
Old 03-04-2013, 04:23 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

are those posts bolted in the floor ? they look like they have wheels !!!
Old 03-04-2013, 04:49 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Yes, it is bolted to the floor with Power Drop expansion inserts. Minimum concrete depth is recommended at 6". The unit is rated at 6000lb. However, the nice thing is that it is also portable, meaning you just remove the bolts and the unit can be rolled away. The hydraulic system is also portable.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:56 PM
mikemdd
Racer

Correction: the concrete specification is 4", not 6".
Old 03-04-2013, 11:15 PM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was considering a 2 post so I could work on the car. Then my wife asked me how that would work for storage, and I re-thought the idea and went with a 4 post. I have one of the bridging jacks, and used it to put the car up on jack stands on the lift. The nice thing about the bridging jack is that is also locks mechanically, so it's safer than just trusting that the hydraulics don't give up at the wrong time. My car is on 4 jack stands and has the jack under there as well as a safety. The other nice thing abut the 4 post, is I can open the doors fully and get in and out easily with it on the lift.
Old 03-05-2013, 12:28 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Personally, a scissor or two post is the only way, for any meaningful work, especially that requiring wheel removal or engine drops. A 4 post is great for storage. It would get old having to deal with the bridge jack, IMO.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:50 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,022 Likes on 727 Posts

90 % of the work i do is on brakes, wheels, suspension .. so for me when i get my new garage it will be flush scissor jack ... and as Ed point out .. engine work you can use one too..
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Thanks for the replies so far. A two post lift - other than the MaxJax - is out of the question for me. My space seems narrow for the Bendpak units I like and I also do not have enough ceiling height.

Last edited by OntarioMark; 03-05-2013 at 07:20 PM. Reason: I am a better editor than writer.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:22 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

A scissors lift is what you need...you only need a 4 post if you are storing one car above the other (my issue)...more access witha a scissors or 2 post...altho I make it work with the 4 post.
An engine drop is dif with a 4 post...you have to 'hang' it off the end...not unsafe just a hastle.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
tailwind22
Rennlist Member

Last summer I decided to put in a lift with the thought of it doubling for a storage solution. I was concerned about the long term impact of having the four wheels unsupported so I went with the four post and bridge jacks. So far I have never stored using the double decker config as I have been working on a few different projects and didn't want to tie up the lift. The four post is quick and easy and I have gotten by and been able to perform all tasks with the help of the bridge jacks. Quite frankly the bridge jacks are a pain in the ***. I believe if I could do it all over I would go the route of a two post as I definitely like being able to have the car above head height and I am not sure I will ever have no winter projects so that I would store double deck and tie up the lift. Hope this helps.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:23 PM
OntarioMark
Advanced

Tailwind22,

Thanks for the input. Can you please elaborate a bit on how the bridge jacks are a pain in the ***? I suspect it is them getting in the way at times when you are not using them as well as their weight if you wanted to take them off of the lift. But I would appreciate knowing based on your experience the challenges they create. At this point the main thing that is keeping the 4 post in the running for me is the ability to use bridge jacks.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Radcap
Rennlist Member

I have a 4 post lift with moveable(sliding) jacks for work. It has been fantastic. no issues and works perfect everytime. Im not sure how many times I would pull the engine out of my car so that was never a consideration. The good thing about the 4 post lift is it can be used for double duty. Work and storage and up out of the way when not required.

Last edited by Radcap; 03-06-2013 at 05:15 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
tailwind22
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by OntarioMark
Tailwind22,

Thanks for the input. Can you please elaborate a bit on how the bridge jacks are a pain in the ***? I suspect it is them getting in the way at times when you are not using them as well as their weight if you wanted to take them off of the lift. But I would appreciate knowing based on your experience the challenges they create. At this point the main thing that is keeping the 4 post in the running for me is the ability to use bridge jacks.
Yes, they do get in the way and mine do not slide so easy in the tracks of the two ramps. Also, which may be specific to mine (made in China) are the fact that I have to jack and put stands in place and put extensions on three times to get high enough to remove the rear tires. Again, it is a process that works, it just takes more time than I would like. The four post is so nice in the respect that you can drive your car on and bang have it in the air, so in that regard that can offset the pain of the jacks.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

I always say I'm going to get a bridge from Direct Lift (nice unit) but never have...mine came with a heavy steel pan that bridges the gap and I usually just use a bottle jack to lift the car. hve to get creative on placement but not a real issue.

Quick Reply: 4 Post Lift and Bridge Jacks - Porsche Suitable?