Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Targa Wind Noise!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 12:28 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kshafer1
My coupe was louder with the windows up than down. Determined it was the shrunken windshield seal. Once a new one was put on it made a huge difference.
I am actually having a new windshield installed this Friday, due to glass damage, I will see if it makes a difference as you say.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:32 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by HarryD
You may have the wrong front seal.

Does your front edge lay flat against the top of the windshield frame?

You said you did the side seals. Did you replace the front windshield seal as well with the one that Dan Pechtel offers for our cars?

My car has a small gap over the wing windows but the noise is fairly low when I am on the freeway. When you are drivng, have your passenger look for air leaks by placing their hand over the seams and see if you can isolate the source.
I didn't do the side seals, top was rebuilt a few years ago by previous owner. I replaced the front seal, that Dan specifically supplied for this mode. it's nd is supposed to be superior the the Pelican parts one, that I believe is for a 964. I replaced it because it had it's day and had some chunks out of it, etc. noise was same before and after.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:00 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SARGEPUG
I didn't do the side seals, top was rebuilt a few years ago by previous owner. I replaced the front seal, that Dan specifically supplied for this mode. it's nd is supposed to be superior the the Pelican parts one, that I believe is for a 964. I replaced it because it had it's day and had some chunks out of it, etc. noise was same before and after.
How does the front and rear of the top fit relative to the tops of the windshield frame and targa bar? They should be flush.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:06 AM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by HarryD
How does the front and rear of the top fit relative to the tops of the windshield frame and targa bar? They should be flush.
Everything is flush, i'll take some pics.
Old 02-12-2013, 06:58 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

I found the culprit, to the exceptionally loud noise! First pic, shows clip was not 100% engaged. Rest of pics shows the obvious.
Attached Images         
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Yup those are them...
Old 02-14-2013, 11:45 AM
vracer
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Is there such a thing as a quiet Targa? My '89 is good up to about 65 before is gets really noisy at 70. The top was replaced by Porsche about 15 years ago, and appears perfect; you can't get a piece of paper anywhere.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by vracer
Is there such a thing as a quiet Targa?
Not in my experience, go to about 1:10 here:

Old 02-19-2013, 02:12 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

Glad to see you found the source.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:47 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Not in my experience, go to about 1:10 here:
Nice Ed! What system / setup did you have? The fabspeed setup I have listed in my signature, is pretty dam loud too. The wind noise obviously bothered me more the other day becasue of the dis-engaged clip, but also becasue I kept the rpms high and was light on the gas. This is becasue I didn't want to damage my 4yr old's ears during the 2 hour ride! lol
Old 02-19-2013, 05:01 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Fabspeed headers and Flowmaster muffler.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:49 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Fabspeed headers and Flowmaster muffler.
Nice!
Headers is probably the next thing I will do. I can't imagine how sick it will sound, coupled w/ the cat bypass and duel output exhaust I already have.
Old 03-03-2013, 05:53 PM
SARGEPUG
Drifting

At this point, I replaced the Targa front window bar seal, Targa bar seal and all door seals. She is as tight as a drum. I remember last winter, when all seals were original, the noise and the squeaking was terrible. Car is so tightly sealed, that now I have to shut the doors w/ more force, in order for them to compress the new seals enought to close!
Only remaining wind noise, is from the windshield seal, in the passenger and driver corners, just above the dash. I didn't replace windhshield yet, becasue the crack might be able to be repaired in lieu of going for a new one. However, if I can repair the orig, I will replace the seal. Then it will be like a vault!
Testament to the sealed nature, I could barely handle the auto heater on number one. I needed to put on the front vent to alleviate the heat and sometimes shut it all togehter. It was worth every cent I spent.
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 AM
fast_eddie
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have terrible wind noise from my targa roof. A friend was following me the other day and reported the vinyl on my roof lifts as I drive along. I suspect this is my noise problem (venturi effect) as I have replaced the front seal (Dans). I need to recover my top and glue the vinyl to the padding properly. In short, the targa top is bellowing. Hope that makes sense and perhaps help to others.
Ed
Old 05-21-2013, 12:14 AM
HarryD
Addict
Rennlist Member

fast_eddie:

While a reskin may help, more likey the burlap and foam uner the top are deterioroated and the top can no longer hold it's shape.

If it was me, I would send it to Dan Petchel (http://www.carsincnj.com/) for a proper rebuild.

I had mine redone last year and it is much better than beofre.

Quick Reply: Targa Wind Noise!