Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

One of those "Uh Oh!" Things

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One of those "Uh Oh!" Things

Or maybe "Oh s**t! This is one of those "be careful" stories.

As posted before I'm having to remove the fuel tank on my long-dormant SC to have it cleaned. I syphoned about 9 gallons out, and the I pulled the outlet hose. Not a lot drained out. So I put about a foot of clear tubing on the outlet and plugged the other end with a bolt and hose clamp. It sat that way for several weeks and not a lot of rotten gas accumulated in the hose. As an additional precaution the end of this hose was stuck in an old gallon vinegar bottle.

A couple of nights ago I put the SC's rear end back down on the ground and jacked the front higher, preparatory to doing some more work under the front end and removing the tank. I then pulled the bolt/plug from the hose and drained what was in the hose into the jug and left it that way, with a slow drip.

Big mistake. When I woke up the next morning the foul gas odor was permeating the house. I sprang up and immediately went to the garage where I found the jug overflowing and a very large puddle of stuff under the car. This in a garage with a gas water heater in it. Up went the door and I got to work mopping it up with shop towels, which I disposed of.

I replaced the jug with a 2.5 gallon bucket and over the course of the day it filled it about half-way, drip, drip, drip. I guess I'll have to continue this until it dries. I'm a little baffled about why it's so slow, but I'm guessing the strainer is so plugged it won't let any more pass.

Anyway be careful out there playing with gasoline!
Old 02-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Seanatrenn
Rennlist Member

Steam Driver - that could've had disaster written all over it...phew
Old 02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Oh yeah; lucky indeed. Although I don't know how flammable this "stuff" really is by this point. Just a good thing it wasn't fresh gasoline.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:41 PM
The Brewmeister
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts

YIKES! A call for hot water could have been disastrous!
Old 02-01-2013, 02:07 PM
slider172
Scared to Look
Rennlist Member

Scarey! I once went on vacation with my 993 parked in my garage along with a Hustler lawnmower with 2- 5 gallon saddle tanks. The needle valve stuck open on the carb draining one tank onto the floor. Thank goodness no source of ignition was there. I had to throw away all the food in the freezer that was out there due to it sucking fumes for a week.
I will no longer store anything but a car that has gas in my garage.

Quick Reply: One of those "Uh Oh!" Things