Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Full out restoration on MY 1989

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013 | 08:19 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Default Full out restoration on MY 1989

Looks like things are finally coming along. Have pulled the trigger on a full-out restoration (paint and interior). Thread running over here: http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...int-resto.html

BEST!

Doyle
Old 01-28-2013 | 02:20 PM
Fc6450
Intermediate

Nice going Doyle. Keep us posted over here too.
Old 01-28-2013 | 03:36 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

what?! gotta head over and take a look.

Doyle, your '89 is as beautiful as these cars get already. Can't imagine a restoration!!!!
Old 01-30-2013 | 07:19 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

It was time, Rusnak. She deserves it, as her seats were getting worn (driver bolster rip),...dash was cracked,...had 2 small rust spots around the windshield (turned out to be VERY minor)...2 small tears in the headliner...paint started to give way years after I bought her....blah-blah-blah......

Car looked fine,..presented very well,..but it was not "perfect"...she WILL be when I'm done with her. When I first sent the Painter some pics (pics from early on), he replied that the car didn't look like it needed painting,..(funny)...as it was a bit different up close and in person.

@Fc6450: thanks for your comments,..and I certainly will keep this group posted on changes as they happen...my painter is about 100 miles away,..so it's not like I can drop over each day to check things out. Besides, the upholstery piece of this project is becoming a little tiresome,..eating up too much time to establish matching of the leather,..still waiting on the sample swatches from Heritage. GEEZE,..I'm ready to ship this interior out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Standby for news (hopefully soon).....

BEST, to all!

Doyle
Old 01-30-2013 | 08:00 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Doyle, hang in there, brother! Try to find something you like about the process and think of that.....it'll help get through the restoration blues!
Old 01-30-2013 | 08:33 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

I am, Rusnak,..I've no choice , at this point. You get to where you "like" all of those "somethings",..then, you're consumed.

I think I'll get through those blues,..as long as the interior Vendor in mind keeps up the "pace".........

I'll say that I've been rambling through Joe Bonamassa's Library lately.......

Big thanks, Rusnak. Glad you're not a curmudgeon.....(not to be "dramatic"......)

My best!

Doyle
Old 03-26-2013 | 08:15 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Just wanted to post our progress (slow!) on this project. To reduce repetition, look here:

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...int-resto.html

Best to all!

Doyle

Last edited by dshepp806; 03-28-2013 at 09:07 AM.
Old 04-22-2013 | 11:12 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

ongoing...

Doyle
Old 05-09-2013 | 08:22 AM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

slowly,..but surely:
Attached Images      
Old 05-09-2013 | 07:18 PM
whalebird
Race Car

Wow Doyle. Your in deeper than I expected. It's overwhelming looking at all those parts, and I also know the amount of effort sourcing them. Dealing with the factory is the right way to go, but you're sure to have a mass of NLA and supersceded items that take time to verify...lots of time chasing this level of detail. AND lots of trust in all the wonderful talent you've recruited.
Hang in there. If I can do anything for you, do call on me. You know I'm here.
"All Four Winds Together..."
Old 05-09-2013 | 07:40 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

OK Bird,..quit scaring me!!!! To have rx'd these pics almost broke my heart,...all I can do (now) is wait it out. Yes Sir, she's in good hands...no amateurs or wannabees in this loop. All "big boy pants" and "big-boy bucks".

Thanks for your offer of contact regarding this process. I've put a lot of time into it for sure. I've about $6K of frikin' parts (here at the house) that will go to John Holt when it's time to reassemble. I'm really not sparing anything on this project.

Most of what I've needed, I've been able to get. There exist some areas that I can't figure out what to do just yet. I was able to get new vinyl piece from Porsche for the gauge "backing" but fell short on heading to the right of that position (all the way to the glove box),..not too overly concerned about that . This interior has taken more time than I EVER expected. Since I'm working with Heritage (in Washington State), it's taken quite a bit of time to get samples from Germany then get them to me (GA),..multiply THAT by 3 and you can see where 1 1/2 - 2 months would not be surprising. Their (Tony's) attention to detail is really amazing....not cheap-by any means-, mind you,.... but I'm comforted knowing that the interior rework is in his hands.

As to paint,..there just isn't any better than John Holt. A fact. End of story.

The headliner and pillars will be done locally, so I'm not sure who will handle that piece, but John will make that call. I trust his judgement, nonetheless.

VERY STRESSFUL, BIRD!!!!!! Forgetting the necc'y process at hand, my (forced) Porsche abstinence has manifested in not being able to relieve the day's work-related stresses with that afternoon drive......never realized just how much I missed this girl,..and the "medicinal" qualities she provided me......

No worries on knowing you're there (that's a given', I'd say). Hopefully I can buzz you soon to chat and catch up on things.

Hope you and yours' are doing well.

I'll post some pics of my parts that are residing at the house,...actually, I already posted these pics on PP...a boatload of parts,....certainly contributed to Uncle Wayne paying his rent......

GOOD to hear from you, Sir!

My best!

Doyle
Old 05-09-2013 | 07:50 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

BTW: how's about that R& R HAF induction for RUSH? (hehehe),...long overdue. Not sure if you've yet watched the video of this evening, but will tell you that you MUST watch it!!! Alex's response to the induction is hilarious,..and dead on in his technique and "content".....

Good stuff,.....my boys from Canada!!!!!

Long live RUSH!

Doyle
Old 07-15-2013 | 06:10 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Que pasa?
Old 07-15-2013 | 07:52 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Mister Moo,..funny you should post this,..as I was typing an email to my upholsterer to request an update!?!?!?!?

Standby for news, Sir!

BEST!

Doyle
Old 07-17-2013 | 02:30 PM
Mister Moo
Instructor

Doyle - funny you should post that... last week my (not too old) drivers side sport seatback pasha linen insert started delaminating. My upholsterer, sad to say, is sorry to hear it, wanting to be helpful but seriously unwell at the moment. Later for whatever. Good luck with your

Finish that thing up and I'll drive by and bring you a cigar.

Quick Reply: Full out restoration on MY 1989