Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Can I afford a classic 911?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 08:55 PM
B Chester
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fritzo:

I agree with the sage guidance provided so far. I had a 2003 Boxster S for a number of years, and it was modern with creature comforts as you say, and it was fun, but it did not really have a "soul". The acceleration and the engine sound at high RPM's, and the ability to drop the top were enough for me for a while. I was always concerned about IMS issues, so I had the LN engineering IMS upgrade done. Other than that, I would not say that annual maintenance costs were excessive at all.

I traded the Boxster S for a 1987 Targa, and it has been a blast to drive. It's much more of a visceral driving experience than the Boxster. Prices for 1980's vintage 911's generally do seem north of $20K for examples in decent shape, with pristine models up to $25K to 30K+.

I concur with the sentiment of going for it.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:12 AM
eddie_993
Rennlist Member

Your budget is a good starting point and since you are mechanically inclined you can probably do 75% of the repairs yourself. You will still have to drop a bit every few years on large items (if you don't do them yourself), however, it's still manageable.

If you can find a decent one get an 87-89 (w/ G50) if not I'd say the 84 to 86 with the 3.2 would be my next choice. The 964 is also a great candidate and usually a bit cheaper than the G50s.

Once you pull the trigger, there is no turning back from a 911! Just warning you
Old 01-21-2013, 01:10 AM
wesr
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I've owned my 87 911 for nearly a year and I can safely say the thrill hasn't worn off. It's amazing how 5 minutes behind the wheel can make you forget that bad day at work.

I bought the car knowing full well it was a hobby, but so far it's not been cheap. Without adding up receipts (yet) I've spent between $5 - 7K in maintenance, refurbishing, and upgrades in 11 months. It really does add up quickly.

My wife has a 99 Boxster with 50K and we just replaced the IMS bearing after my mechanic spotted the shavings in the oil filter canister. It's certainly a fine vehicle with good power & handling, but lacks the soul of an air-cooled 911. Two entirely different driving experiences IMHO.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 AM
IKESS
2nd Gear

For $20,000, you can get a very good car from a private party (but not from a dealer). Targas are not as popular as coupes. Look for a car that has been a "garage queen" with a good history of maintenance, no accident history, no oil leaks and a great interior, i.e., basically a car with good bones. Don't let the miles get in the way either. These cars should be driven at least a thousand miles a year to keep all of the seals lubricated. Stay away from cars with oil leaks. I have had my '83 Targa for 7 years. Its been a great car, and I am planning on selling it. I am ready to step up to a newer Porsche for daily commuting. http://www.flickr.com/photos/griots/7997184503/in/set-72157631560668577[/IMG]
Old 01-21-2013, 02:20 AM
IKESS
2nd Gear

Prices on Targas are not as strong as they are on coupes. That is why you will find a good car for $20,000 or less.
Old 01-21-2013, 04:17 PM
GothingNC
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 31 Posts

$20K is a good budget to find a nice un-molested Targa.

Over the past 7 years outside of routine maintenance (oil, tires, brakes, tune-up's) my surprises have been minimal:

CV joint disconnected
Fuse Box Fire
Muffler Strap
Brake Caliper rebuild

Just don't start looking for 914's...

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...914-2-0-a.html
Old 01-21-2013, 06:02 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My own $.02:

I echo the sentiments that you ought to look at the 3.2 Motronic 911s. I personally think that reliability is worth some $$, so the premium you'd pay for a 3.2 over an 'SC is worth it. I don't think the heavier G-50 is worth the extra $$, and is not any more reliable.

I would encourage a lot of reading, and recommend books/authors such as Paul Frere, Bruce Anderson, and our own Peter Zimmermann.

Don't buy a 911 hastily! Budget at least a year after you actually start looking, to find a GOOD, WELL MAINTAINED 911 THAT SPEAKS TO YOU. You'll know it when you find it. Best way to do this is to look at a lot of 911s, drive the ones that look good to you, and don't waste any time on the beaters. You won't learn anything from them.

Forget about a Boxter. Comparing the two is like saying you might buy a Lincoln or a Mercedes.

As for maintenance, don't get behind. That's how it gets expensive. Dont buy cheap parts or cheap tools, and know that the 911 is very unforgiving of careless maintenance. It's a high quality machine that is not for the uninvolved.

Yes, if $20K is your budget, then you can afford a classic Porsche 911.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:56 PM
msterling
Advanced

Take your time to find a really good one but....DO IT! You should be able to handle any regular maintenance which will keep the cost down. I have had my '88 Cab for 8 years and it just made its first trip to a shop. I didn't feel ready to do a valve adjust and alignment. I drive about 2k/year and have averaged less than $1000 upkeep costs per year. Mine does have low miles (currently 52k).

The G50 trans IS tougher and more reliable and is only a wee bit heavier. It is also easier to shift. That being said, I would not turn down a properly maintained 911 with a 915 trans.

The 3.2 Motronic engine is more trouble-free than the 3.0 in the SC. The fuel injection on the 3.0 is complicated to diagnose if there are problems. Both are great engines if maintained properly.

For 20k you are looking at a "perfect" SC, a very good 83-86 915 Carrera or an average G50 Carrera. There is a LOT to said for buying a car that is in tip-top condition. Mine cost a lot more than $20k when I bought it but has had no real service issues. Porsche incrementally improved the 911 during those years. A 964 would have more power, better suspension and good A/C. I would suggest you drive one if you can to see if it feels like what you want.

At 6'4" myself, I can say that I easily fit in my Cab but everyone is different (trunk and legs) and a Targa will have somewhat less headroom. You will never fit in a Boxter. I surely do not.
Old 01-27-2013, 10:32 PM
burglar
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

I too have had the bug for a very long time, and finally had the opportunity. We're on a semi modest budget as well, but my wife knew what a 911 meant to me.

Shop very carefully. There is no shortage of overpriced cars. I looked for two years, got a good idea of the market, and was aware of the right car to jump on when it came up. I was looking for any sc or carrera coupe, and ended up with an 84 for well, well under your budget. It's easy to dump as much money as you want into the cars, if you desire, but they seem very stout, over engineered, and just love getting miles put on them. I drive it every nice day I can, and don't regret it.

The nice thing, is as long as you maintain the car, it'll most likely at least hold it's value. Not that once you have one, you'd ever sell it...
Old 01-30-2013, 07:19 PM
aratapuss
Instructor

Quick 2 cents . . .
I have had a 2004 Boxster for 6 years, and absolutely love it. It drives like nothing else, everything works great, and has a great look and sound. I will probably never sell it.

I also have a 1987 911, and bought it over earlier models account the G50 tranny. Nothing like an old car for memories and looks, totally cool and simple, the 2 cars compliment each other.

If I had to choose between them, it would come down to usage, the Boxster is better in most things, so if I did a lot of driving, it wins hands down. The 911 is just dang cool, and evokes a different passion.
Old 01-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

A Boxster is a good car-if you aren't 6'2" or have long legs.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:27 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by aratapuss
Quick 2 cents . . .
I have had a 2004 Boxster for 6 years, and absolutely love it. It drives like nothing else, everything works great, and has a great look and sound. I will probably never sell it.

I also have a 1987 911, and bought it over earlier models account the G50 tranny. Nothing like an old car for memories and looks, totally cool and simple, the 2 cars compliment each other.

If I had to choose between them, it would come down to usage, the Boxster is better in most things, so if I did a lot of driving, it wins hands down. The 911 is just dang cool, and evokes a different passion.
,,just keep driving em both for another 10 years .. lets see which one is still around
Old 01-31-2013, 05:36 PM
mlambert890
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
,,just keep driving em both for another 10 years .. lets see which one is still around
As long as they're both well maintained they'll both be around forever. Only neglect kills cars (and considering how easily old cars rust it can kill those even quicker)

This idea that old cars magically last forever because they were built by elite dwarven craftsmen and new cars immediately fall apart after 10 years is BS. I have a friend with a 98 Boxster that has 100k miles and looks nearly new because he takes fantastic care of it. Conversely there is an older 911 near me that looks completely beat to $hit because the owner cant/wont keep up on it.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:49 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by mlambert890
As long as they're both well maintained they'll both be around forever. Only neglect kills cars (and considering how easily old cars rust it can kill those even quicker)

This idea that old cars magically last forever because they were built by elite dwarven craftsmen and new cars immediately fall apart after 10 years is BS. I have a friend with a 98 Boxster that has 100k miles and looks nearly new because he takes fantastic care of it. Conversely there is an older 911 near me that looks completely beat to $hit because the owner cant/wont keep up on it.
well time will tell.... how many classic 911s have been thrown away due to catastrophic engine failures .. vs how many boxsters.. and the boxsters dont even see track much .. lease crowd car ...

time will reveal the true answer.

"Among premium brands one to 25 years old, Porsche ranked the highest with 96.8 per cent of its cars still on the road, against an industry average of 54.2 per cent. "

really think this is thanks to the Boxster ? ....

Longevity my friend lies in the design , as well as the maintanance .. and if both cars are maintained equally well... i pity the 996 owner
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Porsche was spending way too much money on the components when they were building the impact bumper 911s, which carried all the way to the K-series '89. They carried over the bumpers, zinc rust proofing, and dry sump engine lubrication which all contributed to the car's long service life. By the early 90s, Porsche seriously had to cut back on costs and began to design cars with a lot more plastic components and snap in parts vs. part that had to be bolted on by hand.

Our esteemed colleague Whalebird once offered the insight that the fasteners make up the soul of these aircooled cars, and I think he was very much on to something. The solid "billet" feel, the quarter inch thick bumpers, the scream of the engine note are all evidence to Porsche's commitment to a concept in an era when the company defiantly held quality over costs.

Quick Reply: Can I afford a classic 911?