Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Few ergonomic questions from a prospective buyer.

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 11:12 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
So - do you think the differences between the 87 and pre-87 ventilation systems isn't enough to warrant me narrowing my choice?

It seemed that between the larger vents, footwell fans, and I thought some updated AC hardware - the car might be a bit more comfortable during those days where I might have someone else in the car with me. Can the earlier cars be fitted with these fans? I've read up on the AC upgrades that can be done, but thought I could get away with the stock unit on the 87 car if all the parts were functional - at least to take the edge off. I'm not looking to turn the car into a fridge like modern AC units.
In a word; yes. Other than some change in the center vent, not a quantum leap forward, they are the same system. The footwell fans are included in the '84 and on.

Any Carrera will require $1500-2000, or more, to get a passable AC system. $3K is not an unheard of expense for a turnkey upgrade.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:12 AM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

To reinforce Ed's post, on my '84, I spent $2500 restoring my A/C back to fully stock which required all new hoses and fittings, dryer and diagnostic work and R-12 refrigerant. Luckily, my compressor was good yet. We had a very hot summer in WI this year (but still nothing like the South) and on 95 degree days with very high humidity, the A/C would take the edge off the heat. On cooler days (let's say 80 with high humidity), the A/C will keep up. It's just fine on those warm spring days where temps are still cool, but the sun is high which heats the cabin.

You won't get truly modern A/C until you step up to the 964 or do massive upgrades to the stock system on pre '89's...
Old 12-25-2012, 11:10 AM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

^^^and the upgraded parts are only a phone call away so it's no big deal to start your fix with the improved components.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:21 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No affiliation

M491

http://www.cannillomotorsports.com/p.../wb84/wb84.htm
Old 12-25-2012, 09:08 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shannon123
That one is a bit rough.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:11 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
That one is a bit rough.
YUP...but OP said he was looking for $20k+ M491...and I think this one would be representative if what you would get.

Last edited by Shannon123; 12-25-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:29 PM
Shannon123
Burning Brakes

To OP....

I assume you follow Pelican which is a great resource for Pcars as well as here.

Use these syntax in google to find turbo look or widebody cars...you can further refine my reducing the time lookback.

widebody site:forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

turbo look site:forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/
Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon123
To OP....

I assume you follow Pelican which is a great resource for Pcars as well as here.

Use these syntax in google to find turbo look or widebody cars...you can further refine my reducing the time lookback.

widebody site:forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/

turbo look site:forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/
Awesome. Thanks for that. What looks rough about the car? Engine bay looks clean, though not show quality. No pics of the underside, and it is a NY car - so corrosion comes to mind. Looks like one of the dials is missing from the climate control, a bit of wear on the front of the seats and maybe lower left bolster on the driver seat, fading on some of the plastic exterior panels, etc. All things that can be fixed, though. I'm more concerned with the engine and its upkeep - and the paint in an overall sense (not in need of a complete repaint). I'm expecting to spend at least 2-3k getting whatever car I get properly sorted out.

For me - this is a long-term car. So, I'm expecting, and on some level, excited for some of the DIY rehabbing that will be involved. But at the same time, I'm warming up to the NB cars looks as well, especially with the turbo twist wheels or something similar. Plus, I'm not a fan of the car looking like something it's not (turbo). My fiancee loves fat fendered pcars, and I'd be lying if I said those rear fenders didn't bring out the school kid in me.

Been doing a ton of research using this forum and pelican. Honestly, I'd probably be looking at other cars if there weren't excellent resources online like these two forums.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:47 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

In a word; yes. Other than some change in the center vent, not a quantum leap forward, they are the same system. The footwell fans are included in the '84 and on.

Any Carrera will require $1500-2000, or more, to get a passable AC system. $3K is not an unheard of expense for a turnkey upgrade.
Good to know. I think that will be my new cutoff for years, then.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:49 AM
Batman 357
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Condition, condition, condition. A pre purchase inspection is also a good idea. If I were to use mine as a daily driver I would up grade the oil cooler. The AC will never be good unless you up grade to a first class after market unit with new hoses.

Other than the oil cooler it's a tough little car that is fun to drive. No cup holders or computers. It takes both hands and feet to drive & sounds great. Enjoy...
Old 12-26-2012, 10:57 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

The things you mention, and from memory, the front lip of the hood doesn't lay well, missing a rear bumper trim plug on the left, and the rear electrical cover in the engine box. Those were the low hanging fruit from a quick glance the other day. Not a well-loved car, so my guess is there will be plenty of other things on a car asking for $20k+.

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
Awesome. Thanks for that. What looks rough about the car? Engine bay looks clean, though not show quality. No pics of the underside, and it is a NY car - so corrosion comes to mind. Looks like one of the dials is missing from the climate control, a bit of wear on the front of the seats and maybe lower left bolster on the driver seat, fading on some of the plastic exterior panels, etc. All things that can be fixed, though. I'm more concerned with the engine and its upkeep - and the paint in an overall sense (not in need of a complete repaint). I'm expecting to spend at least 2-3k getting whatever car I get properly sorted out.

For me - this is a long-term car. So, I'm expecting, and on some level, excited for some of the DIY rehabbing that will be involved. But at the same time, I'm warming up to the NB cars looks as well, especially with the turbo twist wheels or something similar. Plus, I'm not a fan of the car looking like something it's not (turbo). My fiancee loves fat fendered pcars, and I'd be lying if I said those rear fenders didn't bring out the school kid in me.

Been doing a ton of research using this forum and pelican. Honestly, I'd probably be looking at other cars if there weren't excellent resources online like these two forums.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW, my wife loves driving my G50. But she loves manuals, and hates automatics just like I do. She would probably be fine with a 915 as well.
My AC didn't work, and instead of shelling out $$ to make it work, I removed it.
I'm fine with the wind blowing in the window on a hot day. We seldom get past 90 F here in the summer anyway.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

The things you mention, and from memory, the front lip of the hood doesn't lay well, missing a rear bumper trim plug on the left, and the rear electrical cover in the engine box. Those were the low hanging fruit from a quick glance the other day. Not a well-loved car, so my guess is there will be plenty of other things on a car asking for $20k+.
The more I've looked, the more it seems like a good M941 car goes for high 20s to 30s for good ones, and low 20s for good NB cars. Plus - I think I'm starting to really like the NB cars and I'm not a fan of the car looking like one thing, but being another. It's like slapping on fat fenders on an Audi A4 to make it look like the RS4. Ultimately, my wet dream car is a 930 or 993 Turbo, so I think for now a good NB car that is well sorted will be perfect. And - putting snow tires on it for what little snow we get in Denver will be easier to run a narrower tread on a NB car, than trying to make it work on the Turbo Look - at least in regards to fender gap (which I hate).

I'm deployed at the moment, but headed home in a few weeks and will start the search at that point. So much good info on this site and on Pelican.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

I hope you aren't in a completely brutal place, and stay safe until you come home! Have a Happy New Year!

Quick Reply: Few ergonomic questions from a prospective buyer.