Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Thinking of purchasing a '76 Eurocarrera 2.7

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:33 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Thinking of purchasing a '76 Eurocarrera 2.7

Am I looking at a troublesome motor? Is this a car to avoid? I am thinking of the collectiblity and hoping not to be constantly working on it.
Old 12-10-2012, 04:48 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general, no the engine is not a problem at all, but it all depends on condition. If it was rebuilt who did it and is it documented. Make sure it is the original engine case.

These are a car to covet. They are rare and very desirable. What is the color and is it in original condition?
Old 12-10-2012, 04:53 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
In general, no the engine is not a problem at all, but it all depends on condition. If it was rebuilt who did it and is it documented. Make sure it is the original engine case.

These are a car to covet. They are rare and very desirable. What is the color and is it in original condition?
Hi Brian:
It was because you answered a posting of mine when I was inquiring about 911S, that you steered me towards your favourites, the Carreras of '74 and '76. It all began here. So here I am, I found a '76 Carrera 2.7 Eurospec 210 hp, but have hit a major speed bump. I cannot find anybody to step up and do a pre-purchase inspection. The Carrera was originally chocolate brown, but now is painted lime green. I am okay with that colour or blue, but the rest of the car has to be original which I think I found in this car. The car is not far from Nice, but no responses to my emails for help. Perhaps it is because they can see I am from California, otherwise I don't know why I can't find anyone.
Now I am thinking if I could find the French 911 forum, I could find someone, but I have been at this search for a couple of hours, but haven't found the French forum.

Last edited by bcgreen; 12-10-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:03 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,115 Likes on 797 Posts

"jump to " on left . regions .. rennlist europe..

I know US 2.7 cars are definitely undesirable for many reasons. Maybe Brian knows soemthing about the european ones we dont. Maybe they didnt have the thermal reactors .. or the case and heads were made of the same material so didnt expand at different rates that caused the studs to pull out of the case. The US cars had magnesium cases and alluminum pots which was a big contributing factor.

Just like the US cars the 2.7 can be good if documented as well sorted and repairs done properly.
Any repaint for me would not add any value and certainly detract from it. I would never buy any car like this site unseen for any real money.

Just my opinion and I may be way off but this just has too many flags.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:06 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by theiceman
"jump to " on left . regions .. rennlist europe..

I know US 2.7 cars are definitely undesirable for many reasons. Maybe Brian knows soemthing about the european ones we dont. Maybe they didnt have the thermal reactors .. or the case and heads were made of the same material so didnt expand at different rates that caused the studs to pull out of the case. The US cars had magnesium cases and alluminum pots which was a big contributing factor.

Just like the US cars the 2.7 can be good if documented as well sorted and repairs done properly.
Any repaint for me would not add any value and certainly detract from it. I would never buy any car like this site unseen for any real money.

I am curious about your question. Did the ROW Carreras from '76 have the stud problems? Good question for Brian.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:18 PM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by theiceman
"

The Euro Carrera 2.7 MFI car was high near a completely different animal than the US 2.7 CIS engined cars,cometically sure they appeared the same but
underneath where it counts is where the difference lies.
I'm sure a few contributors will second my assertions,the '74,'75 and even a
few early '76 Euro Carrera chassis came with the vaunted RS MFI 2.7 eng
same as in the European delivered 1973 RS .
No thermal reactors,steel head studs,same magnesium 7R case, but a higher
compression ratio and highly competitive race style mechanical injection as
used on S and E models '1969 through early 1973.
These cars did often suffer the tin worm from heavily salted european roads
but at the time you couldn't find a faster road car in street legal trim.
Particularly fond of this engine ,personally own two examples one in my RS
clone the other a spare being completely refurbed...Bert
Old 12-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Interesting, wasn't aware of the major dif.
But wouldn't steel head studs in magnesium cause the pulled head stud deal. Huge dif in thermal expansion between steel and mag. That's why they went to the dilivar studs with similat expansion rates as alloys (but other corrosion issues over time) on the exhaust.
Asking, not sure.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:14 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Hey, Bert, I'm in the L.A. area as well. Where did you get your engines for the RS?
Old 12-10-2012, 09:14 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure, it's at the point that any of the shorthood 911/83 engine case numbered cars are worth restoring, just as nearly any longhood, nearly no matter the cost. (See: the '72 S restoration Colin's doing on a nearby thread.) But the thing is that the car has to have matching chassis/engine/transaxle numbers. Halfway around the world, and 35+ years later? Beyond due diligence is required.

And yeah, it's a 2.7 just like all the others out there. No, being a non-US (or more usually correctly a non-CA) engine, there were no thermal reactors installed. Same 8.5:1 compression ratio as any other CIS "S" engine from '74-7. Same exhaust as any of the engines through MY74. Just the MFI as in a '73RS (which is basically as a 2.4S, save for differences in the MFI pump), and S cams as in pretty much any S from the first ones they installed in a 2.0.

At this point it would be mind-boggling to think the engine hasn't been apart, and have been timeserted. Might not have been done due to pulled studs at all, but knowing what we know about the 2.7, if the engine came apart it probably got the inserts.
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, Ken makes good points. Most likely the engine in this Carrera would have been rebuilt and hopefully with either time certs or case savers to prevent head stud issues. That is why records are very important.

Hi Brian:
It was because you answered a posting of mine when I was inquiring about 911S, that you steered me towards your favourites, the Carreras of '74 and '76. It all began here. So here I am, I found a '76 Carrera 2.7 Eurospec 210 hp, but have hit a major speed bump. I cannot find anybody to step up and do a pre-purchase inspection. The Carrera was originally chocolate brown, but now is painted lime green. I am okay with that colour or blue, but the rest of the car has to be original which I think I found in this car. The car is not far from Nice, but no responses to my emails for help. Perhaps it is because they can see I am from California, otherwise I don't know why I can't find anyone.
Now I am thinking if I could find the French 911 forum, I could find someone, but I have been at this search for a couple of hours, but haven't found the French forum.
Today 02:48 PM
Well then I need to continue to help you with your quest for one of these special cars. Sending you a PM.

Quick Reply: Thinking of purchasing a '76 Eurocarrera 2.7