Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

disconnecting/removing AC - noticeable difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2001, 01:24 PM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question disconnecting/removing AC - noticeable difference?

I'm still pretty new to this whole 911 thing, but I've heard that disconnecting and/or removing the AC will make a performance difference. I have an 86 euro 911 Cabriolet that I have started autocrossing quite a bit. I NEVER use the AC, so I would not miss it. I plan to keep the car for a long time, and it already has enough little things changed that I am not worried about keeping it "original" or stock for resale purposes.

So, will just disconnecting the belt that runs the compressor make any sort of noticeable performance difference? Will removing all the AC components be worth the trouble and weight savings?

Thoughts, comments, advice on the procedure are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Dean
Old 07-03-2001, 02:51 PM
markusO
Track Day

I've heard that a total weight loss in the range of 50 pounds can be achieved with removal of all AC equipment. I am also considering removing mine as I never use it. Was thinking to just remove the compressor and condensor and leave the lines and equipment behind the dash intact for the future. I've heard it can be a project to remove the latter stuff but if eventually done, I'd want to be able to have fresh air routed through the ducts in the dash.

Anyone have any thoughts about this partial removal idea?

Thanks,
Markus
'80 Targa
Old 07-03-2001, 03:13 PM
Mark Kiwior
Advanced

I’ve removed the entire A/C system on my ’86 911. This includes all hoses controls and hardware. I don’t now about performance, I’m sure it made some small difference, but working in the engine compartment now seems much easier with the compressor and all related components gone. The engine is very roomy now. This is a very tough job though. Removing the compressor and brackets is nothing, but when it comes to the lines be prepared for a tug-o-war battle royal. If I ever buy another 911 I'd do it again.

Old 07-03-2001, 07:37 PM
Clark Griswald
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I removed the compressor only from my '86 cab. I always have the top down and the air was never used.

It is not a purpose built race car, it goes to the track but does a lot of street duty and when I sell it the buyer will likely want the AC. So I removed the compressor only and left the rest intact.

The compressor and bracket saved a dissapointing 17 lbs. I am told if you pull everything including the lines, it saves 75 lbs. The good news is that that 17 pounds has a big impact because it is hanging way out the back and up high, in the worst possible place to be storing extra weight.

But as mentioned above it pays big dividends when working on the engine. Valve adjustments and plug changes are much easier.

here is a picture

-------------
Chuck Moreland '86 Cab - "Sparky", '77 Targa - "Sweet Pea"

[ 07-03-2001: Message edited by: Clark Griswald ]
Old 07-03-2001, 07:45 PM
DTFASTBEAR
Instructor

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I think I'll just remove the compressor for now.

One follow-up question: What do I have to do to bleed the AC system before I disconnect and remove the compressor? I don't want to poison or blind myself when I go to disconnect it and get a face full of freon

Chuck - are you running the GGR autocross in two weeks? Sounds like it is going to be a FAST course. Nice color matched fan, btw. Looks sweet.

Thanks again,

Dean
Old 07-04-2001, 09:21 PM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

Every AC station will unfill your system just tell them you will rebuild the system and refill it later.

Then remove the compressor and the rear condensor. Plug the open hoses with a small plastic bag. Try to keep the oil in the things and plug within a few secounds after you opend it.

ON the end you will have the compressor with one hose and condensor removed and also the compressor stand.

The other hoses are pluged and moved in the forward engine area where the shock brace sits.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: disconnecting/removing AC - noticeable difference?