Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Oil and leaks

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Steam Driver
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread's interesting to me. Since I can't run it as yet I have no way of checking the oil on my barnfind SC but there is something that I find odd. When I move the car (pushing obviously) there's always a spot of oil under it about the size of a silver dollar. But when we pushed the car out of the PO's garage there was hardly any oil under it, a lot less than you would expect considering the length of time it sat there. So the question is "how much oil is left in it?" I guess I'll find out eventually.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:53 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,111 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Steam Driver
This thread's interesting to me. Since I can't run it as yet I have no way of checking the oil on my barnfind SC but there is something that I find odd. When I move the car (pushing obviously) there's always a spot of oil under it about the size of a silver dollar. But when we pushed the car out of the PO's garage there was hardly any oil under it, a lot less than you would expect considering the length of time it sat there. So the question is "how much oil is left in it?" I guess I'll find out eventually.
There an old joke about that .. if a porsche isnt leaking oil .. its empty ...

but seriously your comment is not unusual . Cars that sit do this .. a lot of cars leak a bit of oil while storing and when driven seal up strangely enough .. i think when you drain the tank AND the crankase you will find a lot of oil in there ..
Old 11-08-2012, 10:24 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 115 Likes on 76 Posts

Most older P cars leak some....some more than others but normal. The way the case is assembled and the lower valve covers below horizontal etc.
As stated above, the longer they sit the more the seals contract.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:56 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 497 Posts

A lot of the oil leaks on my 911 were coming from the casing bolts and nut thread interface. To stop this I removed each nut,cleaned both the bolt threads and nut with brake cleaner and applied Wruth gasket sealer to the bolt threads. then retorqued to spec. This worked for me.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:13 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Spanky there may be something to that .... i wold swear that my gaskets were simply NOT leaking ,.. jet it always drips from the stud and nut on the cover. i have no idea how an aluminum washer compressed at such low torque is suppose to seal anything.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:07 PM
spanky
Rennlist Member

Received 714 Likes on 497 Posts

I would try this on the vavle cover nuts also if they are wet but everthing else shows dry.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:36 PM
MillenniumFalcon
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Reiver- thanks for the tip on the BP.

Guys, from what I can tell, the lower studs are the lowest part hanging off the covers, so that is where the oil collects.

I had thought for quite some time that my lower covers were leaking through the stud holes, but I just don't see how they can- I mean, the areas with the most sealing pressure are the areas right around the studs, and they are gasketed all the way around at the base of the stud hole in the cover- so why would it leak from there?? Unless I'm missing something.. If the aluminum washer were really there to seal the hole, then at the low torque value used on the nuts, a fiber washer would be the ticket, no?
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

The alum is designed to "crush" quite easily. The nylock nuts also do some sealing. This is why new nuts and washers are needed, any time the valve covers come off.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:29 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm with you guys on this,..and am facing the very same results. Over +6 years here, I've seen this discussed over and over again...this leakage on the last two VC posts on the bottom,....VERY COMMON...

Last engine drop, we had the valve covers sent to the machine shop to verify levelness,..however I still exhibit the same drop on the Passenger side forward V/C nuts,. WTF? The whole camshaft has been gone through, with the RSR (?) O-rings being installed along the way,..everything tight within the feet, rockers, etc.),..STILL I have this frikin leak drip at the VC stud......

NOTHING is coming in from "above",..engine is completely dry as to the triangle,....oil cooler recently had fresh O-rings installed so she's "quiet".....nothing there, for sure....WTF? Has anyone had luck changing out the damned VC stud? I've read MANY posts (from Pros, too) that the leak could not possibly be coming from within the VC stud/nylock arrangement.....that is: Not passing oil through the VC stud.....to the nylock.........might we revisit this?

I would note that I AM aware that there exists DIFFERENT washers that can be had for the VC's. And that THIS can make a difference,,,,

It's just STRIKING to me that these 2 areas (VC studs) seem to be the common place for the drip.....WTF?

I'm looking to get my VC's to a different machine shop to make sure the covers are dead on,.....what else could this leakage be related to, gents?

BEST!

Doyle
Old 11-09-2012, 08:21 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

yeah ive struggled with it for yeaars. yes its th elowest oint and any leak withh drip to there .. i just dont know .. always the same couple studs with drips..

Quick Reply: Oil and leaks