Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Researching 911s

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 09:12 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by masterdave
The Ferrari's are well Ferrari's, now I have never owned one but I have heard that the stories are true. When compared to the 911 they are going to be much harder to fix and harder to source parts for, but hey its a Ferrari that's the nature of the beast. As for the new GT I have seen them in person and they are awesome, flat out awesome but a whole different beast than the long hoods. All of the cars you listed will hold there value with in my opinion the exception of the GT. Although it will hold its value I think it is in a different league than the Ferrari's and Porsche's of days past. I say if you can, drive them all and see which one you like best.

Regards
Dave
Dream cars are just that, dream cars. Can't afford them, at least not the ones I grew up with.
So clarify what you mean about the Porsche of days past vs the GT. I am just wanting to pick your brain and experience, so I can build upon mine. Do you recommend another model other than the 911S?
Old 09-27-2012, 09:48 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I cannot see any car as an investment. I know many have shot up the last few years, but a nice meltdown in Europe with fallout in the US could change all of that. Having said that, there was a time a couple of year's ago, when cars looked a lot more tempting than what I was getting from my stock portfolio, let alone Calif RE. I was sorely tempted, at least for some diversification. I'd say, if you can afford it, and you love a car, cut a deal you're happy with-then enjoy it, and you can always hope for the best.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:41 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
I cannot see any car as an investment. I know many have shot up the last few years, but a nice meltdown in Europe with fallout in the US could change all of that. Having said that, there was a time a couple of year's ago, when cars looked a lot more tempting than what I was getting from my stock portfolio, let alone Calif RE. I was sorely tempted, at least for some diversification. I'd say, if you can afford it, and you love a car, cut a deal you're happy with-then enjoy it, and you can always hope for the best.
Thanks
Nice boat
Old 09-28-2012, 10:07 PM
masterdave
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

By Porsche's of days past im referring to any thing say pre 993. The Ford GT is in my opinion a new car as it was made in the past 10 years. I would consider it on the same level as a 996 or 997. In terms of pure speed and power the older 911's wont be able to compete with it. As ED has pointed out cars are a risky investment. Prices are all over the place and unpredictable. Unlike most things sports car prices are based on nothing more than people. There are few things that are pure luxuries like a 100K car. There are lots of options other than the 911S, there is the 911T and E. There are also the 911SC/Carrera era cars and one of my favorites the 911 Speedster.

Originally Posted by bcgreen
Dream cars are just that, dream cars. Can't afford them, at least not the ones I grew up with.
So clarify what you mean about the Porsche of days past vs the GT. I am just wanting to pick your brain and experience, so I can build upon mine. Do you recommend another model other than the 911S?
Old 09-29-2012, 08:10 AM
Lapkritis
Instructor

I'm taking the bait on that post.

Supply and demand .... people determine the price of everything.

There are an abundance of luxury items at $100k. You could spend the money on acreage in the boondocks. You could buy boat, an expensive painting, put in a wine cellar and fill it with rarities or start a wristwatch collection if that's what you're into... many options for investments that empirical evidence shows as appreciating. If you're here talking instead about vintage autos then chances are that once upon a time you caught a whiff of petrol and didn't turn your nose up to it. For me personally, I would diversify if I were at a point in my life where I were sitting on $100k of personal play money... probably half on the car, painting and nice watch. Just my $.02. In each case I would consult a professional expert prior to purchase (I'd avoid internet experts such as myself). Doing otherwise would be equal to putting your money in a neat little pile and lighting it.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:04 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Do you recommend another model other than the 911S?
Do you know about the '74-76 Carrera 2.7 model? These cars have been just about neck and neck in value with the 2.4 S models. The Carrera 2.7 is the first of the impact bumper cars so their styling in not as attractive as the long hood 911, but (IMHO) the engine more than makes up for this. The engine in the Carrera is the same as was used on the '73 Carrera RS. A good one that has been sorted out correctly is an absolute blast to drive.

The '74 model was delivered with the signature rear ducktail spoiler, unless it was originally ordered without it. The '76 Carrera 2.7 was a homologation special and only 113 coupes were made. These are actually an RS model. In the future these will be ones to own, but of course are hard to find.

I think you will hard pressed though to find what I would consider a good to great condition 2.4 S or Carrera 2.7 model for around $100K or less. That doesn't mean you should give up though. As you continue to learn more about these cars and shop around you may indeed prove me wrong. I hope so.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Originally Posted by masterdave
The Ford GT is in my opinion a new car as it was made in the past 10 years. I would consider it on the same level as a 996 or 997.
The collectible car market resoundingly disagrees with you. The Ford GT is one of the few modern supercars that began increasing in value within the first 10 yrs of production (another example is the Ferrari F40). There is no comparison to a 996 or 997. Maybe a better but still imperfect comparison in the Porsche world would be the Carrera GT.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:54 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Finding a well sorted 2.7....therein lies the rub.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:41 AM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Brian 96C2
Do you know about the '74-76 Carrera 2.7 model? These cars have been just about neck and neck in value with the 2.4 S models. The Carrera 2.7 is the first of the impact bumper cars so their styling in not as attractive as the long hood 911, but (IMHO) the engine more than makes up for this. The engine in the Carrera is the same as was used on the '73 Carrera RS. A good one that has been sorted out correctly is an absolute blast to drive.

The '74 model was delivered with the signature rear ducktail spoiler, unless it was originally ordered without it. The '76 Carrera 2.7 was a homologation special and only 113 coupes were made. These are actually an RS model. In the future these will be ones to own, but of course are hard to find.

I think you will hard pressed though to find what I would consider a good to great condition 2.4 S or Carrera 2.7 model for around $100K or less. That doesn't mean you should give up though. As you continue to learn more about these cars and shop around you may indeed prove me wrong. I hope so.
I will add the Carrera 2.7 to my list as I am looking. More choices, either way I hope I come up with something.
Thanks
Old 10-01-2012, 12:54 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,114 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
cars can certainly be investments ... but unfortunately 99.9 % of the time they are bad ones
Old 10-01-2012, 01:07 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I will add the Carrera 2.7 to my list as I am looking. More choices, either way I hope I come up with something.
Thanks
Don't forget, the '74-76 Carreras mentioned, with the 2.7 liter engine and MFI, were not imported into the US. The '74/75 models were also prone to rust issues after spending their early life in places like Germany. If you find one of these models, it must be presented with DOT and EPA certification papers; if it doesn't have them, the car may have been brought into the US under the radar and might prove to be difficult/impossible to register in states like CA. On the other hand, the 1974/75 USA Carreras are simply fitted with that year's 911S engine, and the '74 has a duck tail rear spoiler, and the '75 has F&R spoilers. Both models have rear flares similar to those on 911SC cars, and are fitted with wider rear wheels.

There was no "Carrera" for the US in '76/77, when the mighty 930, aka the "Turbo Carrera", appeared.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:43 PM
bcgreen
Pro

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
Don't forget, the '74-76 Carreras mentioned, with the 2.7 liter engine and MFI, were not imported into the US. The '74/75 models were also prone to rust issues after spending their early life in places like Germany. If you find one of these models, it must be presented with DOT and EPA certification papers; if it doesn't have them, the car may have been brought into the US under the radar and might prove to be difficult/impossible to register in states like CA. On the other hand, the 1974/75 USA Carreras are simply fitted with that year's 911S engine, and the '74 has a duck tail rear spoiler, and the '75 has F&R spoilers. Both models have rear flares similar to those on 911SC cars, and are fitted with wider rear wheels.

There was no "Carrera" for the US in '76/77, when the mighty 930, aka the "Turbo Carrera", appeared.
This is the info I got today, tell me what you think in light of what you've posted:

Among all the 911s, a few models have achieved elevated status and desirability. One of them is the early 2.7-liter Ducktail Carrera. A total of 528 US version Carreras were built in 1974.

These cars were derived from the 2.7 RS Touring and Lightweight cars from the previous year to be a limited run of high-performance USA market road cars. Additionally, the US spec Carreras were able to retain the beautiful 'Ducktail' rear spoiler from the 1973 RS cars which was unavailable in 1974 on the European version cars.

The 1974 models were unique in that they did not have thermal reactors and did not suffer from the excessive heat and related problems that the later 2.7 engines were known to have.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:46 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Most states that I know of have a 30 yr exemption so an MFI Carrera shouldn't be a big deal to get registered. There are certainly less of these cars in the States than a 2.4 S model now,but there are some to be found for sure.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:13 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This is the info I got today, tell me what you think in light of what you've posted:

Among all the 911s, a few models have achieved elevated status and desirability. One of them is the early 2.7-liter Ducktail Carrera. A total of 528 US version Carreras were built in 1974.

I've never seen a rust-free, high quality example of a Euro spec Carrera. That said, my entire career was in CA, where RoW models were almost impossible to certify/register. "Elevated status and desirability" is a very subjective statement - no comment!

These cars were derived from the 2.7 RS Touring and Lightweight cars from the previous year to be a limited run of high-performance USA market road cars. Additionally, the US spec Carreras were able to retain the beautiful 'Ducktail' rear spoiler from the 1973 RS cars which was unavailable in 1974 on the European version cars.

USA Carreras were fitted with CIS 911S model engines, which took a lot of magic away from the "Carrera" name. But not all of it, '74/75 USA Carreras have also become valuable. I'm not in the biz, so must decline to offer an opinion regarding prices.

The 1974 models were unique in that they did not have thermal reactors and did not suffer from the excessive heat and related problems that the later 2.7 engines were known to have.

Correct. USA '74 cars were still fitted with twin, early-style heat exchangers, but '75 USA/CA Carreras were the first to get thermal reactors. This is OK in CA, because 1975 cars are smog exempt in CA so the thermal reactors can be replaced with SSI heat exchangers, and their smog pump can also be removed.
1974/75 USA Carreras do not have the power or engine "music" of the Euro model Carreras with MFI, but are considerably smoother cars to drive.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:03 PM
Brian 96C2
Pro

Among all the 911s, a few models have achieved elevated status and desirability. One of them is the early 2.7-liter Ducktail Carrera. (Very true for the Carrera 2,7, not so much for the US Carreras.) A total of 528 US version Carreras were built in 1974.

These cars were derived from the 2.7 RS Touring and Lightweight cars from the previous year to be a limited run of high-performance USA market road cars. (Mostly a marketing based exaggeration for the US Carreras.) Additionally, the US spec Carreras were able to retain the beautiful 'Ducktail' rear spoiler from the 1973 RS cars which was unavailable in 1974 on the European version cars. (This statement is not true. German market Carrera 2,7 cars came without ducktails but they were delivered on many other Carreras in ROW markets.)

The US Carreras are significantly less collectible than the MFI models because as Pete states they lack the 'magic'. I have seen quite a few excellent examples of these cars, they are out there.

You can certain tell my bias, but hopefully you will have an opportunity to see and drive some of these various models and make up your own mind what to spend your money on.

Be sure to check the Early S forum for car events/shows in your area so you can see some of these cars for yourself and speak with the owners. Every week there is a fantastic Cars and Coffee in Irvine. Many classic Porsches show up for this event.

Quick Reply: Researching 911s