Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

73 911T Find Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2012, 01:38 AM
rjr0928
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 73 911T Find Help

Input please.. for the past 6 years i noticed as I drive out to a cell site this car. this week I stopped and visited with the owner. The car has 35000 miles on it and one owner the inside is an 9 due to some yellowish tint to the side headliner, the only defect as you can see from the pic is under the passenger headlight. car has been sitting for 14 years and ran fine when put in this shed. Long story why it was put here.

the owner did say selling is an option but I would like feed back on what i should offer. RJR
Attached Images    
Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,139 Likes on 814 Posts

wow quite the barn find .. the rule of thumb is offer no more than what you could part out the engine and transmission for but i have to specific idea about these early cars. If you are looking for a project though this looks like a great start.

I would offer 5 K but as i said i have no real idea.

Last edited by theiceman; 09-21-2012 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:39 PM
painter33
2nd Gear

Default Jeeezzzz

Buy it, wash it, drive it. Seriously, when was the last time it was on the road? Looks great, but with this car it appears the the mechanicals mean more than the body condition.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:16 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Not a '73. Rear grill, horn grills, sideview mirror and bumper overriders are all earlier. Get a vin. Doesn't look like a '72 because I can't see an oil filler. And it has S deco, which was a popular option on T's in '70 and '71. It is likely one of those 2 years. If so, it will have Zenith carbs on it.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:21 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

could it be a 69 ? i have heard these early ones are really going up in value
Old 09-21-2012, 01:27 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Here's a similar story for you.
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...11t-value.html
The car in question, which was found under very similar circumstances, sold to CA for $15k

What you should offer? The lowest price you think would not be insulting. I would actually ask the seller to start the conversation. See what they think it is worth. I recently passed on a turd of a '66 that the owner thought was a $15k car. The thing had been sitting for 14 years and had all kinds of issues the owner didn't know about until I laid expert eyes on it. I wouldn't have gone a cent of $7k. The '72 in the link above on the other hand was worth every penny of $15k. I would expect to pay $5-8K for the car you are looking at, but get it out in the daylight.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:39 PM
MUSSBERGER
uninformed gas bag
(contemplating on whether gas bag is one or two words)
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 125 Posts

The old..."it was running when we parked it there"

Parked on dirt in an open shed for fourteen years in Missouri doesn't bode well for the condition of the pan.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:07 PM
Lapkritis
Instructor

Originally Posted by MUSSBERGER
The old..."it was running when we parked it there"

Parked on dirt in an open shed for fourteen years in Missouri doesn't bode well for the condition of the pan.
x2 on condition of everything under the car. Even in a garage these cars will deteriorate in areas... unless you live in the desert where you have to worry about the rubber rotting off.
Old 09-21-2012, 11:16 PM
rjr0928
Instructor

The lady who owns the car didn't know much about it. She explained that her husband who passed away was in love with the car but after he passed it just sat. Her father who runs the farm with his son said they move it around as they store needles stuff. The place looks like an episode of hoards. She stated that she's never been in a rush to sell it as I stood there just wanting to make an offer and take it home. Like I noted it's been on my list for years but I also know how people are that just let cars sit. I responded with care due to being this stranger and a car enthusiast but I could also see I resurrected some emotions. She asked me to visit her again in the near future and make her an offer. I didn't want to seem to over enthusiast with photos but the inside of the car is dusty but little or no ware. I looked in the door jam but couldn't get the door all the way open due to the boat. I will be back at this location in a few weeks and see if I can snap few more photos. My plan is to make an offer in December because everyone needs Christmas money and no car should have to suffer like this one. THANK you all for the input on this journey.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:03 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 54 Posts

Too many unknowns to go over $5k in an offer. It ran, but how well? You could easily spend $2-3K on brakes, seals, etc, and find out there's a big issue with the motor. As noted, the underside would be a concern. Often, visible rust is the tip of the iceberg.
Old 09-24-2012, 01:51 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

When you say they move it around for hay storage, do they actually start and drive it or just push it.

And you definitely want to see the undercarriage. That's why I said get it out in the daylight, so that you can get under it and see what the pan and gas tank tray and battery boxes and rear torsion tube all look like. Could be $5-6k in just undercarriage sheet metal work from sitting on the dirt.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:24 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

i see a chitty chitty bang bang in the works .. but i may have just given away my age ...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:44 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Personally I want that old Honda motorcycle.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:32 AM
whalebird
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats what I was thinking^^^^^^

You can pretty much bet on there being a major problem. Brakes, fuel tank/lines come to mind, but you should expect trans/engine issues as well as rust and be pleasantly surprised if you don't find any as opposed to not expecting them and being mortified by the truth when you get it home.
engine/trans should be considered for core value until you drive the car, and the rest should be valued at it's weight in scrap metal until you get into every nook and know it's solid. $2500 would be my fair, uninsulting starting offer. It does not appear to be a 72/73...probably an earlier (901 trans) car or possibly a 70 with that wonky hydropneumatic front suspension.
Old 09-25-2012, 01:34 PM
John H
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

check the oil level. Judging by all the 5 quart jugs, it might be overfilled. I had a 66 that was stored from the mid seventies to the 90's when I bought it. Low miles (less than 40K) with a near perfect interior. Mechanically, it was bad. Brake and fuel lines were shot. Basically everything needed replaced that dealt with any type of fluid. I sold it and it went back to Germany for a full resto. I'd love to see it now.

Quick Reply: 73 911T Find Help