911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

BMW NEWS

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2001, 10:32 AM
George 911-V8
Pro

Location: The Swamp Lands of Louisiana, The Deep Dirty South 2 Miles From Pimp City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post BMW NEWS

DONOTBUYABMW
Old 06-28-2001, 12:54 PM
J-RAD
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs down

The creator of that web-site has WAY to much time on his hands! The guy should really talk to a therapist! I'm sure there's probably a similar site for every auto marque out there, including Porsche.
Old 06-28-2001, 02:14 PM
aquabat911
Instructor

I remember seeing a site a few years back saying what a horrible car the 944 was, and Porsche should not even be allowed to sell them. I guess anyone can build a bad car. It sounds like Bimmer realy does have a couple of problems with the new M3 though.

PS I think this guy needs a hug, and maybe a nice red Carrera
Old 06-28-2001, 05:19 PM
Chris Grivas
1st Gear

<lurk mode off>
I don't agree with the Web site owner's assessment of his vehicle's problems. First of all, his discourse on color and option choices is silly. He says his car is full of problems. Okay, so his DSC controller malfunctioned. Well, big deal. It was immediately fixed under warranty. While unfortunate, manufacturing defects do occur! I just feel this gentleman's expectations are perhaps too high.

BTW, I've been following this list for a few weeks now. I'm one of those who is considering buying their first Porsche. In my case, I'm primarily looking into the '69 to '73 model years (911). Feel free to inundate me with information.

Take care, all.
Chris Grivas
Chris' Pages
<lurk mode on>
Old 06-28-2001, 05:45 PM
Goat
Track Day

I went with a friend (who has been on the list for a year and a half) to look at the new M3, ande I gotta say, the stuff in this website really rings true. The electric blue combined with all the plastic really looks cheap and gaudy, we couldn't believe there was no spare tire, and the dealer's attitude was incredibly arrogant, especially with regards to pricing, which he guessed would end up being $6-10K over list (for the dealer's supposed "demo" model.) Needless to say, my friend walked away, feeling both dissed by the dealer and disillusioned with BMW in general. I suspect if I spent $60K on a car that had the same problems and lack of dealer compassion that the author of the website wrote about, I'd want to create a hostile site also, just to blow off steam if nothing else. Treating a customer badly will never, never help your business (unless you're talking some snob-appeal boutique in Manhatten, where the sales staff tries to shame a customer into buying something, to prove they're worthy of the store.) I'm sure BMW will turn it around, but it seems to be yet another example of the marketing & accounting departments screwing with the soul of a good company.... but it does make me feel awfully happy with my $17K car!
Old 06-28-2001, 09:46 PM
Mrdi
Advanced

73 1/2 perfect. See Zimmerman a #10
Old 06-29-2001, 06:42 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I love the opening comment. He is not trying to run BMW down,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: In the local German press, Porsche, BMW, Audi and Mercedes have been slammed for recent quality failures findings in the 2000 model year build models. Porsche got some heavy stick as did BMW and Audi. Mercedes were not so bad. One of the main things that Porsche got stick for was using the cheapest most unreliable parts they could find and charging the earth for spares.
Old 06-29-2001, 03:55 PM
Jdub
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mrdi is right. Get the CIS T model and you won't look back. I pine for one alongside my SC.

Jw
Old 06-29-2001, 09:28 PM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wink

Funny, a very active member of my PCA club is the owner (or partner) of a BMW dealership. He drives a Porsche . Now, I have witnessed the "premadonna" BMW dealerships that are mentioned above but his isn't like that. He has a great reputation for customer service and satisfaction (very unusual for a BMW dealership). I would be happy to recommend these guys. As for the BMW cars? He drives a Porsche.
Old 07-01-2001, 03:42 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Unhappy

Talking about BMW, I just got the latest autoweek and on one of the first pages was a preview of the upcoming 7-series. Sure it comes with even more of those unnecessary, unfixable when they break, gizmos. But what I could not believe, but expected actually, was how utterly ugly it is. Let me tell you, I never thought BMW could conceive such an ugly car. Every automaker lately has been trying hard to come up with the ugliest cars possible, but I thought BMW was the only automaker that was imune. I guess anything is possible when even Audi can take a perfectly renditioned A4 with almost unanimous styling approval, and screw it up with the not-so-pretty styling cues from the A6 sedan as in the upcoming A4. But then again, when looking at cars like the 7 series, 993, Mercedes 500sl, one gets a feeling that improvement in beauty is almost impossible to come by. Any big changes can only result in some beauty being lost. But who cares when designers have to get paid and buyers are trendy with nary a trace of good taste. Farewell beautiful cars and Hello ugly cars.

[ 07-01-2001: Message edited by: Ed Bighi ]

Quick Reply: BMW NEWS