Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Barn Story

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 11:19 PM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking Barn Story

I'm going to go look at a one owner 76S Targa that hasn't been driven in 15 years.
Is has 110,000 miles. Top end was done right before it was put to sleep. The car is turned on once a month. I'm told no leaks. But I find that hard to believe.
I has every record from birth.
The owner was a road salesmen, this was his 6th Porsche starting with a 356. Retired and never drove the car again. Other than to turn it over and drive down to have new batteries put in.
Original everything. Never wrecked. Covered in a garage all 15 years.

This would be the wifes car.
Your guys thoughts. Going to go look at it mid July.
TIA
Old 06-28-2001, 02:49 AM
pH
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good news if well stored there would be a 15 year savings on body rot. Bad news is that sitting that log is bad for things like engine seals. Start and stop creates condensation in the exhaust system and causes rot there. May require some engine work, if not now eventually. If in good shape and original might be worth... $6-7K? The 2.7s have a bad rep as you know for engine case, they finally worked it out but not until the SCs in 78.
Old 06-28-2001, 07:48 AM
Ed Bighi
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Old 06-28-2001, 11:10 AM
davis911s
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes 2.7s have a bad rep, but there are still lots of us out there with them. If you get the car at a great deal, then fix the potential 2.7 problems hell this would be great!

Good luck

Shawn

PS I just installed the pressure fed tensioners in my 77 this winter, the old ones lasted 23 years (but don't push it)
Old 06-28-2001, 11:52 AM
Cary E
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Talking

Who better than me to know about chain tensioners. My last 2.7 911S's right chain let go @ 100mph. That was 15 years ago, I can remember that sound to this day. And I'm still here. I love the marque.

After a complete PPI. Letting me know whats in store for the rest of the car. And I decide to buy it. Yes, in the $5-$6k range.

It would get RaceWare studs and Carrera chain tensioners and a complete B&B oil cooler system at a minimum. And a complete reseal. I HATE LEAKS & DRIPS.

This will be touring car for the wife and kids. With an occasional excerise/work out.

Thanks for all the input. Can't hurt to go and look. It is an old family friend.

Quick Reply: Barn Story