88 911 intermittently blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 10:04 AM
LongLiveThe3.2
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 88 911 intermittently blowing smoke

Hello all,

Here are my specs.- I have a 1988 911 Cab, diamond blue commemorative edition to be exact, 68k miles. 2k miles ago I adjusted the valves, new cap, rotor, Nology ignition wires, Bosch 4X platinum plugs, oxygen sensor, fuel filter, oil filter and switched to Mobil1 15W/50 oil (I'm not sure what oil was in it previously). Also, currently I am running a cat. bypass pipe.

My problem- sometimes the car blows smoke out the tailpipe, sometimes long after the motor is warm. Is it possible to have worn valve guides and have it only smoke sometimes? I'm hoping it's not the guides, especially with only 68k miles, but what could cause this intermittent problem? Is there a crank vacuum check valve somewhere that might be stuck? I'm also debating if the super-slick Mobil1 is just slipping past something and I might go to dino oil and see if that helps.

Anyone with the worn valve guide issue experience smoke sometimes and nothing other times?

Sorry this is so long- I'm just concerned about my PCar, especially because SPRING has just arrived here in Boston.

Thanks everyone & keep the shiny side up!
Old 03-18-2003, 10:57 AM
CN
Escapee
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey Dan, I have the same car (all original mind you) and 1989 model. I also have about the same mileage (107,000 km). I have the exact same problem and have found that it is reproducible. If my car is hot and sitting idle on a slight to steep angle to one side, it smokes like a Kuwaiti oil field. Once I start to drive and level the car out, it stops. I believe it is the guides but for the price of repair, I can buy a boat-load of oil. I use Castrol 20/50 and the Lucas additive has helped some. Hope this makes you feel better.
Old 03-19-2003, 12:26 AM
TL3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a 75 911S and after 180,000 miles or so it started to do something similar to what your describing, the trick to mine was that it only smoked periodically when not under power. A couple thousand miles later my #1 exaust valve went throught the piston, diagnosis was loose valve guides. while I had significantly more miles on my car the price on waiting might not be worth it. have it checked...somehow.
Tom

Quick Reply: 88 911 intermittently blowing smoke