Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Suspension project questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2003, 09:50 AM
gerry100
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Suspension project questions

Great to get the car( '86 3.2 cpe) out yesterdy after 3 months buried in the snow covered garage - but it must be a sign of spring that I've already started thinking about upgrades and costs of same.

- I've already got the Turbio tie rods and will most likely pay my wrench to install as he'd be getting it for an alignment right after anyhow.

- however I'd definitly like to reduce pitch and yaw and tighten up the feel during cornering and have a few questions for the board-

- PO replaced shocks/strut inserts w Boge(gas) at 65K ( at 91K now). Could these be ready to replace? They feel OK in the "bounce "test. If yes any recommendations? This looks like an easy DIY, is it?

- Torsion bars next- Seems like larger diameters are the way to go - What sizes recommended for a
fair weather driver/ Driver Ed car in the NE (some lumpy roads).? Is this a DIY? Is alignment required afterwards?

Inputs and opinions appreciated.
Old 03-18-2003, 12:44 PM
catuck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check out Bruce Anderson's book or the Pelican Parts tech. articles on recommended torsion bar sizes. Alignment is required for the rear as it is necessary to remove the spring plates. Alignment is not affected in the front. If bars are really stuck in place (as they may be after 17 years) they may require some encourgement. I had no trouble on the rears, but on the front I found it easiest to remove the wishbone from the car, remove the caps from the front of the torsion bar tubes, and pound them out with a big screwdriver. New caps are available at Pelican Parts.

On the rears, you will need to do some fine tuning as the rear bars are indexed for ride height adjustment and its nearly impossible to install new bars without re-indexing them.

It's not a terribly big job and I found it fun to do and very worth the trouble for DE and Autocross events.
Old 03-18-2003, 02:33 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts
Hi Gerry:

For a great suspension upgrade that will not ruin the ride quality of your Carrera, but truly transform the handling, I'd suggest (in addition to what you re already doing):

Sander Engineering 22mm & 28mm tubular torsion bars

Bilstein HD front and Sport rear shocks

TRG or Smart Racing adjustable swaybars, 22mm F & R should be about right

Any front strut tower brace you choose

This setup will eliminate the dive, squat, and roll that you have experienced and this package will permit you to set the understeer/oversteer balance of the car to your preferences and skills.

You will need to have the car cornerweighted and aligned after these items are installed.
Old 03-18-2003, 05:19 PM
Jim Florance
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree w/ Steve. One thing I did that I would suggest never be done. To save some money, I bought the front bar first. On my first outing to the track, I found myself washing out at nearly every turn, horrible understeer. What i did made the front so rigid that all the roll was absorbed by the rear axle. My son told me that my inside front tire was lifting as much as 6 inches off the pavement. needless to say, my lap times sucked. Problem was immediately remedied as soon as I put on the rear bar. Buy both bars at the same time!! I've taken Steve's advise to the letter w/the exception that I used sligntly larger diameter sway bars because I try to track my car at least once a month.

Quick Reply: Suspension project questions