Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Backdating a 3.2 Carrera

Old 09-06-2012, 10:50 PM
pcarhiway
Burning Brakes

Received 194 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Nicest 3.2 backdate that I have ever seen

Here is a nice example that started out as an 86 3.2 Carrera. Bumpers were removed, brand new early 911 front bulkhead was welded in for the hood latch. Steel fenders and hood from a 72 were installed. Getty fiberglass ducktail and bumpers. Was completed in 2010. Oslo Blue from 1962 along with Weidman RSR finish on the wheels.

The first picture is the car as it was originally, circa 2004.
Attached Images   
The following users liked this post:
Superdave312 (09-19-2020)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:23 PM
salukijac
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^^Damn, that 86 was a real nice car to begin with. But the backdate is flawless. I think I've seen that car...was that at the Concour's D'Elegance at Arapahoe CC?
Old 09-06-2012, 11:51 PM
pcarhiway
Burning Brakes

Default Yes, Concours at Arapahoe Community College

Both photos are at the Concours held in June, 2004 when the car was black and this year in its RS Tribute prime !
Old 09-07-2012, 12:58 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 114 Likes on 81 Posts

pcarhiway,
Correct me if I'm wrong but I've seen your car at Boulder Cars N Coffee?
Old 09-07-2012, 01:54 AM
pcarhiway
Burning Brakes

Default My car is the 911E in the background

GTgears,

My car is the Albert Blue 911 E in the background next to the red 944. I saw the beginning of this thread about backdating a 3.2 Carrera and just had to chime in about how well it can be done, eg. the osloblau RS Tribute.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:32 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by pcarhiway
GTgears,

My car is the Albert Blue 911 E in the background next to the red 944. I saw the beginning of this thread about backdating a 3.2 Carrera and just had to chime in about how well it can be done, eg. the osloblau RS Tribute.
Ok. I was confused because I thought the blue car belonged to Dave from Denver (aka porschenut), and a quick review of your history showed me your are up in Wyoming.

Just an FYI for folks, but the "new" car is a '67 912. I've decided to trade power for style. I missed owning a SWB car and found someone willing to trade cars with me. And at roughly 600lbs lighter than my Carrera, I think I'll make due. My first Porsche was a 914 and my last SWB car was a '68 911T, so I am well versed in the whole need to carry speed for them to go...
Old 09-07-2012, 10:15 PM
911Dave
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GTgears
Ok. I was confused because I thought the blue car belonged to Dave from Denver (aka porschenut), and a quick review of your history showed me your are up in Wyoming.
Yeah, that's me! I'm Porschenut over on Pelican. That was a very rewarding project (with its agonizing moments) and I'm very glad to have done it. It's with both joy and sadness that I will be passing the keys along to a new owner soon!

I'll still come to the C'n'C events, and would be glad to offer any advice/experience that I gained from the project. It sounds like you've got yourself a good donor car to do it with. You'll want an engine with more power though . My car ended up around 2350 lbs. and is very peppy with the stock 3.2 motor. And driving between Denver and SLC for the PCA parade, it got 38 mpg.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:14 AM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911
Zero regrets here, aside from what it cost to do it correctly.

Now:

Jack:

Could I please inquire as to what the range of that cost was to do it correctly?

Your car and Daves car above are absolutely great . And 2350 Lbs -

I am always thinking about a 930. But if I could have a 3.2 with a little extra muscle in it, some weight off of it, and this look , to go along with my 951.... well I can say there would not ever be a Cayman parked in my garage. Or anything else for that matter.

Last edited by TexasRider; 09-08-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: sp
Old 09-08-2012, 05:33 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by 911Dave
Yeah, that's me! I'm Porschenut over on Pelican. That was a very rewarding project (with its agonizing moments) and I'm very glad to have done it. It's with both joy and sadness that I will be passing the keys along to a new owner soon!

I'll still come to the C'n'C events, and would be glad to offer any advice/experience that I gained from the project. It sounds like you've got yourself a good donor car to do it with. You'll want an engine with more power though . My car ended up around 2350 lbs. and is very peppy with the stock 3.2 motor. And driving between Denver and SLC for the PCA parade, it got 38 mpg.
I'm more fickle than a high school girl. I am actually trading the '85 for the '67, so the backdate project is no longer a consideration. I figure that with a BRZ and a seriously hot rodded 2.5RS Impreza, along with a 914 project in the garage, I've got my go fast bases covered. I only started considering the backdate project because I had not been able to get out of the car easily to buy an actual longhood. Now that I've got this deal worked out to get a SWB car, even if it's only a 4 banger, my needs for some retro style have been covered. I honestly am not going to care that it's underpowered. It's truly going to be my Sunday cruiser and CnC car.

I will probably build some sort of 912R out of the new car. I can't help but tinker and modify all of them. I'll post a link over to the 912 forum for interested parties once I take delivery and start playing with it. Obviously one of the first things it will get is a proper close ratio 5spd gearbox with "traction control"...
Old 09-09-2012, 11:32 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
Jack:

Could I please inquire as to what the range of that cost was to do it correctly?

Your car and Daves car above are absolutely great . And 2350 Lbs -

I am always thinking about a 930. But if I could have a 3.2 with a little extra muscle in it, some weight off of it, and this look , to go along with my 951.... well I can say there would not ever be a Cayman parked in my garage. Or anything else for that matter.

The backdate was done on a pretty tight budget back in 2010 when my brother Don owned the car. I had purchased it in 2001, sold it to Don in 2006 and repurchased it in 2010 after the conversion was finished as his 'priorities changed', as they say...

Anyway, the total cost was in the $10-11K range and that was with he and I doing all the work except for having the 930 rear flares professionally seam welded. It took us over seven months to complete the project, working on it almost every day.

The front fenders were new take-off OEM 930 parts and were very pricey. The rear flares were new steel Dansk parts. The F&R bumpers were from TRE. The wheels started out as 16X7 Fuchs and were converted to 17's by TruDesign - $4K for the wheel conversion and new tires. I painted the car in my home workshop, the paint & materials cost (DuPont ChromaBase) was $1K. Every piece of rubber trim/weatherstrip and the sunroof seals were replaced with OEM Porsche parts - $1100 for that.

The ducktail spoiler, Recaro seats, RS door panels and carpet were already in place when the project began.

I would guess that if this work were done at a pro shop, you'd be looking at a $25K final bill, maybe more. There is a LOT of labor involved and you'll pay at least $10K for a nice glass-out refinish job alone.

Name:  DSCN3147-1-1.jpg
Views: 1472
Size:  85.8 KB

Last edited by jackb911; 09-09-2012 at 11:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2012, 03:46 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

^^^^^

Thank you Jack.

I am stuck in a Porsche time warp back in the 1980's. That style car, and color too, is the ONE for me . Or a 930. But I know the 930 is going to be more problems than one like yours. That is just a great Porsche !
Old 09-10-2012, 04:13 PM
BIG 928
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we sell a 'long short' bonnet, g model type short inner with long 73 style outer to avoid any metal work on the front lock panel. we also do long/long to fit 73 style with the original early lock panel

regards mark
Old 09-10-2012, 05:33 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

The backdate was done on a pretty tight budget back in 2010 when my brother Don owned the car. I had purchased it in 2001, sold it to Don in 2006 and repurchased it in 2010 after the conversion was finished as his 'priorities changed', as they say...

Anyway, the total cost was in the $10-11K range and that was with he and I doing all the work except for having the 930 rear flares professionally seam welded. It took us over seven months to complete the project, working on it almost every day.

The front fenders were new take-off OEM 930 parts and were very pricey. The rear flares were new steel Dansk parts. The F&R bumpers were from TRE. The wheels started out as 16X7 Fuchs and were converted to 17's by TruDesign - $4K for the wheel conversion and new tires. I painted the car in my home workshop, the paint & materials cost (DuPont ChromaBase) was $1K. Every piece of rubber trim/weatherstrip and the sunroof seals were replaced with OEM Porsche parts - $1100 for that.

The ducktail spoiler, Recaro seats, RS door panels and carpet were already in place when the project began.

I would guess that if this work were done at a pro shop, you'd be looking at a $25K final bill, maybe more. There is a LOT of labor involved and you'll pay at least $10K for a nice glass-out refinish job alone.

Can you share photos of the interior? Sorry for the hi-jack GTgears
Old 09-10-2012, 07:25 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Can you share photos of the interior? Sorry for the hi-jack GTgears
Here it is as of now, except I have since removed the radio and installed a factory delete plate. The blue color is darker in person.

In the next month or so I'm having the seats and door panels redone in a better quality leatherette, with blue/black houndstooth seat inserts and the radio grilles will be gone.

The seats are Recaro SE's that were originally black. The local shop that did the pictured upholstery work turned out not to be the greatest. This time it will be done properly. A long-time Porsche friend and I are swapping cars and I want it to be 100% for him.

Name:  DSCN0440.jpg
Views: 1460
Size:  40.5 KB
Old 09-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Here it is as of now, except I have since removed the radio and installed a factory delete plate. The blue color is darker in person.

In the next month or so I'm having the seats and door panels redone in a better quality leatherette, with blue/black houndstooth seat inserts and the radio grilles will be gone.

The seats are Recaro SE's that were originally black. The local shop that did the pictured upholstery work turned out not to be the greatest. This time it will be done properly. A long-time Porsche friend and I are swapping cars and I want it to be 100% for him.

Thank you. My '83 has the same interior color. It looks good now, but the changes you have planned for the seats are going to raise the wow factor significantly

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backdating a 3.2 Carrera