Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

The last shop in USA that doesn't take CC.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The last shop in USA that doesn't take CC.....

So, after installing new brakes, shocks, turbo tie rods, and a front strut brace, I managed to get the front end of my 911 boogered up enough that it needed at least a basic alignment. Only trouble is finding someone in or near Augusta that is even willing to work on it........

Firestone, where I bought my tires, has a beautiful new laser alignment machine, but the manager says it won't work on my car, because the software doesn't have cars that old in the database. Huh?

Mieneke? Ehh, I don't think so.

So, then I remembered this old indy alignment shop that has been around since the 1930s or so and I give them a call. Some cranky old lady answers and says they can do it and I have to make an appointment. I made one for 1430 yesterday.

Luckily it was only a mile or so from my house, as the car was darting all over the road. I get there, and there is a cardboard sign on the door that says that they don't take credit cards. Granny says they take checks. Back in the car, drive home to get checkbook. Back to alignment shop.

I swear, this place has not changed since the Stone Age. No lasers, no fancy machine, but they did have a stick. And a pit with huge metal beams that my little car was driven on. All they asked me was what it was doing. Not what I wanted. Never opened the frunk, even after I told them it had a strut tower brace. Never checked the camber or caster; I watched. Just adjusted the toe-in.

On the plus side, it only took 20 minutes and it was cheap. And it does drive normally now. Good enough to drive it somewhere to have it really checked?

Anybody used:

Franz Blam in Tucker, GA?
Autometrics in Charleston, SC?
Porsche dealers in Greenville, Hilton Head, or Columbia, SC?
Old 08-22-2012, 05:39 PM
GBoxguys
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can recommend Gordon at Autometrics, they are a top notch shop and should be able to assist you with your alignment, no problem.

I am sure that you will be pleased with the end result.

Erik Johnson
Old 08-22-2012, 11:10 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Franz Blam knows more about Porsche suspensions than the entire state of GA combined. Google his name, and his son Thomas Blam, you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Thanks. They are about equidistant from me, but Autometrics has the advantage of not being near Atlanta (shudder).
Old 08-25-2012, 12:27 PM
911Königin
Rennlist Member

Received 543 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by SiberianDVM
So, after installing new brakes, shocks, turbo tie rods, and a front strut brace, I managed to get the front end of my 911 boogered up enough that it needed at least a basic alignment. Only trouble is finding someone in or near Augusta that is even willing to work on it........

Firestone, where I bought my tires, has a beautiful new laser alignment machine, but the manager says it won't work on my car, because the software doesn't have cars that old in the database. Huh?

Mieneke? Ehh, I don't think so.

So, then I remembered this old indy alignment shop that has been around since the 1930s or so and I give them a call. Some cranky old lady answers and says they can do it and I have to make an appointment. I made one for 1430 yesterday.

Luckily it was only a mile or so from my house, as the car was darting all over the road. I get there, and there is a cardboard sign on the door that says that they don't take credit cards. Granny says they take checks. Back in the car, drive home to get checkbook. Back to alignment shop.

I swear, this place has not changed since the Stone Age. No lasers, no fancy machine, but they did have a stick. And a pit with huge metal beams that my little car was driven on. All they asked me was what it was doing. Not what I wanted. Never opened the frunk, even after I told them it had a strut tower brace. Never checked the camber or caster; I watched. Just adjusted the toe-in.

On the plus side, it only took 20 minutes and it was cheap. And it does drive normally now. Good enough to drive it somewhere to have it really checked?

Anybody used:

Franz Blam in Tucker, GA?
Autometrics in Charleston, SC?
Porsche dealers in Greenville, Hilton Head, or Columbia, SC?
You have me rollin' on the floor But honestly, some of the best mechanics know what is wrong just by listening Good Luck
Old 08-25-2012, 11:46 PM
dshepp806
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robert's Automotive in Bolingbroke GA,..they know they're stuff,..Serge De Le Bruyer will be installing a new steering rack, TT rods and H/W,..new bushings throughout the front,...4 wheel alignment and corner balance....in two more weeks,..she'll be loaded with fresh sneakers.....

Reasonable,..and very professional.

Best,

Doyle
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM
dgmark
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 49 Posts

There is a very good chance that the franchise store with there fancy new machine would do a worse job than the old coot with his tape measure. I have a $20.000 alignement machine and can reset it 3 times and get 6 different measurements. You defenitly need to take it to someone who knows Porsches. The new machines are great in a production invironment, very fast setup and simplicity,but are not the most accurate. All of the race cars I do are done manualy with turn plates and strings.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:08 AM
SiberianDVM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dgmark
There is a very good chance that the franchise store with there fancy new machine would do a worse job than the old coot with his tape measure. I have a $20.000 alignement machine and can reset it 3 times and get 6 different measurements. You defenitly need to take it to someone who knows Porsches. The new machines are great in a production invironment, very fast setup and simplicity,but are not the most accurate. All of the race cars I do are done manualy with turn plates and strings.
Honest to God, it wasn't even a tape measure, it was a stick. But he did do a good job, at least on the toe. I took her out for a spirit run today, after finishing the install of her tail and windshield banner. Smooth as silk.

I'm not sure if it was the windshield banner, but 3 lane hogs actually moved over into the slow lane without me having to flash! I couldn't believe it; that hasn't happened to me in years.

I do plan on eventually having a full corner balance & alignment. Unfortunately, I just balanced my checkbook and Porsche ownership has officially busted the bank. I'm broke for a couple of months.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:49 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

We typically don't endorse a shop but....Both Blam and Autometrics are exceptional. Autometrics are experts in everything from street to Grand Am, and they are on the "Good Guys" list.
Old 08-27-2012, 03:51 PM
chartersb
Racer

Received 68 Likes on 35 Posts

A third choice, if you are near Road Atlanta is Chris Smith Racing. Also exceptional and also a "Good Guy"

Quick Reply: The last shop in USA that doesn't take CC.....