Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Do I need a bump steer kit????

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

I really didn't get much improvement with the spacers. I had to modify my struts to truly dial out the bump steer. I was crazy low at one point, but that wa even after I raised it back up. Also did some work to allow more negative camber, as I could get much more than -1 deg on one side. Each of these beasts are a little different.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM
Droops83
Three Wheelin'

Received 76 Likes on 64 Posts

I agree with Ed that each case is different. Whether you need the spacers or not depends on exactly how low you go. We have installed the spacers on most of the cars that we have lowered to Euro ride height and slightly beyond with good results. If you are lowering well beyond Euro specs, raised spindles and/or bump steer adjustable tie rod ends are the way to go.

I would also suggest checking the ride height using the factory hard points due to possible differences in fender installation side to side. These are old cars by now, and many of them have "history." We also see this when attempting to align 911s; sometimes the same camber adjustment cannot be achieved side to side due to past accidents or bodywork, especially in the front due to the fact that the strut top position in the fender determines camber angle.

I would check the tie rod angle as Steve W suggests, but I will also ask, does the front end feel like it has more bump steer after lowering? All 911s have a fair amount of feedback through the steering, but if the steering wheel moves violently through bumpy turns, that is bump steer. The only way to truly measure bump steer is to use a specialized gauge that measures toe change while moving the suspension through its travel, but the tie rod being parallel with the control arm is a good basic rule of thumb for a McPherson strut type suspension with only a lower control arm as on a 911.

Quick Reply: Do I need a bump steer kit????