Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Over Charging 87 Carerra

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 08:45 PM
AirCoolBill
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have completed the disassembly with no surprises. It is a Paris Rhone unit and was a little difficult separating the assembly so it is likely the original component. I am going to order a new replacement and hopefully won't have to revise this issue in my life time.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:47 PM
tbanasiak
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AirCoolBill
I have completed the disassembly with no surprises. It is a Paris Rhone unit and was a little difficult separating the assembly so it is likely the original component. I am going to order a new replacement and hopefully won't have to revise this issue in my life time.
Good deal, same VR as mine was. I ordered one from porsche dealership here but it wasn't a Paris Rhone brand that came. Forget which brand it was off top of my head but it's documented in my book. Should get ya back in business!
Old 08-11-2012, 02:52 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AirCoolBill
Apparently there is no way to know which product is in the car. It appears that it is likely the Paris Rhone. Was Bosch an OE supplier or an aftermarket replacement? Do the remanufactured units have a poor history?
Just because the alternator is in your Porsche, there's no "magic" to it. Pull it and take it to a reputable local foreign alternator rebuilder. I had mine rebuilt for $75, and have been very happy with it.

There's no need to spend big bucks on a dealer reman unit. If the local rebuilder does his job right, you'll be fine.

My $.02.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:21 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by scottb
Just because the alternator is in your Porsche, there's no "magic" to it. Pull it and take it to a reputable local foreign alternator rebuilder. I had mine rebuilt for $75, and have been very happy with it.

There's no need to spend big bucks on a dealer reman unit. If the local rebuilder does his job right, you'll be fine.

My $.02.
Therin lies the rub. I rebuilt Ruby's at a shop that everyone in DFW PCA used, and it lasted 2 years. $120 blown. The $279 for the Bosch reman, was worth it to me.
Old 08-11-2012, 03:36 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Therin lies the rub. I rebuilt Ruby's at a shop that everyone in DFW PCA used, and it lasted 2 years. $120 blown. The $279 for the Bosch reman, was worth it to me.
Any rebuilt alternator can fail - whether from a shop or the factory. The odds are that if a good shop does the work, it will be fine. You clearly got a bad overhaul, and that's unfortunate.
Old 08-11-2012, 04:28 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by scottb
Any rebuilt alternator can fail - whether from a shop or the factory. The odds are that if a good shop does the work, it will be fine. You clearly got a bad overhaul, and that's unfortunate.
And, IMO, that is a greater risk these days as skills at rebuilding things get poorer, in general. Shrapnel from a disposable society.
Old 08-16-2012, 04:39 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 124 Posts

If you decide to replace the voltage regulator, be sure and bench test it first. Sometimes they are bad out of the box and can ultimately overcharge the battery and do all sorts of bad things!
Old 08-16-2012, 06:16 PM
scottb
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
If I were pulling the alt, I'd either buy a new one, or a Bosch reman. I've not heard of anyone simply replacing the VR.
One man's saga with a bad Bosch reman alternator:

Bad Remanufactured Bosch Alternator Saga

I think the moral to the story is that on any given day, any shop can turn out a bad rebuilt alternator. My local shop did a good job for me. Bosch did a bad job (more than once) for Mark, as he describes in that story.

Quick Reply: Over Charging 87 Carerra