Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Ultra Deluxe Space Saving One-Man Engine Stand

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 06:57 PM
spectre6000
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Deluxe Space Saving One-Man Engine Stand

Prototype phase 1 complete. The photos were taken while it was still *****in' hot from welding. I'm not done, there are some additions still in the engineering phase, but here we are thus far:

The goal, an atelier for VW/Porsche engine building that folds up to fit in a garage with everything else that typically occupies garages with a lift so that you don't have to pick up 200+ pound fully loaded engines and don't need to buy beer or upset significant others every time you do AND must work with a standard issue floor jack (no center leg).

Standard formation in use, lift down:

Standard formation in use, lift up:

Crank mount for Type 1, 36hp, and TIV (would need to get a hold of some other cranks/gland nuts to provide mounts for them):

Storage formation:

Storage formation from the back:

Also has all locking swivel casters so I can move it wherever I need it and not have to chase it down once I get it there. It will be powder coated, top quality components, etc. I still have a few features to add, and will definitely consider suggestions for additional features at this point.

I know cost is an obvious consideration. All effort will be made to keep cost to a minimum but NOT in exchange for quality or functionality. This will be a premium stand, not the EMPI crap or Harbor Freight nonsense (note: HF parts and pieces were used for the proof of concept model, but high quality parts will be sourced for actual production), so don't expect that sort of price. I'm anticipating a basic model with the stand/lift only, and a deluxe model that will have crank mounts, an oil pan, tool tray, etc. I won't know the final cost until I have spent time locating parts and fabrication services.

I am considering taking this stand to full production. Before I spend too much time or money tracking down fabrication shops, materials, or tooling, I want to see if it's worth it (I can't afford to dump a bunch of money into a hole). After this preliminary survey, I'll do the first run using Indiegogo.com to get preorders and will sell the first round at a discounted rate. That way there's none of the common scenario where a million people say they want to buy something, then no one steps up to the plate once they're built.

If successful and there is continued demand, I intend to use the proceeds to create and develop a business to design and manufacture some baddass VW/Porsche tools including a portable/collapsible car lift that I'm currently working on in the same spirit as the stand that will make dropping engines as easy as getting them on the stand and working on them.

The target market would be the German air cooled automotive enthusiast (VW or Porsche) who enjoys having the right tool for the job and is willing to spend a little extra on quality tools and parts. With access to a few other engines to mock up lifts/mounts it could be adapted to other cars (though obviously most applicable to those that don't require a crane lift for engine removal). It's not for the EMPI user, the Harbor Freight regular, or the garage sailor. It enables the enthusiast to be self-sufficient in an age when the few air cooled shops that remain are closing their doors one by one and few people know or care how to turn a wrench to properly maintain an automobile. This combined with the car lift I have planned will enable these individuals to essentially have their own fully functional shop without significant compromise, while still being able to keep two cars in their two car garage.

Prior to selling my bus a few months ago, when I would do any work on the engine (just about anything more than valves and oil), I preferred to remove it (like they used to at the dealerships) so I could have full unhindered access and line of sight to everything I needed. It took me all of 15 minutes solo in my driveway and with some jazz playing on the radio was a very fun and relaxing experience. It always ceased being fun and relaxing when I was trying to work on my engine balanced on my jack or jack stands. Once I got this stand built, I was looking for any and every excuse to modify my engine. This was my daily driver, so I couldn't afford to mess up or have any unplanned downtime.

The basic stand (stand and lift only, not the extras like crank mounts, tool trays, oil pans, etc.) will likely be able to come in under the $200 mark. The deluxe stand will probably come in under $300. These are very loose ballpark estimates, and subject to change.

In addition to the engine stand, to raise additional funds to make the idea of reality I also do some graphic design and have a few pretty awesome VW/Porsche themed t-shirts (more to come including bus, 356, and 911/912 themed shirts):
A groovy engine graphic I did for my car club T-shirts

A design study in the generational changes in the Karmann Ghia across years and markets

I'm trying to gauge interest, so let me know what you think.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:31 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

First off welcome to Rennlist.

That is a very nice blue 928 you have there.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:34 PM
spectre6000
3rd Gear

It's a speed demon!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:44 PM
Amber Gramps
Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spectre6000
It's a speed demon!
I love the stand idea. Just remember that before you try to sell it you better at least pay for membership. .....then send me the first one.

My 911 is parked inside a shed that is only 18" longer and 30" wider than she is. Your stand, while I don't have room for it, has the potential to save lots of guys lots of headaches.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:40 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I note above you mention working with "200 lbs." Which 911 engines have you been wrestling with? A basic carb'd mag case 2.0L without muffler or flywheel still weighs more than that. Get to the 3.6L and 930 engines, and you're pushing 400 lbs.

I applaud what you're getting at here; just cautioning you that if you haven't worked around some of the "big boys" fully complete, you'll be severely limiting your market.
Old 07-25-2012, 09:07 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 97 Posts

I'll second Ken's comments. I have my fully-assembled 1979 930 motor on my Mainley By Design stand right now, and while I haven't weighed it just yet, I'll wager it's in the 450 pound range. Great idea and one I would use in a heart beat since I have to drag my engine hoist out to get the engine UP on the engine stand. Keep the ideas coming on this. I do believe it has potential. Make sure you can handle the factory five arm engine mount.

And to give you an idea of how crazy air-cooled people can be, I have all the factory tools for engine building (including TWO COMPLETE SETS of MFI Adjustment Calipers). I saw the Zalex Industries engine run-in stand on PP and bought it too. Works great except for some clearance/interference issues with the european racing headers. I did the run-in on my brand-new MFI motor on that stand and it was worth every penny. Found a few leaks easily and repaired them quick - THEN put the engine back up in the car. Piece of cake.

Keep up the great work. When you finalize, run it by the Early 911S boys, the R Gruppe boys and the Engine Building folks on PP. You will find a ready audience.

Toby
Old 07-26-2012, 12:38 PM
spectre6000
3rd Gear

That's a good point. I've tested it with a Type 1, 36hp, Type IV, and a later 356 engine (practically same as a Type 1 weight-wise but I had one to test), but haven't had access to anything larger to play with. It worked beautifully without any hesitation to that point, and I feel it would continue without a sweat up to the 300 pounds that I estimated a 6 cylinder air cooled engine to come in at (I only have experience with the very old stuff ), but again, I've not been able to test beyond that. I'm pretty confident it'll handle that and more, but it never hurts to test. Anyone in the Denver area care to give it a go? Might be good to get a testimonial to boot.

I would also like to get a hold of a later crankshaft and gland nut if possible to make sure the crank assembly mount works for the later Porsche folks.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:35 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

That is a great idea-adding the lift mechanism, if it can handle the proper weight. It needs to be easily removable or clears the yoke, as the engines get pretty damned wide when you flip them during the build process.

Quick Reply: Ultra Deluxe Space Saving One-Man Engine Stand