Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

87 clutch cross shaft update

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 10:16 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post 87 clutch cross shaft update

my 87 911 has 77500 miles and i can,t tell if the porsche recommended clutch cross shaft
update has been performed. can anyone tell from an external visual inspection and if not
what are the symtoms of it failing.
Old 06-26-2001, 11:42 AM
KLehmann
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

I'd guess your car has the original shaft setup since the update was not factory installed until April 89. It's kinda hard to tell by visual inspection while the motor/trans. is in the car. The inspection hole in the trans. bellhousing is hard to see into, as it is on the upper left side of the bell. If you have the drivetrain out, you can tell if the cross shaft has been updated without separating the motor and trans. (you MUST remove the shaft in order to separate the engine and trans). If you remove the M6 bolt which holds the cross shaft retaining tab in place, you should be able remove the tab and see a plastic cap. If you can't remove the tab, then you have the original shaft which should have the tab welded onto the cross shaft itself and no plastic cap below the tab.

The 911 Parts and Technical Reference Catalog for 74-89 models (Dec. 1995) has a tech. bulletin #4 which details the update procedure. Over the winter, I installed the updated cross shaft, new needle bearings and all the necessary hardware along with the required updated release fork, clutch release bearing, pressure plate, flywheel and a 75-77 930 turbo clutch disc.

A sign that you might need to update the shaft is an increase in pedal effort. But, that situation could also be a failing release bearing. The only symptom my car had (63K mi.) was a clunking sound just as the pedal was fully released. I assume that was the slave cylinder rod sticking in the release fork.

Hope that helps.

[ 06-26-2001: Message edited by: KLehmann ]
Old 07-07-2001, 02:33 PM
87slant-nose-cabriolet
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kevin
please forgive me for being rude and not
thanking you for your reply. i,m still undecided about it needing the fix at this
time. i recently changed the transaxel fluid
for the second time to redline 75-90 ns.
the first time i used redline 75-90 and didn,t notice much improvement, then discovered i used the wrong one and changed it again with much better results. warning!!
warning!!! don,t use the regular redline 75-90 in a g-50, even if you have postrac. the stuff to use is the 75-90ns. take alook
at my car on the photo board you might like it.

Quick Reply: 87 clutch cross shaft update