Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Trouble starting after 4 months of sitting...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2002, 11:40 PM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Trouble starting after 4 months of sitting...

Hi Guys,

Thanks again to all those who replied to my master cylinder question. The brake rebuild has come after a long line of much needed maintanence on a car I bought back in October last year.

Though I am having a problem after a bunch of work that has been done. I will give you a brief background which might help identify the problem. I had a PPI done on the car and we needed to replace the shocks, rebuild the brakes (and master cylinder , new rear seal, new clutch and flywheel, new bearings and a few other things like a new thermostat. The cars body and exterior were in excellent condition.

The engine, a 3.0 litre Carrera had been rebuilt and placed in 13,000 km previously and the same with the transmission.

I knew a bit about cars but decided I wanted to learn as much as I could about the car so I decided to undertake most of the work about myself with the help of a friend who is a mechanic.

When I bought the car, I left her sitting for a week and it would take a bit to start, maybe 2 minutes of trying and she would fire up (a small amount of smoke but that would dissapear). At one point the car was left for about 3 weeks and required about 5 minutes of trying before she started up.

At one point the battery died and I recharged the battery, put it back in and then fired up the car every day or drove for about 20 minutes and never had a problem starting if it was done reguarly.

Now we have completed the work, the car has sat for 5 months without being started and I am having trouble starting it. The CD box is working fine, there is spark (the original plugs were fuel fouled). My mechanic leaned the mixture out slightly as he said that it was running rich originally and that made it a: harder to start and b: caused the fuel fouling of the spark plugs.

We have gone over and checked the fuel lines and made sure that everything is attached. Nothing seems to be out of order. There is spark to the spark plugs.

It seems like the engine is not getting fuel. How do I go about checking that there is fuel reaching the right area's and what could be narrowed downto , or, is it something that we just need to keep cranking it over till it starts.
Old 05-01-2002, 10:52 AM
GB83SC
AutoX

When you replaced your clutch did you replace the starter ring back on?
In other words is the car turning over with the starter?
Is there a plug in the back near the fire wall you forgot?
GB83SC
Old 05-01-2002, 05:44 PM
Laurent
Intermediate

The best thing to do if you suspect your CIS injection (I suppose) is giving you grief, would be to put some gauges around there and see what the fuel pressures look like...

But sometimes it's better to think small. Did you try to bleed your system? (Ignition on /don't crank, and lift the air flow plate behind your air filter until you hear the injectors scream eeeeeeeeeeeee)-try to start.

To check if fuel is getting there, other than by hearing it like I mentionned, you could pull out an injector (or all of them) to see if it sprays. Use a glass jar to collect the fuel. Look at the spray pattern while you're at it.

I also noticed that after a while in storage, the spark plugs foul up. Remove and clean then before starting. I also have experienced had starts because - I suspect - a bit of oil leaks in the cylinders. This is what dirties the plugs and it explains the blue smoke you see when you first start it up.

Good luck
Old 05-01-2002, 07:28 PM
Dana Drury
Intermediate

Thanks for the tips. The spark plugs are brand new and were put in about 2 weeks ago while the engine was out. The starter is cranking over because I can see the fan and fan belt cranking over.

I will have a look and see if the CIS system is giving grief in the way you guys explained. I thought there might be a trick, something like building fuel pressure or something along those lines before starting the beast or it would be hard to start.

Thanks again for the help. Will keep you all posted.

Quick Reply: Trouble starting after 4 months of sitting...