Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

'78 targa deal fell through

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 02:28 AM
pH
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's something else you're going to find when shopping for a Porsche, seller's remorse. This is when you call on a car and the owner says sorry I decided not to sell it. It's happened to me 3 times looking for a Porsche but never for any other car and that included long searches for M/B 280SLs, etc. Find a sound one, older owner, well maintained not tracked if possible. I wouldn't worry about relatively high miles (100K)if well maintained, stock, original. If you want the saem thing in low miles be prepared to pay.
Old 06-27-2001, 05:47 PM
sander
8th Gear

Sorry to hear it fell through... You just have to imagine that the car you'll end up buying is twice as good for less money and you'll look back on this as a blessing in disguise.

I guess it's true that the seller didn't legally have any obligation to wait for you. When I bought my '71 last March, I did my own inspection and test drive and then gave the seller a really small amount of money as a down payment. By doing so, he agreed not to sell it until I'd made a decision. If I took the car, it would go toward the purchase price. If I didn't buy the car, the seller would keep it in exchange for putting all the other interested parties on hold while I made up my mind and got the PPI. Worked out pretty well...

I don't know if this is standard operating procedure out there, but if you've got a good "gut feeling" about a car, I think a small downpayment is fair trade for some peace of mind while you make your decision.

[ 06-27-2001: Message edited by: sander ]
Old 06-28-2001, 01:26 PM
bk3104
3rd Gear

FWIW, not sure what you are looking for, but I've got an '87 Targa for sale for $17,900. I'm in Massachusetts and don't know how that relates to where you are.

I've been on the other end of things when I've sold some my previous cars and have had buyers verbally commit over the phone that "Yes, I do want the car and will buy it." , only to never come through. It's frustrating on both ends for sure.
Old 06-29-2001, 01:39 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Thumbs up

I was all over the first porsche I found for sale, 71 with rsr body and a 2.5 slide valve injected motor. I wanted that car sooo bad. It was sold out from under me and I was bummed.

I got sooo lucky, after a few more months of looking, and educating myself on the 911, I found a really cherry car for far less, and found the previous car in the shop during my PPI with a handgrenaded engine.

I've got a real clean 84 carrera targa up for sale over on the rennlist classifieds, I'm asking $17,200, but lets talk. Good luck on the search.

[ 06-29-2001: Message edited by: J richard ]
Old 06-29-2001, 01:57 AM
Phil
Phlat Black Guru
Rennlist
Lifetime Member
- Times 2

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am sorry to hear about your lose, but please remember.....when A car is listed for sale......its for SALE!!.if it checks out..the first in line wins...but never fear...the older p cars....are great, and YOU will find another!!!!

Quick Reply: '78 targa deal fell through