Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

1972 911S Valuation

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 06:42 PM
kkoven
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1972 911S Valuation

I am restoring a 1972 911S and am trying to determine the value of the car. I have been reading many articles in excellence and they appear to low ball the values of these cars. I have acid dipped the shell, have Webber 46's and the car has steel carerra 9 inch flares. The car has polished Fuches, 7x15 front and 9x15 rear. The car is a documented one owner european car with only 20,000 miles. The engine has been completely rebuilt as well as the transmission. Dash has been replaced. I know this is hard to do without pictures but does anyone have a rough idea of when these cars are worth? Your assistence would be appreciated.
Old 04-29-2002, 07:52 PM
JackOlsen
Race Car

Received 62 Likes on 48 Posts
It would be easier to name a specific value if you had restored the car to strictly stock condition. With the modifications this one has, you get into a category where it could be worth very little or quite a bit. It's low mileage is worth less than it might be if the car were unrestored, in excellent shape, and bone stock. As it is, you need to find a buyer who's looking for exactly what you've put together.

The one certainty is that it won't be worth as much as you've put into it, assuming you're doing a first-class restoration. S values are pretty strong, but it's still a game you have to play for the fun of it (rather than profit).

My guess would be a range of between 13 and 23K, based on the condition of the car, and the quality of the work you've done (or had done) to it. It could be lower than that, and it could be higher.

Your description begs a lot of questioins, though. Is it the original motor? Is it the original color? Does the car have any kind of significant history? Why did the engine need to be rebuilt (and converted to carbs) if it only had 20,000 miles on it? Also, why did it need to be repainted and have the dash replaced after so little use?
Old 05-01-2002, 01:51 PM
pwd72s
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good questions all. I still have the '72S that I bought in 1974. (See June '95 EXCELLENCE..article "Early S is special", My car one of the 2 featured.) At 48,000 miles still original paint, original everything. I did add 7" fuchs, H-1's, beefed the suspension, but otherwise pretty original. I've had serious offers for some serious sums, but heck..anybody can have a new Boxter, right? The WHY my car is still so original? Back in the 70's, I couldn't afford to do all the tricks the hotshoes were doing...flares, engines out to 2.7 & beyond, etc. I'd have probably chopped the hell out of the car if I had the $$$. But really, when you're talking price on early S's? Condition, condition, condition! And yes, I think Bruce Anderson is lowballing these cars. A definition thing, though. Maybe he & I look for different things in an "excellent" car? I'll admit to being pretty fussy.
Old 05-04-2002, 06:10 AM
Roland Kunz
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello

The problem is to find the right buyer.

In germany you can find right buyers for very accurate restored or very low mile untouched cars in the 50 000+ $ area ( Condition 2 or 2+). For a car in as new condition ( a1 ) you get the same money like for a new 996 ( However to achive this you spent money for a 996 GT2 )

Unfortunatly those people will never tell Bruce or the Tax about those deals.

From my sight it will be very hard to find a buyer for such a car. Only way to go is to restore the car into factory original condition or roll up the history to the last detail.

The value from the add on parts depend on how good was the workmanship quality and who did it.

Grüsse

Quick Reply: 1972 911S Valuation