Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

My Engine Hatch Doesn't Pop Open. Which Part Do I Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Engine Hatch Doesn't Pop Open. Which Part Do I Replace?

Hello hello!

On the track of the many little items I've been chasing down on my SC, I have come to the point of getting really annoyed at looking like an idiot every time I have to open the engine hatch. Basically, the latches work, but when I pull the popper the hatch doesn't pop up so you can't walk around the back and open it up... You have to pull the popper, plus try to lift the massive whale tail at the same time. Its pretty interesting!

So, how do I fix this? I imagine its a spring somewhere, but the upper latch's is still "springy". The lower latch looks at little robbed... any ideas?

Heres pictures!
Attached Images   

Last edited by Ds1; 06-28-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:37 PM
Ds1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh boy, the pictures are massive... let me re-try that.
Old 06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just clean and grease the upper and lower latches, and make sure that the cable is adjusted so that there is no slack. The upper latch should enter the lower catch slightly off-center. When you rotate the upper latch you'll notice that the bolt is not straight. If you do adjust the latch so that it's centered in the lower hole, then the lid won't pop open. Also, make sure that the gas struts are strong enough to support the engine lid and that the lid is not stuck somewhere.
Old 06-29-2012, 07:43 AM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,177 Likes on 844 Posts

If I remember correctly you have the wrong tail on that car. Just make sure you have the right shocks for it. Also make sure you have the rubber grommet in place where the pull lever comes through the body.
Also have someone pull on the cable while you watch the latch. Make sure everything opens as it should as Rusnak suggests

Quick Reply: My Engine Hatch Doesn't Pop Open. Which Part Do I Replace?