Notices
911 Forum 1964-1989
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

New to Porsche.Just bought a 77 911 Coupe.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 01:32 AM
detailjohn
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow that's a smoking good deal. Looks like a 3.0 with the orange engine cover.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:56 AM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by detailjohn
Wow that's a smoking good deal. Looks like a 3.0 with the orange engine cover.
Is the orange engine cover of any significance? When I clean up/paint the motor/engine bay, I'd like to keep anything original if it is anything out of the ordinary.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Not a bad find for under $7K. Someone put SC flares and a Turbo tail on it. Like the color. Looks like a greenish/silver and looks factory. Where in Virginia did it come from?
Old 07-07-2012, 04:30 PM
theiceman
Team Owner

Received 1,024 Likes on 728 Posts

Usually the engine cover is a quick reference to engine size on early cars

The orange is usually three liter
Old 07-07-2012, 05:38 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

hell, that's not cheap...that's fabricating...
Old 07-07-2012, 07:08 PM
JABSEA
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's a VIN decoder site:

http://www.renntech.org/images/vin_d...INDecoder.html
Old 07-08-2012, 12:46 AM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Not a bad find for under $7K. Someone put SC flares and a Turbo tail on it. Like the color. Looks like a greenish/silver and looks factory. Where in Virginia did it come from?
Thanks, It was purchased from the dealer I used to work for/ still work with here in Virginia Beach. The previous owner lived in Norfolk and brought it to my store as a consignment deal.

You think someone spent the money and effort to put wider rear flares on the car? Would this model year not have come with the wider fenders originally?

For those into the fabricating stories, there will be more. Here's a post I've copied from over at Pelican:

So I removed my tail the other day to remedy my rusted rubber lip problem. After deciding that there was more involved than I felt like doing that day, I put the tail back on sans the lip and came back to the rubber today.

Sorry, these pictures were taken in a garage with partially opened doors. Glare galore!

Here's what I found when I removed the rubber lip:

I found that the metal bracket with the studs that hold the lip to the tail had some serious rust problems.

Taking a page from the book of another member on the forums, I ripped out the bracket- rusted and in-tact sections.

So since I was supposed to be running errands today, and not working on the car, I left the rubber gutted at my parents house until I can think of a way to refill the excommunicated rubber channel.

Unlike the other thread where the guy replaced the removed rubber, I won't be reusing it. I'd considered silicone caulk to fill in channel and re-form the indentation that fits over the tail. However, I think silicone will lack the strength this application needs. I've also considered driveway crack filler, as it's tougher, but I'm reluctant to stoop to using too many home improvement materials on the Porsche. Next thing you know, I'll be using garden edging for home-made aerodynamics!

If anyone has any suggestions as to what I could use to fill in the channel after I insert the new bracket and studs, let me know! I'd love to find something I could pour in that has the same density and strength of the original rubber.
Old 07-08-2012, 09:22 AM
jlucas
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MongooseGA
If anyone has any suggestions as to what I could use to fill in the channel after I insert the new bracket and studs, let me know! I'd love to find something I could pour in that has the same density and strength of the original rubber.
How about windshield urethane? I've not seen it used for this before but it's tenacious stuff once dry.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:14 AM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

The 74-77 were basically square, same width flares front and rear. Exceptions were the 74 Carrera and the 76-77 Carrera 3.0. Use the VIN decoder in the post above to see what you have, or get a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. You have a 77, with a 3.0, SC flares and euro rear bumper (Carrera 3.0s I think were not U.S. models). It's either just an updated 2.7 car, or you may have scored.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:29 PM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

The 74-77 were basically square, same width flares front and rear. Exceptions were the 74 Carrera and the 76-77 Carrera 3.0. Use the VIN decoder in the post above to see what you have, or get a Certificate of Authenticity from Porsche. You have a 77, with a 3.0, SC flares and euro rear bumper (Carrera 3.0s I think were not U.S. models). It's either just an updated 2.7 car, or you may have scored.
Decoder above only does 17-digit VINs. I'll see if I can dig up a 10 digit decoder around somewhere.

I'm under the impression that the engine was swapped out, but I have no documentation to prove it. I'll see if I can contact my local dealer tomorrow and have then run the VIN and tell me all about it.

Is it safe to assume a '77 Carrera 3.0 is a more rare/ valuable car?
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Amochosto
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 38 Posts

Here's a decoder for all Porsche model years.

http://stuttcars.com/technical/vin-decoder/
Old 07-08-2012, 06:03 PM
Carrera51
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Looks like based on the decoder its a 77 911S that's had a 3.0 swap and SC flares welded on. I say find yourself a pair of black seats from a 78-84 and make a nice driver out of it. I'd even ditch the tail on it and see if you can find a tail from a 76-77 930. Is there an option code sticker on the inside of the trunk lid. Not sure if they put those there on the 70s cars. My 84 still had it's sticker which contained the paint code. If not there, the COA from Porsche will contain that information.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:32 PM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

Looks like based on the decoder its a 77 911S that's had a 3.0 swap and SC flares welded on. I say find yourself a pair of black seats from a 78-84 and make a nice driver out of it. I'd even ditch the tail on it and see if you can find a tail from a 76-77 930. Is there an option code sticker on the inside of the trunk lid. Not sure if they put those there on the 70s cars. My 84 still had it's sticker which contained the paint code. If not there, the COA from Porsche will contain that information.
Interesting. I'll have to look for a seam for welded in rear fenders. Would it be visible from inside the fender, or inside the cabin with the panels removed?

The only goal I have for the car is to be a driver. It's not a show car or concourse gem. It turns heads now, I'll put my own spin on it, clean it up, and enjoy it for a good while.
Old 07-10-2012, 12:12 AM
allaircooled
3rd Gear

He posted his paint code on Pelican. Ice green metallic. Same as my car was originally and soon to be again.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:00 AM
MongooseGA
Intermediate

Just a quick update. Last week I pulled out the fan/shroud/alternator to get them cleaned up. Since they're really the only things visible when you pop the deck lid, they're the money makers.

I haven't gotten to do the valve adjustment or anything else mechanical yet. I got rained out on my days off. I think my dad is also willing to volunteer his garage for an engine drop soon, so I may just wait.

In the mean time, I fixed a pretty substantial leak in the cabin. Turns out, there's a hose between the smugglers box and cowl. That rubber grommet seal was not 'sealing', and the weather stripping around the hood was funneling water right into the gap. Needless to say, after some heavy rain the car would have a standing puddle in the front floorboards. No rust to be found, thankfully.

I also took some time and finally cleaned up the cabin a little. With the front carpets out I vacuumed up 35 years of pocket lint and whatnot. Wiped down the soft surfaces, too. Just some cell phone pics for posterity. It actually cleaned up pretty well. Carpets/leather/vinyl are all in great shape. This car must have spent some time being garaged.

A sag-free head liner!

I'm spending my evening hand polishing the fan before it goes to powdercoating. Considering a gloss black fan and silver on the housing. Maybe gold on the pulley to sync up with the original gold finish it had.

Anyone ever get 'old car smell' out of an old car before? I'm looking into that...

Quick Reply: New to Porsche.Just bought a 77 911 Coupe.