Sponsored by: Intercity Lines, LLC

Call me crazy but

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Call me crazy but

...it's in the 100's and I'm pulling the AC out of my '83 sc. I've decided what I want to do with the car.
It's bone stock and original.
Everything I remove to lighten it up I'll safely save as is but it is going to get RS door panels, everything easily removed...back seats etc, console, ..removed.
I've been driving with the windows down in 105 and I found out I don't melt.
I will not do any mods that can't be reversed.
At 221K miles she still runs really well but I'll do a rebuild on her early next year and do the interior myself.
Stripped down basic Porsche.
I have a friend with a local auto repair/paint business that will repaint the hood, bumper (hundreds of small paint chips..actually 221 K's worth) and retain as much of the original paint.... as possible even the slightly discolored (from engine heat) rear hood as I like the patina.
I'll remove the huge rear bumper blocks but not sure about the side lower valances. Not sure if I'll go with dif bumpers or not...the alloy is pretty light as is.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:06 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 51 Posts

Once it's stripped, it'll stay that way. I pulled my AC while living in Dallas.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:09 AM
Carrera3.2LG50
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're not crazy, you're a man with a plan.
I still have all the AC parts in my car, but it's just extra weight I'm carrying around since it doesn't work anyway... My car is only a weekend driver, so I have not been able to justify the expense of redoing it.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:36 AM
irobertson
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm doing some of the same. AC is already gone. I'm in the middle of doing the engine, and when it goes back in the big air filter box is turning into a K&N cone and I'm backdating the heat so the other side is easy to work on too. The only non required thing that's going back is the cruise module, because it keeps me out of trouble ;-)
At one time I was worried about what would happen if I ever decided/needed to sell. Now my entire focus has changed to making the car what I want it to be.
Old 06-24-2012, 01:15 AM
Reiver
Drifting

I like it as is too. Only 'original' once but once you start it is no longer 'original' so might as well take it to a place you'll enjoy it.
Bare bones performance I enjoy more than a comfortable cruiser.
I want the longevity of the original 3.0 as it'll get driven a lot, I like their bulletproofness....what type of cam upgrade is possible while retaining that reliability and high mileage capability?
If I can't get both I'll go with a stock grind.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:10 AM
rusnak
I haddah Google dat
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

105F is way to hot to go without AC. It gets in the 110F to 115F here, and you'd be crazy to drive without AC and tinted windows during the day.

I remember when I got my first 911, I had been driving the 914-6 as a daily driver for a few years, and before that I had a BMW with unreliable AC. I was so pleased with the quiet comfort of driving with the windows closed and having a nice quiet ride to enjoy the radio.

Call me crazy too, but in a different way. I just spent a few bucks on R-12 and mineral oil to get the AC on the work truck running again, and I am again taken aback by the ability to drive in cold, quiet environs when it's 105F outside.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:37 AM
Reiver
Drifting

Doesn't bother me. I run 3-4 miles a day at mid day...today 103.
I enjoy a bare bones performance car, besides, I can drive the Caddy if I feel like doing the relaxed thing.
I believe I'll enjoy the SC much more when it is stripped/lightened and more performance worked into it.
Have not figured out the performance part yet.....cams, piston displacement or larger lump.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:58 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by rusnak
105F is way to hot to go without AC. It gets in the 110F to 115F here, and you'd be crazy to drive without AC and tinted windows during the day.
Know how many 911s, hell all Porsches, had non-functioning (read: no) A/C in Phoenix when I had my shop going in the '80s? That said, I cobbled together a neat setup of cast off parts to install in my '68. And it didn't make a damn bit of difference on track.

Originally Posted by Reiver
I believe I'll enjoy the SC much more when it is stripped/lightened and more performance worked into it.
Have not figured out the performance part yet.....cams, piston displacement or larger lump.
See above on Ed's former car. I worked on it a bit today, and actually drove it around tonight. Great build in doing the 3.4L, but he basically spent the price of the car again to accomplish that.
Old 06-24-2012, 03:57 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by race911
Know how many 911s, hell all Porsches, had non-functioning (read: no) A/C in Phoenix when I had my shop going in the '80s? That said, I cobbled together a neat setup of cast off parts to install in my '68. And it didn't make a damn bit of difference on track.

See above on Ed's former car. I worked on it a bit today, and actually drove it around tonight. Great build in doing the 3.4L, but he basically spent the price of the car again to accomplish that.
I'll just strip off whatever weight I can and go from there....I do have a wife enforced budget
Old 06-24-2012, 04:11 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Actually, the motor cost about 80% more than I originally paid for the whole car, which wasn't a wreck btw, but needed a little cosmetic freshening. Power is nice, but suspension, lightening, and good tires would be first. Then brakes, then HP.
Old 06-24-2012, 10:10 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Originally Posted by Ed Hughes
Actually, the motor cost about 80% more than I originally paid for the whole car, which wasn't a wreck btw, but needed a little cosmetic freshening. Power is nice, but suspension, lightening, and good tires would be first. Then brakes, then HP.
Good suggestion and that's about my plan.

I took the York AC unit off today..basically everything in the engine bay. I'm guessing 20 lbs or so.
I'd guess any advantage would be where that 20 lbs sits...hung as far back as you possibly can in the car. Porsche didn't mess around with flimsy AC mounts, they are stout and heavy.
I'll strip the fwd stuff this week.
Damn! There is an motor under there...that is the other nice deal....access.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:23 AM
Reiver
Drifting

weight saving so far. 46.3 lbs
I've pulled everything from the engine bay except the primary hoses that travel underneath the car to the front components.
I emptied the smugglers box of its unit and taken the center console out.
All of that, brackets bolts etc weighed 46.3 lbs.
I still have the left wheel well unit and front condensor and pump to pull. Then the piping.
Smugglers box looked really nice btw...no rust just dirty. Now I can smuggle something.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Reiver
Drifting

Got the rest out today...all of the hoses, front blower, expansion deal in the left front wheel well, lower condenser and guard.
Another 20. 2 lbs so all together about 66.5 lb reduction.

If you have an SC with AC i'd suggest cleaning the left front wheel well forward on top of the grouped hoses...there was a lot of compacted dirt there as there is a pocket where the hoses lay just above the washer resevoir.

Question...is the round bar that protects the front condensor required when the AC is not used...is that on non AC cars...it almost looks like a sway bar for identification?
Old 06-26-2012, 10:14 PM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Not required, but I left mine on for some skid protection.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:41 PM
Reiver
Drifting

I think I'll do the same, protects the tub...thanks.

Quick Reply: Call me crazy but